Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

Registered
I bought my car back in May 2019. I have driven 115000 on it and I get 260 mile range. How cool 馃槑 is that. I charge everyday to full. I drive 200 miles a day....
that pumps me up, like a big dog!!

Registered
Yes, it's the electronics that is the concern now, not the usual physical wear items. Tesla was forced to replace their dead panels but had they not been I wonder how much it would cost for the owner? Or the next person buying a used car. Or those beautiful new full dash screens when those cars are past warranty.

Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
... Tesla was forced to replace their dead panels but had they not been I wonder how much it would cost for the owner? ...
Dunno, it's just a cheap chinese touch screen. $59?
Maybe it's hardened to handle the sun heat in the summer, so $79?
I thought it was an SD card built in that can only be overwritten so many times that made them fail.

Registered
Dunno, it's just a cheap chinese touch screen. $59?
Maybe it's hardened to handle the sun heat in the summer, so $79?
I thought it was an SD card built in that can only be overwritten so many times that made them fail.
You may not realize that even a little phone or tablet screen replacement costs much more than that. With some brief research it seems to be $1300 to $5000. Death of a center screen / touch screen after warranty

Registered
You may not realize that even a little phone or tablet screen replacement costs much more than that. With some brief research it seems to be $1300 to $5000. Death of a center screen / touch screen after warranty
Their wholesale cost from china. Of course they'll stick it to the customer. Good research! Are you ready to buy one?
Why the huge spread on this repair?

A definite time out failure that was expected to happen. Surprise !!!

Registered
Their wholesale cost from china. Of course they'll stick it to the customer. Good research! Are you ready to buy one?
Why the huge spread on this repair?

A definite time out failure that was expected to happen. Surprise !!!
I'm looking for information on buying one... but foe the same price I see in China! $4,400!

Registered
And these posts ate not going up...? Because I want to buy a car for the same low price as they do in China?

Registered
I generally run my cars into the ground and while I'm hopeful that the Bolt will be less troublesome, there are still plenty of things to break down or wear out. Shocks, CV joints, radiators, steering components, etc. are just as likely to die on the Bolt as they are on any other car.

But yeah - no oil or oil filter changes, tuneups, vastly reduced brake pad and rotor worries. No burning oil and wondering how much longer your engine is going to hold together. It's great!
Yeah ... it sounds great right now, but I'm thinking there'll be a "catch" with the battery packs.

I drive all my ICE vehicles at least 222,222 miles and - with all the parts available out there, and doing all the maintenance myself, I feel like I could keep them running forever - if I really wanted to - with no degradation in range or functionality..

But will the same be true with EVs ? What if battery degradation is not linear, and "drops off a cliff" at some point. Will I be able to replace the battery pack, or will I be forced to junk the vehicle?

And then, what will my EV "Total Cost of Ownership" look like at that point?

Registered
I drive all my ICE vehicles at least 222,222 miles .... But will the same be true with EVs ? What if battery degradation is not linear, and "drops off a cliff" at some point. Will I be able to replace the battery pack, or will I be forced to junk the vehicle?
Total Cost of Ownership" look like at that point?
Batteries on hybrids like the Prius have a pretty good track record over the long haul. Different technology on the Bolt, but the fact that GM hasn't mindlessly followed the herd in paring down fast charging times suggests to me that they've been very conservative with battery management.

When I purchased I decided that if I got 10 years out of the car I'd consider the experiment a success, and so far I've seen nothing to make me think I won't attain that and even more.

Registered
I know a lady who has had her Prius now for 13 years in Phoenix and She is just now noticing her battery is fading a little... the dealer says at some point it is going to quit her.
I think she is ready for an upgrade. I realize as most of us do that nothing lasts forever (at least in cars) So I have never owned a care more than 8 years, ever! Now if I could have afforded a Mazarati or similar I would have kept that , but no US made care is that special to me to keep for 15 years. Guess I am a sucker for newer, better and all the flashing lights... LOL
Love this community and all the opinions and ideas!! Keep them coming.
BER

Registered
I joined the forum because I'm trying to buy a used one (unbeatable price for EV) my current car is a 2007 Mazda 6 with 202,000 miles on it. It's got lots of cosmetic problems from being baked in the Florida weather for 13 years, the radiator leaks about a quart a month, the oil pan needs new threads for the plug, there is a leak from the hood release cable that makes my carpet wet when it rains (Florida), needs new bushings all around etc. It has lots of old car problems. BUT BUT BUT I will never ever call my car a POS because it has never once left me stranded (knocks on wood) the engine still runs great and it's drives straight at 80 MPH no problems. But today I test drove a Bolt and it made me want one even more. GOD IS THAT THING QUICK!!

