·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 Chevy Bolt EV review:
No longer unique, still something special

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/reviews/2019-chevrolet-bolt-ev-review/

This article starts out :

Chevrolet's far-roaming Bolt EV hit the ground running when it debuted in 2016 with a class-leading 238 miles of EPA estimated range. In a world where its biggest competitors included the 150-mile Nissan Leaf and Hyundai Ioniq on one side and the much more expensive Tesla Model S on the other, the Bolt shone brightly and uniquely in the sweet spot of high-tech and low-priced.

Two years later, the Bolt still shines, only now, it faces stiff competition from all directions as the rest of the electric car industry catches up. Kia, Hyundai and, of course, Tesla have all either debuted or announced affordable 200-mile electric cars with more on the radar. How does the Chevy stack up in the face of this new opposition? Let's revisit the 2019 Chevrolet Bolt EV to find out.

{...} more at the link

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Now that the Volt is being discontinued without a direct heir to the GM's EREV throne, I kind of want to understand what is it that GM is actually doing with their EV program (what was the slogan a couple of years ago - 20 EV's by 2020 or 25 by 2025? or was it by another ICE behemoth?).

Meantime in 18 months kEVin will be coming off lease and going back to the dealer, which means if there is no new GM EV by early 2020, it will be a non-GM EV or, more likely, a PHEV for this poster.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Now that the Volt is being discontinued without a direct heir to the GM's EREV throne, I kind of want to understand what is it that GM is actually doing with their EV program (what was the slogan a couple of years ago - 20 EV's by 2020 or 25 by 2025? or was it by another ICE behemoth?).

Meantime in 18 months kEVin will be coming off lease and going back to the dealer, which means if there is no new GM EV by early 2020, it will be a non-GM EV or, more likely, a PHEV for this poster.
Well, that announcement was closer to one year ago than two... I believe it will be 18 months officially by the end of January or February.

Regardless, we know they have other EV platforms ready and tested, but unfortunately, those (like the Enspire) seem destined only for China.

They probably do have several EVs in testing right now, and they also likely have a major refresh for the Bolt EV coming as well. The one major reason I could see for them not announcing either at this point is that they don't want to do anything that would negatively affect their current plug-in sales (Osborne Effect).

The bigger concern for me is that we have't seen a significant increase in battery production. Some have claimed that LG, even when the Bolt EV was first released, stated that they had the capacity at that point to support 50,000 Bolt EVs per year (i.e., GM just had to ask). Since then, LG has more than doubled their over all production capacity. So maybe that's not an issue? Maybe all GM has to do is build an EV, and LG will be able to instantly support 30,000 to 50,000 additional EVs per year beyond the number of Bolt EVs GM is already producing.

Still, I'd like to hear that the Holland, MI production capacity has doubled, tripled, or quadrupled from its current 3 to 4 GWh per year, which is only enough for 50k to 70k Bolt EV's per year (though its production is being shared with other automakers).

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GM's Future: 20 All-Electric Vehicles by 2023
http://fortune.com/2017/10/02/gm-20-all-electric-vehicles-2023/
(By KIRSTEN KOROSEC October 2, 2017)

GM plans to launch 20 new all-electric vehicles by 2023—two of which will be introduced in the next 18 months, the automaker announced on Monday at a press conference in Detroit.

The first two electric vehicles will be based off “learnings” from the Chevrolet Bolt EV. First released in California and Oregon in December of 2016, the electric car became available in all 50 states this August.

The Chevy Bolt EV starts at $35,000 before federal tax credit and gets 238 miles on a single charge. The base model of rival Tesla’s mass-market car, the Model 3, gets 220 miles to a single charge.

“General Motors believes in an all-electric future,” Mark Reuss, GM executive vice president of product development, purchasing and supply chain, said in a statement. “Although that future won’t happen overnight, GM is committed to driving increased usage and acceptance of electric vehicles through no-compromise solutions that meet our customers’ needs.”

There are some nuances in GM’s announcement that are worth highlighting. Unlike other automakers such as Daimler, Volkswagen, and Volvo, GM is not committing to a broad electrification of its entire portfolio. That said, GM’s 20 new electric vehicles really will be “all electric,” as opposed to “electrified.” (It’s an important distinction, as “electrified” can mean a gas-electric hybrid or plug-in hybrid.)

GM also upped its commitment to hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicles on Monday. The company says it’s two-pronged approach to electrification includes SURUS, an acronym for Silent Utility Rover Universal Superstructure. This vehicle type would be powered by a fuel cell and have a heavy-duty truck frame driven by two electric motors. It could be used as a delivery vehicle, truck, or even an ambulance, GM said.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Related, as it discusses GM's plans, but is really an article about all the big players and their plans :

Dated Oct, 2018

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/10/29/worlds-10-biggest-automakers-their-ev-plans/

{...}
#4 . (4th largest) GM (7.8 million sales)

GM (market cap $46 billion) will be the second company to sell 200,000 electric vehicles in the US, which triggers the phaseout of the US federal tax credit for EVs. That said, its Chevy Bolt EV and Chevy Volt PHEV have seen sales tank this year. It appears that GM is going to walk across the 200,000-vehicle finish line for the silver medal.

GM has a plan to be producing 10 electric vehicle models by 2020 … in China. Furthermore, it intends to launch another 10 models between 2021 and 2023 … in China.

Presumably, some of those electric car models will also be available in the US and Europe, but we don’t have many clues on that.

One special note about these plans is that all 20 models are supposed to be fully electric vehicles, not “electrified” hybrids. Another special note is that some of them will be fuel cell electric vehicles, which I consider to be a waste of time and money, but that’s the plan for now. In any case, the story is clear: 20 electric models are on the way for China, and maybe elsewhere.

GM CEO Mary Barra last year announced as well that they aim to have battery cell costs down to $100/kWh by 2021. Tesla is reportedly at that figure this year.

We don’t have information about any large GM investments in battery technology, just a $28 million investment into battery development and testing near Detroit, so it’s unclear if GM is investing much into batteries to bring costs down or if it is just counting on suppliers like LG Chem to get the job done.

Related, but probably overlooked by most, Barra indicated the company intends to be producing profitable electric cars by 2021. This seems to again trail Tesla, which just made a quarterly profit and is expected to do so indefinitely going forward.

What does all of this mean? How many electric cars does GM intend to be producing by 2020 or 2023? Well, it seems highly unlikely the target is high. Perhaps 1 million a year by 2023? Perhaps?

{...} (more in article)

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
GM's Future: 20 All-Electric Vehicles by 2023
http://fortune.com/2017/10/02/gm-20-all-electric-vehicles-2023/
(By KIRSTEN KOROSEC October 2, 2017)

GM plans to launch 20 new all-electric vehicles by 2023—two of which will be introduced in the next 18 months, the automaker announced on Monday at a press conference in Detroit.

The first two electric vehicles will be based off “learnings” from the Chevrolet Bolt EV. First released in California and Oregon in December of 2016, the electric car became available in all 50 states this August.

The Chevy Bolt EV starts at $35,000 before federal tax credit and gets 238 miles on a single charge. The base model of rival Tesla’s mass-market car, the Model 3, gets 220 miles to a single charge.

“General Motors believes in an all-electric future,” Mark Reuss, GM executive vice president of product development, purchasing and supply chain, said in a statement. “Although that future won’t happen overnight, GM is committed to driving increased usage and acceptance of electric vehicles through no-compromise solutions that meet our customers’ needs.”

There are some nuances in GM’s announcement that are worth highlighting. Unlike other automakers such as Daimler, Volkswagen, and Volvo, GM is not committing to a broad electrification of its entire portfolio. That said, GM’s 20 new electric vehicles really will be “all electric,” as opposed to “electrified.” (It’s an important distinction, as “electrified” can mean a gas-electric hybrid or plug-in hybrid.)

GM also upped its commitment to hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicles on Monday. The company says it’s two-pronged approach to electrification includes SURUS, an acronym for Silent Utility Rover Universal Superstructure. This vehicle type would be powered by a fuel cell and have a heavy-duty truck frame driven by two electric motors. It could be used as a delivery vehicle, truck, or even an ambulance, GM said.
I can't wait to see what they have in store for this April. I've not seen any spy shots yet. They're doing a great job of keeping a secret. We know they won't be trucks and they've abandoned sedans so that really just leaves CUV's and their derivatives. Not a lot of variety if you ask me.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
I can't wait to see what they have in store for this April. I've not seen any spy shots yet. They're doing a great job of keeping a secret. We know they won't be trucks and they've abandoned sedans so that really just leaves CUV's and their derivatives. Not a lot of variety if you ask me.
700 hp electric camaro?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts