Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
12/16 build, 2017, white LT
11,139 Posts
My 2020 Bolt in cold weather shows a maximum mileage after full charge ~ 200 miles considerably down from the usual ~ 250 miles during the summer. I keep the heat off and use the seat and wheel heaters to stay relatively comfortable. My usual use was to drive 150+ round trip per day. I have been tempted to buy the outboard equipment to look closer, but then think, I will take it to the dealer at my next wheel rotation for a check and to determine their skill level in dealing with any Bolt issues.
A 20% drop in range is spot on, if it is in the teens where you are. Get used to it, and make sure your tires are at 38 psi minimum after sitting overnight.

·
Registered
455 Posts
My 2020 Bolt in cold weather shows a maximum mileage after full charge ~ 200 miles considerably down from the usual ~ 250 miles during the summer. I keep the heat off and use the seat and wheel heaters to stay relatively comfortable. My usual use was to drive 150+ round trip per day. I have been tempted to buy the outboard equipment to look closer, but then think, I will take it to the dealer at my next wheel rotation for a check and to determine their skill level in dealing with any Bolt issues.
I don’t know where you are geographically, but by my experience, 200 miles is great! I’m in southern WI, mostly town driving, heat at 68, and charging to 90% with the GOM showing around 170.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes, I was fully aware of the temp issues with Lithium batteries, just hadn't expected the amount of range decline. I haven't driven subzero yet, so I imagine that will be greater. When I posted my mileage, I am actually nearer13,000 miles. I mistated. I need at least 150, but temp and highway speeds generally around 70 MPH have a significant impact. I have an ICE so not out of luck.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
is this your first winter with the Bolt?
Yes, and provide your location. There's winter and then there's WINTER. We're in winter here too but I don't think that's what you're referring to. Cold here is 32. It's 60 out there right now. Even in California there's a big difference between winter in Mammoth Lakes and winter in Bakersfield. ;)

Paul

·
Registered
39 Posts
Paul, last week temps were not above 32. I live in NE WI. So I have left the bolt in the garage. I am also avoiding salt, so once the roads are dry again, will revert back.. I don't have to do the 150 mile round trippers any more, so I will use when road conditions are clear.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am curious what others think. That's why I put it out there. We could use more data.

I also wonder if the Kona and Bolt batteries are the same.

Paul
You can not use all of the available battery capacity which is limited purely with the design intent of longevity, when capacity drops below a certain threshold, irreversible damage to the cells occurs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Paul, let me add, I charge to 100% as i don't need regenerative braking so much until I am nearly 25+ miles away, which usually happens. I don't run the heat or AC much so that helps my distance. Your readings and use are in line with my experience. l also improve distance when I am not doing long stretches over 75+ MPH and not much passing. I do get onto the pedal a bit. Love the acceleration for a relatively well priced vehicle.

·
Registered
11,139 Posts
@paulgipe,

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
@paulgipe,

Warren,

I am not sure why you posted that here? Or did you do that by mistake and pinged me. I looked at the other thread and I don't think I have anything to add over there.

What does @paulgipe mean in the upper corner? Is that how you ping me on this forum?

My numbers are pretty much the same. I am getting 63-64 kWh. I am trying to enlist two other drivers to log their data but nerdish data collection is apparently not everyone's cup of tea. ;)

Paul

·
Registered
11,139 Posts
I am not sure why you posted that here?

What does @paulgipe mean in the upper corner? Is that how you ping me on this forum?

My numbers are pretty much the same. I am getting 63-64 kWh.
Just thought you might be interested in my speculations about the disparity between VW's EPA usable capacity vs the Bolt's.

Yup. If you put @ in front of somebody's handle, they get pinged.

Which falls right in line with my speculation in that linked post that VW is being more open about their full vs usable capacity than GM is.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Just thought you might be interested in my speculations about the disparity between VW's EPA usable capacity vs the Bolt's.

Yup. If you put @ in front of somebody's handle, they get pinged.

Which falls right in line with my speculation in that linked post that VW is being more open about their full vs usable capacity than GM is.
My sense is it's still a bit early to judge VW statements on battery capacity. As I've noted here GM's position on the 2017-2019 battery was right for me ~little over 61 kWh. However, their statements on the 2020 don't match what I am seeing--not by much but still below what was advertised. I am trying to line up others to track their data but it's like pulling teeth. In terms of beefs, my biggest beef is with fellow greenies who won't dump their Priuses--or their trucks. ;) This is a car that works, costs half that of a Tesla, and doesn't burn gas.

Thanks for the tip. I would have missed that discussion and it is interesting your take on VW's efficiency. I wonder what the ID3 would do--if they deigned to sell it to us Yankees.

Paul

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I basically look at it like a 65" tv. It's 65", if you measure diagonally. A sheet of paper isn't sold that way.

·
Registered
11,139 Posts
As I've noted here GM's position on the 2017-2019 battery was right for me ~little over 61 kWh.

my biggest beef is with fellow greenies who won't dump their Priuses-

I wonder what the ID3 would do--if they deigned to sell it to us Yankees.
I wish we could say the same. Saw 180 Ah once years ago, briefly. Now at 163.3 Ah.

Rectangle Font Technology Pattern Electric blue

Yup. Not a single one of our liberal Prius driving friends have even considered buying an EV. They are so enamored of their great gas mileage.

The ID 3 is the only car I have seen so far, that could replace our Bolt.

·
Registered
11,139 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
2,681 Posts
I've had the Bolt (2020 LT) for a couple of months, and I've been waiting for warmer weather (Michigan) to run a battery capacity test. Well, it's been a couple of months, and the weather hasn't really gotten warm (35 to 69 degrees). But I got tired of waiting, so I decided to run a test anyway. Charged to 100% (240V @ 32A), and started tracking SOC Disp, SOC Raw, and kWh used, with a running calculation of estimated capacity. I'm not driving a lot lately, so it took a little over a week to get down to about 15%. I'm at 1462 miles on the odometer.

Here's my data:

Observations:
  1. Using SOC Disp, my calculated capacity of ~64 kWh is consistent with what @paulgipe calculated.

2. Using SOC Raw, my calculated capacity of ~67 kWh is closer to what GM advertises as "useable"

3. SOC Disp started higher than SOC Raw, but ended lower than SOC Raw.

4. SOC Disp is "sticky" - it can stay at the same value for several minutes of driving, while SOC Raw appears to update more frequently

5. Starting at 37.3% SOC Disp, that was the first time the calculated capacity fell below 64 kWh (excluding the early reading at 87.5% SOC Disp). Before that point, looking at the trends, I would have estimated capacity around 65 kWh. Similarly, SOC Raw seemed to be closer to 70 kWh. That drop coincided with a temperature drop with lows in the mid-30's.

6. The apparent drop in calculated capacity below ~40% SOC made me wonder if it was due to colder temperatures, or whether something changes in the BMS below 40% SOC (I thought I read somewhere that the BMS is less aggressive about thermal conditioning below 40% SOC while unplugged).

7. In order to truly determine the full useable capacity, I'd probably have to drive the Bolt until it completely died, and note the kWh used. I'm not willing to do that intentionally.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Hmm. How are you getting any SOC measurements from TorquePro? Mine is blocked and as far as I know they are all blocked. Has someone found a work-around?

Paul
BTW. I am about ready for an update--and it's pretty much the same at about 63 kWh.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
2,681 Posts
Hmm. How are you getting any SOC measurements from TorquePro? Mine is blocked and as far as I know they are all blocked. Has someone found a work-around?

Paul
BTW. I am about ready for an update--and it's pretty much the same at about 63 kWh.
I followed the instructions at Chevy Bolt OBD2 PIDs – All EV Info and the 2 SOC PIDs work for me:
!Battery - Pack - State of Charge Displayed
!Battery - Pack - State of Charge Raw HD

If you're loading (or reloading) the PID file, you may have to clear your existing custom PIDs. Also, you have to recreate your display gauges.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I followed the instructions at Chevy Bolt OBD2 PIDs – All EV Info and the 2 SOC PIDs work for me:
!Battery - Pack - State of Charge Displayed
!Battery - Pack - State of Charge Raw HD

If you're loading (or reloading) the PID file, you may have to clear your existing custom PIDs. Also, you have to recreate your display gauges.
Wow, that is really helpful--I think. TorquePro and those PIDs are at the limit of my technical skills. I'll get to it in the next month or so--will take some time for me to steel my courage to wade in there again. ;)

Paul

·
Registered
455 Posts
I've had the Bolt (2020 LT) for a couple of months, and I've been waiting for warmer weather (Michigan) to run a battery capacity test. Well, it's been a couple of months, and the weather hasn't really gotten warm (35 to 69 degrees). But I got tired of waiting, so I decided to run a test anyway. Charged to 100% (240V @ 32A), and started tracking SOC Disp, SOC Raw, and kWh used, with a running calculation of estimated capacity. I'm not driving a lot lately, so it took a little over a week to get down to about 15%. I'm at 1462 miles on the odometer.

Here's my data:
View attachment 34977

Observations:
  1. Using SOC Disp, my calculated capacity of ~64 kWh is consistent with what @paulgipe calculated.

2. Using SOC Raw, my calculated capacity of ~67 kWh is closer to what GM advertises as "useable"

3. SOC Disp started higher than SOC Raw, but ended lower than SOC Raw.

4. SOC Disp is "sticky" - it can stay at the same value for several minutes of driving, while SOC Raw appears to update more frequently

5. Starting at 37.3% SOC Disp, that was the first time the calculated capacity fell below 64 kWh (excluding the early reading at 87.5% SOC Disp). Before that point, looking at the trends, I would have estimated capacity around 65 kWh. Similarly, SOC Raw seemed to be closer to 70 kWh. That drop coincided with a temperature drop with lows in the mid-30's.

6. The apparent drop in calculated capacity below ~40% SOC made me wonder if it was due to colder temperatures, or whether something changes in the BMS below 40% SOC (I thought I read somewhere that the BMS is less aggressive about thermal conditioning below 40% SOC while unplugged).

7. In order to truly determine the full useable capacity, I'd probably have to drive the Bolt until it completely died, and note the kWh used. I'm not willing to do that intentionally.
Your 2020 is a bit better than mine. I get around 63 kWh with the charge till full then drive to a low SOC method. OBD is worse, with a maximum of 59kWh and 185Ah. First tested at about 7000 mi and unchanged at almost 11000.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
2,681 Posts
Your 2020 is a bit better than mine. I get around 63 kWh with the charge till full then drive to a low SOC method. OBD is worse, with a maximum of 59kWh and 185Ah. First tested at about 7000 mi and unchanged at almost 11000.
Yeah, my OBD PID numbers are lower than what I calculated:

41 - 60 of 67 Posts