Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
I bought my car back in May 2019. I have driven 115000 on it and I get 260 mile range. How cool 馃槑 is that. I charge everyday to full. I drive 200 miles a day....
Nice. I just bought a bolt a week ago and put 1k on it. Have you noticed any drop on the range? I鈥檓 getting about 260 on mostly hwy driving (with about 1/4 city). I鈥檓 hoping I don鈥檛 lose more than 10-15 percent in 2 years when I hit 100k. So far love the car and it鈥檚 more than paying for itself. Thanks for sharing your post
Too

Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
Good data point! Perhaps you could share any more info like battery degradation on an OBD 2 scanner, climate/state you live in, type of charger you use regularly (L2, DCFC, etc).

Registered
I love driving, but I think that even I'd burn out at that pace...
As the tile rep for Northern California in a CA based flooring company, I put 366k miles on a F150 business truck in just under six years.

I asked them if both the truck and myself could be taken back behind the barn and put out of our misery 馃樀

Registered
My stepdad drove a work truck 126,000 in 1 year. After 1 year the truck still looked good, and this was back in the day when car odometers only had 5 digits. So it appeared to be a 1 year old truck with 26,000 miles on it.

Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
90% level 2
5% fast level 3
5% level one

leave in the bay area

no maintenance at all. Only tire replaced every 60k miles
Great data here and love hearing about experiences like this. Bay Area living is great for an EV IMO cause the climate is great most of the time. Also, having access to a level two chargers makes the experience amazing.

Registered
I almost wish I still had a long commute! This could be my first car to reach 150K or more miles. Got in the 140's with a Honda Civic and Mazda Protege. With the aluminum sections and as an EV a Bolt could go several hundred thousand miles. Most people would want a change long before the car actually needs to be replaced.

What's the cheapest car to own? The one you can drive until it's scrap and worth $200 and with an EV you no longer have the ever increasing ICE repairs.

Registered
What's the cheapest car to own? The one you can drive until it's scrap and worth $200 and with an EV you no longer have the ever increasing ICE repairs.
I generally run my cars into the ground and while I'm hopeful that the Bolt will be less troublesome, there are still plenty of things to break down or wear out. Shocks, CV joints, radiators, steering components, etc. are just as likely to die on the Bolt as they are on any other car.

But yeah - no oil or oil filter changes, tuneups, vastly reduced brake pad and rotor worries. No burning oil and wondering how much longer your engine is going to hold together. It's great!

Registered
I generally run my cars into the ground and while I'm hopeful that the Bolt will be less troublesome, there are still plenty of things to break down or wear out. Shocks, CV joints, radiators, steering components, etc. are just as likely to die on the Bolt as they are on any other car.
I am most worried about the dozens of wheel, brake, steering, and other sensors, and the multiple computers controlling them. My last car, a stick shift, no AC, 1993 Nisan Sentra e had electronic ignition, and airbags. Thankfully, I drove it to the scrapyard at 380K miles without those ever failing.

Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
My stepdad drove a work truck 126,000 in 1 year. ..... odometers only had 5 digits.
So it appeared to be a 1 year old truck with 26,000 miles on it.
Moral test.... :rolleyes:
Did he sell it as such? So tempting....
Would I do the same?:rolleyes:

Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
...My last car, a stick shift, no AC, 1993 Nisan Sentra e had electronic ignition, and airbags. Thankfully, I drove it to the scrapyard at 380K miles without those ever failing.
Gather round.
Old cheap car story time!
Why did you drive it to it's 'Final Destination'? Some kid could have kept going with it, no?

I bought a brand new 1989 GEO Metro Base, which was the 58mpg hwy version that soon became the XFI model.
No AC, rubber side trim strip and a right outside rearview mirror. That's it. I believe it did not have airbags, can't find info now.
13 years later at 240k miles I sold it and the engine was in great shape, still not using a qt between 10k mi oil changes of Mobil 1. The right rocker panel was very rusted out, but still raring to go!
I then bought a used 2000 Honda Insight, rated 71mpg hwy, (EPA lowered all these numbers at some later date).
I thought I was in the future!! And I no longer had to sweat in the hot weather!

I think I'll keep this Bolt a long time. It suits my needs!

Registered
I am most worried about the dozens of wheel, brake, steering, and other sensors, and the multiple computers controlling them.
Ya know, that's always the thing that the dealers use to try to talk you into an extended warranty. "This car is filled with computers - do you realize how expensive those are to replace?!?!".

But I'm still driving my camperized 1993 Plymouth Voyager that I bought brand new off the lot. It has a sensor-driven computer-controlled engine and one of the very first of the Chrysler computer controlled transmissions. I've had my share of problems with the Voyager (I've gone through a couple of radiators, a couple of sets of driveshafts, brake pads and rotors, A/C compressor, the heater and A/C cores, etc. etc.). But I've never had a moment's problem with any of the electronics.

The car industry has decades of experience learning how to build circuit boards and components to survive the harsh environment of an automobile with its vibration and temperature extremes. If a car has survived the "infant mortality" period as mine has, the chances for electronic problems fall off quite a bit. In the meantime, the mechanical components wear with use, I have little doubt that I'll be seeing the need to deal with them over the life of the car.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts