Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Nissan has been using this same setup on their Leaf for ten years, on over 450K vehicles. Anybody know how many of their fuses have failed?

·
Registered
4,808 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
My understanding is that GM does not sell them separately. There appears to be only one part number for the complete assembly.
I did see that you can buy the fuse separately and just bolt it into the old lever. I'm definitely not doing that because there are a lot of places that sell that 400A/500V fuse and I'm not taking the chance it will somehow be incompatible. Plus the fuse alone costs more than 24294004 from GM. If I get the same "pound sand" reply from the second place I ordered 24294004 I'm just going to have to wait until they are no longer on national backorder... and hope my car doesn't die in the mean time. Seems like the failure rate isn't very high but I'd certainly like to do it anyway just for the peace of mind. Seems like more 2019's are failing the older they get so I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being a recall. Eventually.

Mike

·
Registered
32 Posts
Got a call from my dealer today; the part came in and my Bolt is ready. I was driving when he called and didn’t have the wherewithal to ask the part number. I’ll report back after I pick it up in the morn.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I got a call from the second place I tried to use to order the part. They said the part was on nationwide backorder and it could be 2-3 weeks: what did I want to do? I said it wasn't a big rush: just order it and ship it whenever it comes in. So assuming I eventually get it, I'll make a video on replacing it. It'll either end with success or me having to get the car towed because I did something wrong. :D

Mike

·
Registered
545 Posts
...or worse. Be careful with those high voltage components.
Agree. Even though there should be no power to that fuse with the 12v battery disconnected, I have my lineman's gloves that I will wear when removing the old fuse and replacing it. You have to treat it like a weapon: assume it is loaded at all times. Simple procedure to remove/install but don't take chances with high voltages.

Mike

·
Registered
2019 Chevy bolt ev premier
13 Posts
I purchased my 2019 Bolt brand new in Sept. of last year with about 38 miles on the odometer.

Yesterday, while driving in the FastTrak, without warning the car jolted pretty hard and i look down on the dash to see propulsion system was lost and the would no longer accelerate. Afterwards pulling over, I kept getting an error conditions not ready to shift, the little globe looking display with "initializing shift" or something along those lines, and the car range dropped from 138mi to 0.

Luckily there was a place for me to pull over (there are many parts of the FasTrak that does not have a shoulder) and was able to get the car towed to the dealer right before they closed. When the car arrived at the dealer, mileage went back to 138 but the color of the range indicators were still "orange" not green, and the car still was unable to shift into drive. Car did get into Neutral okay.

Sadly they had NO loaner cars available which puts me out of work as I have no other transportation.

The car just over 12k miles and I have had no other major issues with the car.

This has left me with a really bad taste with the car, as the way the car dies without ANY WARNINGS what-so-ever and put me in a very dangerous situation.

Below is a list of codes pulled from the onstar service diagnostic. The first the rep said when they pulled the codes was "WOW! Your car has a ton of error codes."

ModuleDiagnostic CodeDiagnostic InformationRecommended Action
SDM - Airbag SystemNoneNo Error Code FoundNone
VIU - OnStar SystemNoneNo Error Code FoundNone
HCP - Hybrid Control ProcessorP1AEEThe electric propulsion system is not performing as expected. Please service immediatelyService right away
BOI - Bulb Outage IndicatorsNoneNo Error Code FoundNone
ABS - Braking and Stability SystemNoneNo Error Code FoundNone
VIC - VEHICLE INTEGRATION CONTROLP0D09The Lithium-Ion Battery is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Hybrid Battery System which is a high voltage battery used to propel your vehicle.Service within 1 day
VIC - VEHICLE INTEGRATION CONTROLP0D26The Lithium-Ion Battery is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Hybrid Battery System which is a high voltage battery used to propel your vehicle.Service within 7 days
VIC - VEHICLE INTEGRATION CONTROLP1AE6The Engine and Transmission System is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Hybrid Powertrain System that monitors and controls the use of power between the combustion engine and the electric drive system.Service within 7 days
VIC - VEHICLE INTEGRATION CONTROLP1EC0IGNORE UNKNOWN DTCNo action needed
VIC - VEHICLE INTEGRATION CONTROLP0C78IGNORE UNKNOWN DTCNo action needed
VIC - VEHICLE INTEGRATION CONTROLP0ABCThe Engine and Transmission System is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Hybrid Powertrain System that monitors and controls the use of power between the combustion engine and the electric drive system.Service within 7 days
VIC - VEHICLE INTEGRATION CONTROLP0ABB
VIC - VEHICLE INTEGRATION CONTROLP1FFFThe Lithium-Ion Battery is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Onboard Charging System which manages your vehicles battery pack charge level.Service at your convenience

Any insight on some of these codes?

I got an update yesterday from the dealer who said it was the high voltage battery that failed. I suppose they are still having battery issues with the 2019 models. I do feel that is a lot of codes for just the battery though.
I bought mine a month earlier than your model and you just scared about a year of life off of me

·
Registered
32 Posts
Picked up my Bolt today and did indeed get part #24294004. The invoice mentions a document #5086267, which I assume is the service bulletin for the MSD.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased my 2019 Bolt brand new in Sept. of last year with about 38 miles on the odometer.

Yesterday, while driving in the FastTrak, without warning the car jolted pretty hard and i look down on the dash to see propulsion system was lost and the would no longer accelerate. Afterwards pulling over, I kept getting an error conditions not ready to shift, the little globe looking display with "initializing shift" or something along those lines, and the car range dropped from 138mi to 0.

Luckily there was a place for me to pull over (there are many parts of the FasTrak that does not have a shoulder) and was able to get the car towed to the dealer right before they closed. When the car arrived at the dealer, mileage went back to 138 but the color of the range indicators were still "orange" not green, and the car still was unable to shift into drive. Car did get into Neutral okay.

Sadly they had NO loaner cars available which puts me out of work as I have no other transportation.

The car just over 12k miles and I have had no other major issues with the car.

This has left me with a really bad taste with the car, as the way the car dies without ANY WARNINGS what-so-ever and put me in a very dangerous situation.

Below is a list of codes pulled from the onstar service diagnostic. The first the rep said when they pulled the codes was "WOW! Your car has a ton of error codes."

ModuleDiagnostic CodeDiagnostic InformationRecommended Action
SDM - Airbag SystemNoneNo Error Code FoundNone
VIU - OnStar SystemNoneNo Error Code FoundNone
HCP - Hybrid Control ProcessorP1AEEThe electric propulsion system is not performing as expected. Please service immediatelyService right away
BOI - Bulb Outage IndicatorsNoneNo Error Code FoundNone
ABS - Braking and Stability SystemNoneNo Error Code FoundNone
VIC - VEHICLE INTEGRATION CONTROLP0D09The Lithium-Ion Battery is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Hybrid Battery System which is a high voltage battery used to propel your vehicle.Service within 1 day
VIC - VEHICLE INTEGRATION CONTROLP0D26The Lithium-Ion Battery is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Hybrid Battery System which is a high voltage battery used to propel your vehicle.Service within 7 days
VIC - VEHICLE INTEGRATION CONTROLP1AE6The Engine and Transmission System is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Hybrid Powertrain System that monitors and controls the use of power between the combustion engine and the electric drive system.Service within 7 days
VIC - VEHICLE INTEGRATION CONTROLP1EC0IGNORE UNKNOWN DTCNo action needed
VIC - VEHICLE INTEGRATION CONTROLP0C78IGNORE UNKNOWN DTCNo action needed
VIC - VEHICLE INTEGRATION CONTROLP0ABCThe Engine and Transmission System is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Hybrid Powertrain System that monitors and controls the use of power between the combustion engine and the electric drive system.Service within 7 days
VIC - VEHICLE INTEGRATION CONTROLP0ABB
VIC - VEHICLE INTEGRATION CONTROLP1FFFThe Lithium-Ion Battery is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Onboard Charging System which manages your vehicles battery pack charge level.Service at your convenience

Any insight on some of these codes?

I got an update yesterday from the dealer who said it was the high voltage battery that failed. I suppose they are still having battery issues with the 2019 models. I do feel that is a lot of codes for just the battery though.
Before I bought my bolt I rented at least seven different bolts for my Uber gig. I ama VERY HARD driver, and before I drive the bolt I had already made up my mi d that I’d never buy another American car because my previous cars couldn’t hold up to my driving. Something would always break
After driibung the rentals, I just had to have a bolt, and I bought mine. Ur problems seems to be a one off issue. Possibly software rated and if so there is a quick fix by doing over the air update. The bolts had an issue where the battery range wasn’t being read correctly so there were a lot of bolts suddenly stopping just like urs did, without any kind of warnings. They fixed it by updating the software and there were no more issues. I’m assuming that may have been the problem with urs.
I had another issue with my car but it was related to a major accident but Chevy honors their warrantee very well They are great with the car and will fix any issues. But take my word. You will not have many issues with this car. It’s the most durable, dependable car I’ve ever driven.
Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When I bought my Bolt I realized my Electrical knowledge was limited and thought an extended warranty would probably be a good idea. Now that I see it everyday and read these periodic failure issue, get a good extended warranty if you’re buying an electric car. And if you’re leasing one do not exceed your lease mileage limits. In the grand scheme of things a fuse failure is a best case scenario, there are a lot of expensive looking boxes under the hood. It must be one big fuse and with the described location GM should have put in a clear plastic cover for viewing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Very interesting thread. In my 40-year career as a master electrician, I have no knowledge of planned replacement for heavy power fuses (admittedly, I'm talking AC not DC here). Obviously they heat/cool as loads rise and fall, but even when we service large switchgear doing scheduled preventive maintenance, clean and tighten all bolts with a torque wrench, etc., there is NEVER a requirement to change fuses -- I'm talking federal and milspec work, very high level of electrical specification. Whether 600v gear or 20kV switchboards, fuses do not get changed unless they fail.

I'm wondering whether it's the physical motion of the car that could induce the failure, if the fuse 'bounces' and loosens in the MSD causing very local heating; does anyone think that's possible?

My '19 Bolt is fine, BTW -- purchased Dec '18 and working flawlessly.

·
Registered
545 Posts
That might be a possibility. That fuse is nothing but three metal plates separated by a few dozen tiny ribs connecting them. I can see if they are the wrong spec metal (wrong thickness/tolerance), those ribs could start to stress with repeated current and fail one by one and cause higher resistance.

P.S. If yours was purchased in December 2018, it was likely built months before that. The bad fuses are from Dec 2018 through May 2019 so you are likely before the window of bad fuses.

Mike

·
Registered
32 Posts
Plugged-in my Bolt, which I just got back yesterday after MSD replacement, and got an “Unable to charge” error. (I have a Level 2 charger if that matters).

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Plugged-in my Bolt, which I just got back yesterday after MSD replacement, and got an “Unable to charge” error. (I have a Level 2 charger if that matters).

Any thoughts?
I did not have that issue.
Have you tried the 120v charger that came with the car?

maybe a charging setting for off peak charging only?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am going to guess it is the MSD.

Glad to hear your car is back in operation after the MSD replacement. I just updated my own instance of this with the repair codes noted on my invoice when I got the car back - seems to be the same as these.

·
Registered
314 Posts
That might be a possibility. That fuse is nothing but three metal plates separated by a few dozen tiny ribs connecting them. I can see if they are the wrong spec metal (wrong thickness/tolerance), those ribs could start to stress with repeated current and fail one by one and cause higher resistance.

P.S. If yours was purchased in December 2018, it was likely built months before that. The bad fuses are from Dec 2018 through May 2019 so you are likely before the window of bad fuses.

Mike
How did you get this date range? I can not find above mentioned bulletin anywhere. Got a link?

·
Registered
545 Posts
How did you get this date range? I can not find above mentioned bulletin anywhere. Got a link?
Here's the link I found. I could only find it for the recall done in South Korea. I realize there's no guarantee that Bolts manufactured in the U.S. have the same date range as ones built in SK but I think it gives an idea of the date range of the problematic part:

Mike

·
Registered
314 Posts
Thanks, spent last night reading all the old posts. I thought this was recent but the MSD problem has been going on for a long time. I guess I missed it first time around. Hope GM get off their collective butts and issues a recall. My car is a 5/18 which Is outside the Korean recall but clearly this has happened to owners as far back as ’17 and up to mid ‘19 so as far as I’m concerned the whole lot is in doubt. I wonder if they would reimburse me if I did the swap proactively? And am I getting a better part?

61 - 80 of 83 Posts