Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
A commenter on InsideEVs made a great point: there should be work surfaces/trays in the front so you can get stuff done while commuting.

I'm guessing a sudden crash would be bad with a tray down in front of your mid section, similar to how airlines tell you to put your trays up when there's really bad turbulence.

No steering wheel airbag? What a hoot!
It's a mockup, so I think you won't see the airbag hatch. Passenger side has one that opens from a little hatch on top of the hatch, seems easy enough to mirror that on the driver's side.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Bolt cabin was designed to be an urban taxi. As an AV, passengers would pile into the rear first, because of its ample head/foot room. Only if there were more than two would anyone sit up front.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I think that most passengers will prefer sitting in front, since watching the Bolt AV in action is part of the show.

This will be the first large scale example of level four AV technology, where the vehicle is completely autonomous, but not yet able to handle all weather and road conditions. It’s likely there will be restrictions on speed and time of day for operation, as well as weather related limits.

Also, the Bolt AV will operate only in pre-defined geographic areas that have been extensively pre-mapped.

Still, rolling out level four automation on a larger scale in 2019 is remarkable, and will put to rest the claim that GM is not really committed to EVs and AVs. This is no marketing trick.

I still think it may be a decade before we see AVs capable of level five full autonomy under all driving conditions. However, I also didn’t expect GM to roll-out this testing so soon, so maybe a decade is too pessimistic. It will be very interesting to see how well the Bolt AV does during these tests, and also how quickly GM or others can get to a level five AV.

Wall Street has tagged Tesla as the ultimate market disruptor in the auto industry. Could it be they’re overlooking the company that was first to deliver an affordable 200+ mile EV, and will be testing the next generation of AVs in 2019?

Reactions: quirkySquirt

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
The Bolt cabin was designed to be an urban taxi. As an AV, passengers would pile into the rear first, because of its ample head/foot room. Only if there were more than two would anyone sit up front.
A Checker Manhattan was the only cab that would allow “piling into”. Two does not make a pile. Five does.

·
Registered
360 Posts
So what happens in the taco truck scenario?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Stopping at Taco trucks is a feature, not a bug.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
And how does the driver let the car know that it prefers "fish tacos", instead of sausage?

·
Registered
979 Posts
C. Fish or sausage tacos are not allowed in the Cruise AV, as unpleasant odors left in the cabin may offend next customer(s),
D. If customer wishes to cause a "scene" with driver about not getting his fish taco (or any other controlled substance). In lieu of a driver customer can talk immediately with Remote Support:
■: "If something goes wrong, riders can talk with remote-support by pushing a button"
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/general-motors/2018/01/12/gm-cruise-av-works/109381224/

E. Phase II of Cruise AV includes Ejection Seat as extra cost option for purposes of dealing with unruly customers, terrorists, etc

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow! I had no idea GM had level 4 tech although I did hear an analyst recently say that there was speculation that the auto drive tech in one of the Cadillacs was way ahead of Tesla. But he made it sound like it was in the Level 2.5 range. This is stunning!

Wall Street has tagged Tesla as the ultimate market disruptor in the auto industry. Could it be they’re overlooking the company that was first to deliver an affordable 200+ mile EV, and will be testing the next generation of AVs in 2019?
Yes they did! I think someone needs to make a new documentary:
Who SAVED the Electric Car?

But that's not as sexy as a Big Oil conspiracy movie so I'm guessing we won't see that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A commenter on InsideEVs made a great point: there should be work surfaces/trays in the front so you can get stuff done while commuting.

I'm guessing a sudden crash would be bad with a tray down in front of your mid section, similar to how airlines tell you to put your trays up when there's really bad turbulence.

It's a mockup, so I think you won't see the airbag hatch. Passenger side has one that opens from a little hatch on top of the hatch, seems easy enough to mirror that on the driver's side.
a laptop accelerated by an airbag sounds like the beginning of a bad day eh :)

I've often wondered about a seat that pivots to face the back. There was a concept I think Ford had that was called the Ford Desk. It was a mock up of an Explorer that had a full desk in the back, you parked and flipped around and got to work. I would think at least a seat facing backward would allow for more protection, but you'd need something to lock down whatever you're working on. I doubt crashes would happen as much as they do now, but with non-AV vehicles around you for at least a decade, i'd prefer manual controls still and not incent people to completely ignore the road just yet.

I'll be happy when it gets here, but I think during the transition we as a collective species aren't ready to just ignore the road.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
WI think someone needs to make a new documentary:
Who SAVED the Electric Car?

But that's not as sexy as a Big Oil conspiracy movie so I'm guessing we won't see that.
To be fair, the documentary cited many reasons why the EV died, not just big bad oil.

a laptop accelerated by an airbag sounds like the beginning of a bad day eh :) I doubt crashes would happen as much as they do now, but with non-AV vehicles around you for at least a decade, i'd prefer manual controls still and not incent people to completely ignore the road just yet.

I'll be happy when it gets here, but I think during the transition we as a collective species aren't ready to just ignore the road.
Laptop to face might be better than some of the Takata airbags that fire birdshot at your face. Now I have a mental image of a mini Cheney wearing an orange hunting vest, hanging out in the airbag compartment.

With the number of distracted people on the road, we're already in need of automated systems to take over. Sure, it will perpetuate our reliance on technology and cause people to be less attentive, but there will still be a net benefit.

Eventually the systems will get so good that we won't build cars with crumple zones, airbags, and seatbelts. When things are safe enough, they don't require those features, just as you don't wear a seat belt on a bus or train. Perhaps seatbelts will still exist for those rare times the car has to stop suddenly for an animal or pedestrian.

Finally, I will never accept a level 5 car. As I've said elsewhere, there are instances where the driver needs to override the built in logic. If an angry mob of protesters are surrounding a vehicle, I don't want the car to offer me up as a sacrifice, but instead plow through the hoard. Similarly, if there is unending pedestrian traffic, you need to slowly creep through the crowd rather than wait an infinite amount of time to proceed.

·
Registered
979 Posts
BTW, the Tesla model 3 seems like a natural AV. Just lop off the steering wheel and the screen that's presently on the dashboard between the front seats.

It could represent for Tesla a way of finally making a profit. Otherwise they're either going to shoot themselves in the foot with the 3, (diversions from S and X) and/or get run over by competition in the "affordable EV" category. Unfortunately tho the current model 3's back seat isn't good for taller passengers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts