Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
The Bolt EV uses standard DexCool, it is the same coolant used in every other GM vehicle for the last couple of decades.

The isolation barrier in a BEV is not enforced by coolant conductivity in any vehicle I am familiar with, it is if it was a Fuel Cell Vehicle, but that is not relevant to this thread...
I am going by what was said by drdeisal, who is a GM tech on this forum.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I am going by what was said by drdeisal, who is a GM tech on this forum.

If you read the context of his response it was directed at someone that said "standard glycol stuff" he was cautioning to add just what is recommended in the manual, DexCool, which for GM has been standard stuff since the 1990s. BEV isolation faults are caused if you have a coolant leak into the battery cavity, or other isolation issues, but not because of the coolant conductivity. I think he was confusing the BEV coolant loop with that of the GM Fuel Cell Equinox, where the coolant conductivity matters, as it is in contact with conductive surfaces of the Fuel Cell.

regardless, it is nothing unique to the Bolt EV, it is standard DexCool, not that DexCool is not special, DexCool is a great formulation of coolant that allows significantly extended drain intervals and lower maintenance costs for all GM vehicles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Update!
Was told that the inverter was the issue per GM engineering. Friday towards the end of the day the part arrived. I was told they would install on Monday because there was not enough time.
Monday rolls around and they are having issues getting it to program, consulting GM. Tuesday the part is programmed and it was driving about 15 miles.
I requested that they try charging the car on a DCFC. Watching the map they took it to a Tesla supercharger about 30 miles away. They then try again to find one on Wednesday. Unable to find one they L2 it to 100% and assured me GM says it will work. They are ready for it to be picked up.
Drove it home with heat and AC switching back and forth to drain the battery faster. Ran fine on highway side DCFC. So far everything seems to be working perfect. I have a feeling they also changed the AC again as it is quieter and pulls less power(just as cold).

After 45 days in service over the 52 I’ve owned it, I think it is finally over. Now it’s time to really enjoy the car!

·
Registered
303 Posts
WOW. what a shitshow you were forced to deal with. I hope its over and there will be no encore.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts