Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting my own thread on this so as not to muddy with Jason's original post & some of the other conversations added in there.

A lot of progress this past weekend as I received my Giraffe and Pedal from @jshuler. Here are a couple of pics.

EON Gold (the cell phone mounted on a go pro VHB - I aligned it with the stock LKA camera).
Also pictured just above the rear view mirror is the giraffe which is a custom board @jshuler developed that connects the Panda (OBDII interface) & sits between the car wiring harness for the LKA camera and the LKA camera - it also has an RJ45 connector where you see the cable running off to the right (I will get a thinner cable and tuck it away) - that goes down and plugs in to the Pedal interceptor.

Pedal Interceptor (allows the EON to control the acceleration pedal for ACC):

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yay, ACC for Bolts! There had been minimal, if any, changes regarding pedal control, so I suppose this will work on 2017-2019 Bolts with the same hardware.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yay, ACC for Bolts! There had been minimal, if any, changes regarding pedal control, so I suppose this will work on 2017-2019 Bolts with the same hardware.
Yes - the only difference between model years is in 2018, GM added a Cyber-security gateway on the OBDII port - so with a 2017 Bolt - if you only wanted lane centering, you may not actually need Jason's giraffe - maybe just a Grey Panda & an EON.

For all MY Bolts, the camera connector sits behind the cyber-security gateway and will work.

Re: the pedal interceptor - this device is just sending electronic gas pedal information to the car sitting between the pedal itself and the car connection - the EON sends instruction to provide ACC via the ethernet cable to the pedal interceptor from the giraffe. In its present form, it doesn't work smoothly below 40 MPH but it works great at freeway speeds. And this is all open source - so it gets better all the time and you can contribute if you have any code skills (I sadly do not).

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Picked up a 10 ft flat CAT6 ethernet cable for the run from the giraffe to the comma Pedal - much easier to tuck this out of the way than I thought it'd be - the length is perfect. Everything fits under the dust pan.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also drove about 50 miles after the cable cleanup. Tested in D vs L. Still does a good job with ACC and much smoother below 40 MPH.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for posting your experiences. I’m quite interested in doing this but haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'm ready to get this but one question I still have not gotten answered is: what is the boot-up process? After it is installed, can you just start the car and drive off and OpenPilot is ready? I don't want to have to go through manual boot processes and fiddling with the Comma 2 just to get it to work. I want it to just be ready each drive. I DM'd Jason on Discord saying I was ready to purchase but wondered if I should wait until it is out of "alpha" and maybe at least in beta. Never got a reply which turned me off a bit. Figured I'd wait until others had some experience with it.

Mike

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for posting your experiences. I’m quite interested in doing this but haven’t pulled the trigger yet.
There have been some good deals in #For-Sale on discord for EONs & grey panda (as low as $300; I paid $550) so keep an eye there for a deal.

These should be supported until at least 1.0 and no one has reported success with a Comma2 and Bolt yet though Jason is actively working on it.

Comma's mantra is "make driving chill" - they have succeeded imho.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm ready to get this but one question I still have not gotten answered is: what is the boot-up process? After it is installed, can you just start the car and drive off and OpenPilot is ready? I don't want to have to go through manual boot processes and fiddling with the Comma 2 just to get it to work. I want it to just be ready each drive. I DM'd Jason on Discord saying I was ready to purchase but wondered if I should wait until it is out of "alpha" and maybe at least in beta. Never got a reply which turned me off a bit. Figured I'd wait until others had some experience with it.

Mike
The boot up process for Jason's current fork is that the eon needs to be powered on before you start the car. If you turn it off after each drive this only takes about a minute. You can leave it on all the time, it has constant power from the 12V through the camera connector and I haven't heard anyone complain about it draining the battery. With the EON, it is recommended that you remove it from the windshield when not in use because it has a cell phone battery which can get hot and swell if left in the Sun but it is easy to slide out of the go pro mount and put in the glove Box or center console or if it's in my garage I just leave it up (note, I live in MN - I would practice differently if I lived in AZ).

With the Comma 2, there is no battery and better cooling so you can leave it up all the time.

