Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reports on social media suggest the new model year still doesn't push beyond 55kW but the taper may extend past the first taper at 50-55%.
Confirming 55kW max + better profile-

Thread including photo from another tester of charge station, 2020 Bolt at 50% predicting time to 80% -

I compared with a similar session I did on Electrify America (16-80%) to see what kind of difference it would make in terms of time and energy delivered: https://www.torquenews.com/7893/fast-charging-2020-chevy-bolt-ev-still-tops-out-55kw

I also noted that Chevy press has updated the old "90 miles in 30 minutes" to "100 miles in 30 minutes" -- although this only really reflects more capable charge stations, as I can get this in my 2017 in optimal conditions. And defining charge speeds by miles is obviously a moving target, although I suppose it helps explain to the average punter.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Well that's disappointing. I wasn't expecting 100kW, but I was hoping for closer to 75. Something along the lines of what the Kona can do. At least a better taper will make a difference. I'm curious to see what it is.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At least a better taper will make a difference. I'm curious to see what it is.
Same here. Definitely needs some real-world testing from folks familiar with the current Bolt EV to compare the specifics. Eric from the News Coulomb channel mentioned he's getting a 2020 model for review soon, so if the reporters don't go in-depth, at least we know he will.

It's also not impossible that they'll change the speed on actual delivery models, but it seems odd that they wouldn't show testers any improvement when they're obviously going to write about the topic.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I'm not at all surprised. The internal cables and fast-charge circuitry in the Bolt are likely rated at 150A, so it can't go a lot higher without replacing a lot more of the Bolt's internals, all they can really do is update the BMS software.

I suspect they upgraded the battery chemistry for 2020 because LG chem was making an offer they couldn't refused. When the Bolt sees a major refresh, then they're do more than update the BMS programming.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I'm wondering if GM will pass along the new charging profile to earlier Bolts.
Don't count on GM providing anything via firmware upgrade to the older models. They already aren't making any money via the repair channel on these things, so why would they encourage drivers to keep their older models even longer?

·
Registered
488 Posts
She made comment about lower internal resistance in the new battery pack...
That is the reason she gave for it being able to go to a higher SOC before tapering the charge rate. I wish she had been less focused on efficiency (fogged up side window, everyone passing her), so she would have an excuse to use a DCFC so she could have mapped out the taper points for us.

I hope Eric gets a shot at testing one of these... we will have data immediately.

Keith

·
Registered
328 Posts

I personally welcome the "Up to 150 percent more miles... at cold temperatures" part. I've seen my Bolt getting 16kW charging speed at 49% SoC (displayed) when it was below freezing, so the slow charging issue is definitely a pain and I'm glad GM is addressing it with the new battery.

·
Registered
388 Posts
As good as a spot as any - What do You all think about the 2020 Bolt?
My opinion of my 2017 Bolt LT = grade of C for an EV and grade of A for a car (comparing it to a very crappy almost 300K miles almost 20 year old Olds Alero GX).
My opinion of the 2020 = grade of C for an EV in late 2019. Areas I think the car is still deficient;
LOOKS / FEELS
  • Exterior still looks CHEAP compared to a 25K MSRP Honda CRV. (look at the Honda's exterior lower plastic molding as an example to see what I mean compared to Bolt).
  • Interior still LOOKS AND FEELS CHEAP compared to a 25K MSRP Honda CRV. (Dash, carpet, seats etc.). Nice looking blue paint though for 2020...
PERFORMANCE
  • -Range barely improved in almost 5 years. Was hoping for above 300+ miles by now.
  • -Charging rate still very slow. Was hoping for an 800V system and capable of programmable DCFC rates (50kw-150kw) as well as a programmable end point (programmable hill top reserve is the one thing they did do for us).
  • -Hoped for a heat pump to increase hvac efficiency.
  • -As far as I know DCFC is not standard like most think it should be.
  • -Still no Camping mode/ Dog mode/ Sentry mode/ entertainment mode (Youtube / Netflix) ala Tesla (lets face it GM is way behind in the software area). This is coming from someone whos relatives worked a combined 200+ years for GM. I have never owned a Tesla just sat in one for 5 minutes in my life.
Hopes for the future 2021 Bolt refresh - they fix all of the above and significantly improve the product. Fears for future 2021 Bolt refresh. They change the front and rear fascias (minor cosmetic tweak that is almost un noticed except for those that already own one). They make very minor changes to the interior (bigger 12 inch screen) slightly better seats. They leave everything else un-touched. If they continue to move real slow the sales will be flat with MASSIVE cash / financing incentives needed from GM. A final thought; I read online Mary Barra drives a Suburban. She should be forced to drive both a Tesla and a Bolt every single day to see the Bolt's deficiencies. I bet the range and charging speeds would be fixed sooner rather than later!

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Of course, the rating is subjective. I have limited experience with EVs, and none with Tesla, but the Bolt was above average in my estimation of an EV, especially at the price point. It has among the longest range, which is quite adequate and needing no improvement. DCFC rate could be faster, but what percent of people even depend on it, and of those, how frequently is it used? I intend to never use DCFC. For that reason, keeping it as an option makes sense.

From an acceleration standpoint, it's above average too for both an EV and vehicles in general.

I expect a Tesla test drive will be in my future at some point, so that might color my opinions differently.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts