Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I'm hoping someone here can help me. I’ve owned a 2020 Bolt EV for about two weeks now, and until yesterday, was charging via the L1 charger that came with the car while I waited for a 240v outlet to be installed in my garage for an L2 charger.

Over the weekend that outlet was finally installed, so yesterday I started using the L2 charger (this Electrify America unit, which I plugged into the outlet and mounted on the wall). I plugged the car into the charger and all seemed normal, at least until my Bolt reached full charge, when I began hearing a loud fan noise from under the hood and considerable heat emanating from that area. So I unplugged the charger and all was well again.

Today, I plugged in and once again everything was normal until the car charged fully, and then the underhood noise and heat show started started up until I unplugged the car from the charger.

This doesn’t seem normal, and I would add that this didn’t happen with the L1 charger.

Am I missing something here? I’m new to this stuff, but I would think once the battery was full the charging would stop, but it’s as if the charging continues and the excess power is being dissipated by the fan.

Not sure if this is a car issue, a charger issue, or some combination of the two, but would appreciate any insights someone might have.

Many thanks.

Joe

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
This doesn’t seem normal, and I would add that this didn’t happen with the L1 charger.
Mine does it with the Bolt's OEM charge cord plugged in to 240V. Best I can guess is the car likes the battery at a particular temperature to do some cell balancing at the end of the charge. Completely normal.

·
Registered
343 Posts
While I’m not 100% sure, at the end or near the top of the charge, the fan may come on to cool the pack because heat AND 100% charge cause quicker cell capacity degradation and the car is trying to cool down quicker.

So by unplugging it, you are hurting your car! Leave it alone! Stop thinking about it and let it do its job.

Also, don’t charge to 100% if you don’t need it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I live somewhere that is usually hot, and during our 'winter' months the fan comes on almost every time after charging.
It's completely normal if you are parking your vehicle somewhere relatively warm.

The fan sound gives me comfort because it means that the intelligent ACTIVE COOLING battery health control systems are doing their job, as opposed to the complete silence of a passively cooled Leaf.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My new 2020 Bolt did the same thing for the 1st time tonight and I unplugged it as well a few minutes after the revving sound slowed down. I set the charging to complete at 95%. This was about 15 minutes ago. Not sure if I should plug it back in.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Honestly, outside of an electrical storm or being out of town for a month or something, there is little reason to unplug your car. There are numerous threads about it, although the best combination of keywords to find them might be tricky, so NO Judgement from me.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Both my 2017 Volt and 2019 Bolt did that: fan comes on after charging is completed. I think some heat is desired during charging but once charging is complete, these cars like to cool down the pack.

Mike

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yep, it's normal and is the System cooling down the battery and such after getting hot from charging up the battery. It is better to let it finish it's thing and cool it down for you while plugged in. Keeps the battery healthier long term I assume.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Totally normal. All of my Volts did this and the Bolt also if I top off. Btw, you're not charging to 100% every time, are you? If you don't need the range, that will degrade your battery over time. Differing opinions out there, but most say about 75% is as high as you should charge routinely, unless the extra range is needed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Totally normal. All of my Volts did this and the Bolt also if I top off. Btw, you're not charging to 100% every time, are you? If you don't need the range, that will degrade your battery over time. Differing opinions out there, but most say about 75% is as high as you should charge routinely, unless the extra range is needed.
I actually have my charge target set to 90% (gotta leave room for regen, right?).

That said, I don't use more than 25% of my capacity on a typical day, so I will probably take that advice and dial it down to 75%.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah, I did the same when I first got it, but have backed down to 75% My biggest worry is that I will get a call that my elderly Mom is having a problem and I have to leave work emergently to go see her. She lives about 250 miles away and not possible on one charge. Otherwise I would be able to just charge to about 60% which would the optimal level for battery longevity. If I did that, though,I would add over an hour to the trip for recharging.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts