I am looking to buy my first Bolt.
As it is already October 19th and the 2020s will arrive soon, the question is whether to buy a 2019 or 2020
Right now I am leaning towards a 2020
1) I don't want a car that has sat in the summer sun for 5+ months -
Forum Discussion - https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/battery-degradation-cars-on-lots.33860/#post-519644
2) One less year of depreciation
3) New LG Chem battery chemistry which delivers 21 miles more range
4) HD camera upgrade
Since GM has NOT adjusted the MSRP to reflect the true suggested selling price, it is a little challenging to know how much a 2020 will actually cost and if one should buy a 2019 or wait.
I've found some information that will help you with that decision...
GM's Supplier Purchase Website - This is the discounted price 'suppliers' pay for a car - https://www.gmsupplierdiscount.com/build-and-price/
Compare loaded 2019 Bolt Premier (MSRP - 43,735) to 2020 Bolt Premier (see images below)
The 2020 currently has $4,500 in discounts
The 2019 has $9,000 of discounts
So worst case, right now, the 2020 is $4,500 more money than a 2019.
Over time the discount should increase SIGNIFICANTLY for a few reasons
1) A street price of $37,882 is not very competitive against the Kia, Hyundai which have $7,500 fed tax credits or a Tesla which would only be $1,400 more
2) in September 2018 people were buying the 2019 BOLT Premier for $39,000 - $7,500 Fed Credit = $31,500 (effective price)
3) In October 2018 people were buying the 2019 Bolt Premier for $37,000 - $7,500 Fed Credit = $29,500 (effective price) - Thats just 30 days after it was released
So with a federal tax credit of $1875, one could calculate the street price of a 2020 Bolt at about $29,500 (effective price) + 1,875 (tax credit) = $31,375
Given that one can get $700 from Costco until January 2, 2020 - one could say a very good price for a 2020 Bolt (probably in December) would be $32,000
Keep in mind the ZEV states tend to get better prices so your state pricing may be higher.
View attachment 27517
View attachment 27516