Registered
... but I'm thinking there'll be a "catch" with the battery packs.

1. I drive all my ICE vehicles at least 222,222 miles and - ...I feel like I could keep them running forever - if I really wanted to - with no degradation in range or functionality..

2. But will the same be true with EVs ? What if battery degradation is not linear, and "drops off a cliff" at some point. Will I be able to replace the battery pack, or will I be forced to junk the vehicle?

3. And then, what will my EV "Total Cost of Ownership" look like at that point?
1. Gassers have degradation. At 222k miles are you saying it's not sipping more oil? It's just a fuel efficient as new? How many repairs were needed along the way?
And sometimes old Gassers go 'Bang' with a sudden mechanical breakdown.

2. Has there ever been an example of Li-ion degradation not being linear? There can be individual cell failures and replacing that cell or the module it is part of is how they are currently repaired. Keep in mind this is still <15 yr old tech. It will get better.

I point out to skeptics such as yourself that 'When' do you replace the battery pack is the question.
238 mi range new - 200 mi @ 120k - 170mi @ 220k , etc.. (all guesses, although there are really high mile Bolts out there. How are they doing?)

My Spark EV was rated 82 mi when new. Will I replace the pack when it is down to 45 mi range? I don't think so. It would still be fine for my commuting needs.

3. COO is the Big Plus for EV's!!
Think of all the time you spent diverting to and from a gas station, standing out in the cold and rain, and the $.
Think of all the time you spent driving to and from and auto parts store to get oil change supplies, doing the deed and then returning the old oil.
(Or driving to and from the Jiffy to have an 18 yr old do the oil change for you,,, for the less manly... ;))
Time and $ on the various filters in the house and all other required maintenance...

To me these are THE really big PLUS to EV Ownership.
Time on these ICE related chores is not missed.
Some how it should be Cost and Time of Ownership.

Registered
1. Gassers have degradation. At 222k miles are you saying it's not sipping more oil? It's just a fuel efficient as new? How many repairs were needed along the way?
And sometimes old Gassers go 'Bang' with a sudden mechanical breakdown.
I just passed 240,000 with my 2002 Impala and, yeah ... it's a 4.5 qt oil change that drops out 3.5 qts if I let the oil change go longer than 3250 miles or so. And it used to get over 500 miles to a tank of gas, but it currently gets 475 ... although I haven't done much to it in the last several years. The same set of plugs are in there from 110,000 miles, for example. It's just my #2 vehicle and "commuter" ... what a Bolt would replace, so I only fix what's 'broken'.

2. Has there ever been an example of Li-ion degradation not being linear? There can be individual cell failures and replacing that cell or the module it is part of is how they are currently repaired. Keep in mind this is still <15 yr old tech. It will get better.
Still very early, and not a large sample size. I just look at the way my iPhone battery has degraded over 4 years' time and wonder if it's a microcosm of what these EV batteries will become. And yeah - the technology will probably get better, but as many of us have seen in our lifetimes now ... we're also not manufacturing things to last anymore!

I point out to skeptics such as yourself that 'When' do you replace the battery pack is the question.
238 mi range new - 200 mi @ 120k - 170mi @ 220k , etc.. (all guesses, although there are really high mile Bolts out there. How are they doing?)

My Spark EV was rated 82 mi when new. Will I replace the pack when it is down to 45 mi range? I don't think so. It would still be fine for my commuting needs.
Yeah, I get what you're saying. I mean ... I still use my 4-year-old iPhone 6s. It "works". But you just get to the point where you can't deal with not only having to charge it more frequently, but also the speed at which the battery discharges once you take it off the charger and actually start using it.

3. COO is the Big Plus for EV's!!
Think of all the time you spent diverting to and from a gas station, standing out in the cold and rain, and the $.
Think of all the time you spent driving to and from and auto parts store to get oil change supplies, doing the deed and then returning the old oil.
(Or driving to and from the Jiffy to have an 18 yr old do the oil change for you,,, for the less manly... ;))
Time and $ on the various filters in the house and all other required maintenance...
I've been doing all the maintenance myself for 30+ years now. To me, it's been no big deal (and actually been quite interesting, learning along the way). But I don't know how many more years I'll be able to do it. For me, the EV is arriving at just about the right time.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts