Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was parking my Bolt, easing forward slowly in L. Easing up on the minimal accelerator pressure, I glanced back over my right shoulder to see if I had pulled forward sufficiently to clear a "no parking" sign. As I turned to look ahead again, the Bolt literally lept forward scaring me half to death. I was able to hit the brake quickly enough to just miss hitting the car parked in front of me. In my panicked state, I didn't have the presence of mind to look at what "gear" the shifter indicated. Since I had been driving in L, I was pressing a little on the accelerator pedal when this happened. It was sort of like it shifted itself into D from L. My first thought was that maybe I bumped the shifter with my right hand when I looked over my shoulder, but experimenting later seems to indicate that bumping the shifter when in L will not move it to D. It seems to require going to N before you can move it from L to D. I tried to replicate what happened in an empty parking lot but couldn't get it to do this. Any thoughts? Is this another manifestation of the Regen Glitch I see in other threads?

·
Registered
296 Posts
On my 2019, you only have to bump the shifter once to the rear and it'll toggle from L to D (or D back to L). You don't have to have your foot on the brake and you can be moving. If you do bump it from L to D, it will lurch forward if you are creeping because when bumped from L to D, it changes the accelerator pedal map.

Mike

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I tried to replicate what happened in an empty parking lot but couldn't get it to do this. Any thoughts?
Suspect that the driver's side seatbelt had been unfastened. Once the seatbelt is unfastened, the car will enable the creep mode like it has in 'D' mode, even if staying in 'L' mode. It is unnerving the first time it happens.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Suspect that the driver's side seatbelt had been unfastened. Once the seatbelt is unfastened, the car will enable the creep mode like it has in 'D' mode, even if staying in 'L' mode. It is unnerving the first time it happens.
Interesting. What year? My 2019 doesn't do that. I often release my seatbelt when turning into the driveway since I pull into the driveway and stop at the end to get out and get the mail. I always drive in L and it never creeps when I take the seatbelt off.

Mike

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Interesting. What year? My 2019 doesn't do that. I often release my seatbelt when turning into the driveway since I pull into the driveway and stop at the end to get out and get the mail. I always drive in L and it never creeps when I take the seatbelt off.

Mike
That's right, seem to recall they changed the behavior on the 2019 model year.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts

1 - 6 of 6 Posts