Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Heaading out next Saturday to pick up a new Bolt....Maybe getting ahead of things but gonna need a 240V wall charger ....anyone out there have any experience with this one....it is advertised as various settable currents including 32 Amps which is what we need....$286 with shipping....will be hooked to a 40A 240V double breaker in the junction box. Thanks in advance for any info.
3030-PSE-32-XC-AS
Super Fast Duosida 25 Ft Cable, Level 2 EV Electric Vehicle Portable Car Charger - 32-AMP 220-240V 7.68 kW, NEMA 14-50P - Includes Deluxe Hard Case, Adjustable AMPs: 10,13,16,32 AMP, Plug J1772

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
It might be a fine EVSE... but the online descriptions all fail to mention UL Approval.
It may not seem like a big deal, but if something goes sideways- the finger pointing will point at the non-UL Approved device.

Some local utilities have up to $500 rebates on UL Approved EVSE, so check with your electrical utility... you may be happily surprised. I just got $500 back on a $549 JuiceBox Pro EVSE from our power co.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Below is what I copied from the Amazon website. The issue is Nissan, Tesla and the other all use different plugs. You need a J1772 connector. The photos shows the correct plug. But this statement shows EZLDirect does not really understand what they are selling.
Also as NY-Rob said it does not say it is UL approved.
It is also not sold by Amazon so if it doesn't work I don't think return is assured by Amazon.
Go to the EZLDirect website and this product is not even listed (but you can buy paper). It looks like they are a company that buys overstock or distressed items for resale - just my guess.

For the above reasons, I would stay away from this seller unless you can contact them directly and get a lot more information. And even then I would be concerned.
  • High Compatibility - Works with all major electric vehicle automakers such as Tesla, Nissan, Ford, Chevrolet, Mitsubishi, and more.
Then I went to the Duosida website https://duosidaevchargers.com/ . It shows a lot more info. Including that the 16 amp version is UL listed. They also include a link to contact them. If I were considering this purchase, I would go to them for more information. The 32 amp one does not indicate it is UL listed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought a Duosida EVSE, specifically the one offered by BougeEV which is ~$299 on Amazon. It has a nice case that comes with it, good for when traveling and definitely worth paying a bit more for. Bought it 4 months ago and it works great. I like that it has adjustable output: 32a, 16a and a couple lower settings. So, it can be used in circuits that are lower amperage. Overall it seems to be a robust unit and I'm happy with it. I chose to go this route because I wanted a portable unit. I had a NEMA 14-50 circuit installed in my garage for use with this, as I had no other convenient outlet available. I use mine with a JLONG 40a 40 foot extension chord designed for charging. Great combo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK we will order one....meanwhile we need to verify that the 120V charger included with our new 2019 Bolt can safly be used on 240V with a plug adapter. There are several claims to this.... BUT then there is a U-tube video showing step-by-step removing the 240V circuit board from inside a diferent charger and transplanting it into the Bolt charger....what is the truth?

·
Registered
25 Posts
OK we will order one....meanwhile we need to verify that the 120V charger included with our new 2019 Bolt can safly be used on 240V with a plug adapter. There are several claims to this.... BUT then there is a U-tube video showing step-by-step removing the 240V circuit board from inside a diferent charger and transplanting it into the Bolt charger....what is the truth?
I'm not clear about it, but it seems that it would require an appropriate adapter cable. I'm aware of some simple adapters that convert a 240V outlet into a couple of 120V outlets. As for the EVSE, you might want to consider whether you really need L2 charging at home. If you usually drive 50 miles a day or less, the included 120v charger could be enough, as long as you keep it plugged in when at home. I might go a couple of weeks before L2 charging, unless I'm travelling a lot in the summer.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I've used mine nearly 2 years on 240V. It's still plugged into 240V as I type this. Trust me, I did not transplant the board to get it to work.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've used mine nearly 2 years on 240V. It's still plugged into 240V as I type this. Trust me, I did not transplant the board to get it to work.
Can you provide more details? Did you build an adapter? Is your EVSE now compatible with 120V and 240V? Or is it flat-out converted to 240V only?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Can you provide more details? Did you build an adapter? Is your EVSE now compatible with 120V and 240V? Or is it flat-out converted to 240V only?
I ended up building an adapter so it would still work on 120V if need be. When I ordered my Bolt I ordered an extra EVSE. I took one apart thinking that I would permanently convert one to 240V by converting the cord like one would do with a dryer. But they solder the cord to the board and has extra wires for a temperature sensor. Abandoned that idea and just made an adapter without modifying the unit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
info here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
micantony
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing