Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
Does anyone have experience with AAA battery service for their Chevy Bolt.
Rather than paying a monthly or yearly fee for a service I probably couldn't contact in many of the mountainous areas of the province, I made a one-time payment on a spare tire and a Li-Ion battery booster pack. Time will tell if my investment pays off...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I’m going to keep a battery pack in each car (our other is a Pacifica Hybrid that died with almost the exact same symptoms of lost of warning lights, no shift into drive, etc).
I guess there’s no easy way to make a sensor that measures voltage and provides an advance warning, or at least a “it’s the battery, stupid” message rather than transmission-relayed errors that imply a far worse situation than a dead 12V.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I guess there’s no easy way to make a sensor that measures voltage and provides an advance warning
Voltage isn't an indicator of a batteries ability to carry a load. What you probably want to look for is voltage drop under load but you'll also need to know what the "usual" value is and probably have to compare the measured value to the historical trend. Not easy.

I did find OE sensors from Bosch and Hella that are meant to be integrated into a car's system. The only add-on device I found (without much looking) is one that measures engine starter cranking load so that obviously won't work. It's usually not a problem because an ICE will start to crank slower and have other signs of a failing battery.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts