Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, it's a 2019 LT with 10k miles, just switched over from a 14 Volt.

Love it, however, I noticed when taking an off ramp or when we hit these horrible Bridge transitions in Oklahoma or potholes, the car feels like it's skating all 4 wheels on ice for a second or so.
I thought it was my imagination , but my wife just emailed me saying exactly that and to check her car.

Anyone experienced this as well? Tire pressures are all good and in good shape, no accidents.

Thanks! Dave

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Welcome @Jester84 to the forum. Don't recall feeling anything like you describe. Maybe the shorter wheel base of the Bolt compared to your previous vehicle? Wouldn't hurt to have someone look at the suspension components. Could be a loose tie rod or something similar.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
If it lasts a whole second, it may be a component problem, as discussed. The Bolt EV recommended tire pressure of 38 psi is slightly higher than the 30-35 range for most auto tires. IF your pressure is a little high, say 40 psi (which some here on the Forum do to increase range by decreasing rolling resistance), you will notice every bump more. The "instant" torque of an EV means that, if cruise control is "on", bumping the tire up into the air may allow it to spin a little faster, giving the impression of instability when it contacts the pavement again. Lastly, having the weight distribution nearly equal on all four wheels is both an advantage and a disadvantage, as it may behave a little more squirrelly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so we have owned 2 prius, a spark ev, a volt and the bolt, not new to hybrid cars or how they act or feel. Same roads traveled in all these cars, never felt this sensation whatsoever.

Also owned over 600 cars and never felt this lol. It's like hitting a patch of ice and sliding a tiny bit over, very odd.

Since no one else is chiming in with a similar experience , I'm guessing there is a loose sway bar or possibly defective part. I'll get it in the shop and have them look.

Thanks!

·
Registered
658 Posts
I've felt a similar sensation in my 2019 when going over a patch of rough pavement at speeds of 70 MPH or higher. It doesn't happen at lower speeds. It's pretty subtle on mine and I'd equate it with just a hint of what you'd think it would feel like to drive through sand: just some wiggle back and forth. I'm convinced these cars have both the tires and alignment set up for economy so they wander a bit more than most cars. They probably have less toe in the front so they wander a bit more when the road surface varies.

Mike

·
Registered
574 Posts
Sounds to me like you are encountering a slick spot in the road while accelerating, creating more torque than the tires can maintain grip. Try taking your foot off the accelerator momentarily when you see the slick spot coming up...

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you're in Tulsa, I feel for you. Those are some of the worst roads I've experienced anywhere and that's from just a few business trips. Cali roads aren't much better and I don't experience what you are describing in my '19 so hopefully the techs can find out what's wrong. Keep us posted-

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
IIRC, Bolt owners have complained about that same feeling when applying the brakes on a rough surface... and it actually makes it feel as though the car is accelerating vs. braking.

If it always happens on the same roadway, disable the Traction Control and Stabilatrak and see what that does.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Ok, so we have owned 2 prius, a spark ev, a volt and the bolt, not new to hybrid cars or how they act or feel. Same roads traveled in all these cars, never felt this sensation whatsoever.

Also owned over 600 cars and never felt this lol. It's like hitting a patch of ice and sliding a tiny bit over, very odd.

Since no one else is chiming in with a similar experience , I'm guessing there is a loose sway bar or possibly defective part. I'll get it in the shop and have them look.

Thanks!
One cannot argue with the driving experience another having owned 600 cars. OTOH, I've owned and driven much junk and jewels over the past sixty years; but the occasional complaints here about the Bolt handling and the OEM Michelin tires just don't correlate with my experience. I find the Bolt solidly planted at all speeds, predictable handling in wet or dry and the tires acceptable within any reasonable demand. That they occasionally spin when all that BEV torque is applied is more about the driver than the tires.

As previously mentioned, if your Bolt feels squirrlley, get a professional examination.

jack vines

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you feel it when you are slowing and in regen and hitting a rough patch of road, it is probably the traction control kicking in and disabling regen momentarily. It will turn off regen due to the rough road fooling the sensors into thinking the car is slipping or sliding.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
If you feel it when you are slowing and in regen and hitting a rough patch of road, it is probably the traction control kicking in and disabling regen momentarily. It will turn off regen due to the rough road fooling the sensors into thinking the car is slipping or sliding.
Interesting diagnosis. At what speeds would we most likely sense this?

I'm going to pay very close attention to see if I can feel it happen, but in three years of mostly local use, I haven't felt this on our 2017. My guess is it's because the only section of high speed freeways we drive are relatively good pavement.

jack vines

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have had it happen only a couple of times when I am slowing down in L at about 7 or 8 mph. On the driveway into work, there is a real bumpy patch of road caused by tree roots and it letts go for a second and feels like the tires lose traction.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
It's amazing how we all freak out when we lose regen. Full charge, forget to put in 'L', and now this possibility.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I feel like most people didn't fully read, it's not on deceleration, not in inclement weather, nothing to do with traction control or stabilitrak and not at 7-15 mph, it's at 45-75mph.

The rear struts are both leaking and causing it not to rebound properly. They are on the way to the dealer and should be on next this will hopefully.

Thanks for the input.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts