Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to headlights, the 2017 Bolt did not get the highest rating. I found this link on InsideEVs a few days ago. I didn't see anyone post, so here it is. I have not seen any report of a change for the 2018 headlights, but now it is acceptable and give the Bolt the same safety rating as the Tesla M3. Apparently the change was made in 2018 but not reported until the 2019 model year. :)

· Registered
2017 Bolt EV
10,163 Posts
Interesting that the article states "GM reported that the headlight aim had been adjusted during the 2018 model year to reduce glare." This sounds like a mere adjustment issue rather than some material change in the lights or the light housing. If true, then anyone can fix the issue simply by adjusting their headlights.

When I initially bought my 2017 Bolt I took it into a parking garage to check the headlights specifically because of the note in the IIHS rating. I found them to be adjusted too high - the cutoff point of the low beams actually rose higher the further out from the car you measured them. I adjusted them down so that the cutoff point descends by a couple of inches for every 30 feet or so - now it intersects the ground out ahead of the vehicle far enough for me to be comfortable.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.