Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2020 Bolt just turned 1 year old, and has less than 4000 miles. My range has declined steadily over the year. I thought the winter decline seemed drastic (around 150) but it bounced back a bit during spring and summer (around 190). Now we've hit a very calm time of year, but my range is estimating 99 miles on a full charge. This is with all accessories turned off.

Should I be concerned?

Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Font
Plant Product Gadget Line Gps navigation device

·
Registered
190 Posts
My 2020 Bolt just turned 1 year old, and has less than 4000 miles. My range has declined steadily over the year. I thought the winter decline seemed drastic (around 150) but it bounced back a bit during spring and summer (around 190). Now we've hit a very calm time of year, but my range is estimating 99 miles on a full charge. This is with all accessories turned off.

Should I be concerned?

View attachment 37609 View attachment 37610
you have a very bad battery with a faulty cell. sadly GM has no batteries for the foresee available time..

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
you have a very bad battery with a faulty cell. sadly GM has no batteries for the foresee available time..
Oh boy. This would be interesting to see if they replace a module with a bad cell. Makes sense to do so because it will fix the low capacity and the replaced cells are just as likely to have a fire defect as the original ones.

P.S. With the recall you're only supposed to charge to 90% and drop to only 70 miles before charging. So you've got about 20 miles of usable range. 🤣

·
Registered
201 Posts
what's odd is that someone posted a very similar story on the Facebook group today.
Font Screenshot Terrestrial plant Number Circle

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
what's odd is that someone posted a very similar story on the Facebook group today.
View attachment 37611
Quite likely the same issue - owner needs to confirm what mi/kWh they’re achieving though over the past 25 miles or so though. It’s vaguely possible that there’s something extremely inefficient going on

·
Registered
173 Posts

Should I be concerned?
Definitive yes with this range.

Someone in my family with a 2020 had a very similar issue. After being denied by the dealer first, they finally looked into it more seriously and confirmed that a cell was bad. The battery had less than 32 kWh usable (according to the charging station - thus about 50% of its nominal value).

The whole battery was replaced within 48 hours at the time (last May). The car has been behaving flawlessly since.

Unfortunately, now is not a good time to necessitate a battery.

ADDENDUM:
If you can, deplete the battery and charge it back with a station that displays the amount of energy sent to the car. You'll have a better indication of the current battery capacity.

·
Registered
735 Posts
While I agree, that is also concerning...
99 miles on 100% full charge is pretty different from 120 miles on 85%...
If someone is using the heater on full and driving like a bat out of heck, etc...
That's basically around 50% of what the range should be on a full (100%) charge...
Might that be the type of crazy reading the GoM gives out sometimes?

Not sure.

Still feels low to me and worth checking...

But 99 miles at 100% is definitely wrong...

·
Registered
190 Posts
While I agree, that is also concerning...
99 miles on 100% full charge is pretty different from 120 miles on 85%...
If someone is using the heater on full and driving like a bat out of heck, etc...
That's basically around 50% of what the range should be on a full (100%) charge...
Might that be the type of crazy reading the GoM gives out sometimes?

Not sure.

Still feels low to me and worth checking...

But 99 miles at 100% is definitely wrong...
His efficiency is 4-5kw...

·
Registered
735 Posts
His efficiency is 4-5kw...
I didn't read the whole Facebook post...
And like I said, it does feel low.
But we've seen some quirky GoM readings sometimes, and they don't always line up with the displayed efficiency...

I do agree they should have it checked out...

OK, I just checked out the thread and re-read that post...
It looks like that issue is with the Website/App, and not the GoM on the car:
When we ping the car either on the app, or the website, the initial reply has what would be a “normal” predicted range, say 210 miles at 85%. When we refresh, then the car replies with the GOM lower number.
So that Facebook issue appears to be different...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The dealer will be checking my car out this Friday. I'll report back with what they find. Seems to have dropped off drastically in the last month or two.

I'm fairly certain that this is not a result of careless consumption. My energy report is usually very good. This image is from May, when my range anxiety was really starting to set in.

Note that terrain is typically not that low.

Product Motor vehicle Automotive design Gadget Audio equipment

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'm fairly certain that this is not a result of careless consumption.
Yep, I agree that is unlikely.
I was talking about the other one reported on this thread, that appears to be an app/website (backend) issue and not a battery issue...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One more piece of data for Bolt owners to track:

I read this as it thinks my car is 63% charged with 49 remaining miles.

Font Screenshot Technology Audio equipment Darkness

·
Registered
440 Posts
Do you have an ODB-II reader you can use with an app like torque pro? It would be interesting to know what your cell voltages are at. Range is calculated off of the weakest cell group, you likely have an essentially dead cell in your pack.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Do you have an ODB-II reader you can use with an app like torque pro? It would be interesting to know what your cell voltages are at. Range is calculated off of the weakest cell group, you likely have an essentially dead cell in your pack.
Bingo. MyGreenVoltConnect is an iOS app that works with the Bolt and provides a nice visual display of cell voltages, and max/average/min cells. You can look at this in about 10 seconds to confirm if you have an issue with a cell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,814 Posts
If you have an ODB2 reader and an app, you can look at the cell voltages. If there's a cell voltage that's 0.08V different than the average, that was the trigger for a defective battery in the original recall. We don't know if that actually reveals a battery with the fire defect, but if you see something like that, it's definitely worth getting checked out.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
111 Posts
One more piece of data for Bolt owners to track:

I read this as it thinks my car is 63% charged with 49 remaining miles.

View attachment 37616
Where is this info coming from? Is it something actually connected to the car, or an app that monitors your EVSE? Remember that level 2 EVSEs do NOT communicate with the car, so they have no idea what range the car started with, nor how much was added at the last charge. My Juicebox is plugged in right now. It says it's added 21 miles of range, but the car says it's added 20 miles. But the Juicebox app doesn't tell me that actual range the car has, which at the moment is 221 miles.

I don't see a screen like that on the MyChevrolet app on my phone.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts