Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

101 - 104 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'm not going to criticize any of these scenarios/plans. They are all legit. If you are going to buy just the fuse though, my thought is: it is very unlikely a dealer is going to unbolt the fuse out of the MSD and bolt in an eBay fuse. They'll likely insist that they only install GM parts. So... what I guess you could do is carry the fuse and a wrench the proper size for the fuse bolts, replace the fuse, and then have it towed to the dealer and just insist that they clear any codes to get it running again. That way they won't have to install any aftermarket parts and be liable for that.

I'd also like to point out that there is more to part 24294004 than just the fuse. There are two other (smaller) contacts in that part. My guess is that those two smaller contacts in the middle are probably some sort of current or resistance sensor. For all we know, that could be the piece that is bad and not the fuse. Just wanted to throw that in there. It's more likely that it is just the big fuse but who knows.

Edit: one other kink... who even knows what the torque specs are for those fuse bolts? It's not a serviceable part and torque could be really important on a part like that.

Mike

·
Registered
310 Posts
If your car isn't among the lot that has the potentially bad fuse, then I don't see the point with replacing it with another that could just as easily go bad at some point. If your car is in the recall window, then have the dealer do it for free. The problem was a known bad batch.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
So... what I guess you could do is carry the fuse and a wrench the proper size for the fuse bolts, replace the fuse, and then have it towed to the dealer and just insist that they clear any codes to get it running again.
I like that. Plus, if I replace it, I might find that it works and clearing the codes was not necessary after all. It might never happen. I've worn a parachute in an airplane, but never had to use one.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Does anyone know if the fuse is considered to be part of the 8-year / 100,000 mile electric propulsion system warranty? My manual describes "high voltage wiring", among other things, as being covered by that warranty, but doesn't specifically mention the MSD.

101 - 104 of 104 Posts