Jason is a busy guy and gets distracted with life like we all do but he has really made this possible. If he doesn't respond, follow up and he will get back to you.

Also feel free to DM me here or on discord (msx9952001 is my username there) - I'll be happy to help when I can.

I wouldn't worry about it being called alpha right now that is really just for legal and liability reasons. The product works...many people claim better then Tesla's autopilot. In fact some people with Tesla's are actually running this instead.

It is not FSD, it is L2. Auto steer/ lane centering and ACC. It works really well at highway/freeway speeds.

There are some quirks (like jerky turning if the turn is too sharp, an alarm if you dont turn off CC and touch the break or regen paddle) but you quickly learn what these are and adapt (help steering slightly on a sharp turn, use the cc off button to disengage). Some of this was more natural/seamless before the Pedal code but there are reasons Jason has it the way it is right now and I agree with them.

This is also software, open software. If you can code or know someone who does, you can make your own changes, use your own fork.

Jason's eventual goal is to get all of the customizations for the Bolt upstreamed to the Comma.ai code.

For me, this has been a great Covid distraction and I'm loving the Ride!

·
Registered
549 Posts
The boot up process for Jason's current fork is that the eon needs to be powered on before you start the car. If you turn it off after each drive this only takes about a minute. You can leave it on all the time, it has constant power from the 12V through the camera connector and I haven't heard anyone complain about it draining the battery. With the EON, it is recommended that you remove it from the windshield when not in use because it has a cell phone battery which can get hot and swell if left in the Sun but it is easy to slide out of the go pro mount and put in the glove Box or center console or if it's in my garage I just leave it up (note, I live in MN - I would practice differently if I lived in AZ).
Thanks for the answer! This is a deal breaker for me. I want to be able to use the car as normal and just have OpenPilot ready if I need it. Ideally, the device should be on a switched accessory so when you start the car, it boots up on its own and after a minute (while driving) it'll be available. A minute might not sound like a lot but when you are in your car, you already have a place you need to be. Sitting there waiting for the device to boot up for a minute before you start the car would make it not worth the trouble for me. I'd really like it to be "at the ready" without interfering because I don't know in any given drive whether I'll even want to use it. In town, I'd prefer to drive but depending on traffic, I may take a country road home and those long stretches at higher speeds would be ideal for OpenPilot so I just want to be able to use it when needed without making the decision before I start driving (and waiting a minute or so before I can start the car).

Hopefully something like this will be implemented as the software progresses, at which point I'll definitely buy it!

Edit: I wouldn't mind that much if you had to switch on/off the Comma 2 so I would accept that as long as you could switch it on/off and just drive away while it's booting or turn it on/off while already driving.

Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the answer! This is a deal breaker for me. I want to be able to use the car as normal and just have OpenPilot ready if I need it. Ideally, the device should be on a switched accessory so when you start the car, it boots up on its own and after a minute (while driving) it'll be available. A minute might not sound like a lot but when you are in your car, you already have a place you need to be. Sitting there waiting for the device to boot up for a minute before you start the car would make it not worth the trouble for me. I'd really like it to be "at the ready" without interfering because I don't know in any given drive whether I'll even want to use it. In town, I'd prefer to drive but depending on traffic, I may take a country road home and those long stretches at higher speeds would be ideal for OpenPilot so I just want to be able to use it when needed without making the decision before I start driving (and waiting a minute or so before I can start the car).

Hopefully something like this will be implemented as the software progresses, at which point I'll definitely buy it!

Edit: I wouldn't mind that much if you had to switch on/off the Comma 2 so I would accept that as long as you could switch it on/off and just drive away while it's booting or turn it on/off while already driving.

Mike

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Both, it uses brake commands which on the Bolt, start with regen for light braking and then engage hydraulic braking as more braking is required.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Does the bolt use the actual brake to slow or is it just using Regen?
I know max already answered this, but it makes sense that Bolt can control both the regen and physical brakes on its own. Otherwise, emergency pedestrian braking feature wouldn't work - regen is not powerful or quick enough for that.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Mike
I did power it up after starting the car yesterday and still worked fine.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts