Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2021Bolt
97 Posts
MyVoltControl will also read batt voltage variations. If you have issues loading mygreenvolt.

It only works on iPhones

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Where is this info coming from? Is it something actually connected to the car, or an app that monitors your EVSE? Remember that level 2 EVSEs do NOT communicate with the car, so they have no idea what range the car started with, nor how much was added at the last charge. My Juicebox is plugged in right now. It says it's added 21 miles of range, but the car says it's added 20 miles. But the Juicebox app doesn't tell me that actual range the car has, which at the moment is 221 miles.

I don't see a screen like that on the MyChevrolet app on my phone.
It's from the myChevrolet app

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
111 Posts
It's from the myChevrolet app
Ya know, I've tapped that place in the app dozens of times and nothing opened. I did it again this afternoon and there it was. Chevrolet has some major issues with that app. I'm amazed that there are zero controls over the HVAC with it.

Sorry, off topic. I appreciate learning something new about the app. :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Keep us updated with your findings... I wonder if these cells with defective voltage readouts are also the same cells that catch fire....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Keep us updated with your findings... I wonder if these cells with defective voltage readouts are also the same cells that catch fire....
Will do - all I can think about is how I was torn between Slate Gray Metallic and Oasis Blue. Went with Oasis Blue but loved both colors. It's like I picked the wrong pill in The Matrix.

·
Registered
440 Posts
There's no ifs ands or buts about it, you have a bad cell. I'm really surprised your vehicle hasn't thrown a code about it, that's WAY outside of the threshold for good performance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Personally, this bothers me a lot. I am putting a lot of faith in the statements and recommendations coming from GM, but if this data is correct and the cell voltage is this far off and there is absolutely no indication in any of the car's built-in detection/safety capabilities that's a major red flag... What battery and thermal management safety measures ARE present and working in the car?

Please do keep us posted on this!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,815 Posts
Personally, this bothers me a lot. I am putting a lot of faith in the statements and recommendations coming from GM, but if this data is correct and the cell voltage is this far off and there is absolutely no indication in any of the car's built-in detection/safety capabilities that's a major red flag... What battery and thermal management safety measures ARE present and working in the car?

Please do keep us posted on this!
That was actually the "final remedy" in the first recall - updated software that would trip warnings presumably based on voltage differences. Prior to the recall, the understanding of having a significant voltage difference among cells was just lost capacity and warranty replacement, not an indication of a defect related to a fire risk. To be honest, it's still not clear that a significant voltage difference is an accurate symptom of a fire risk.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I think GM's new cells are worse garbage than the old cells.
I'm not sure about that, but maybe...
But I do have this rambling thought going thru my head recently...
No, it's not the one where I see myself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a pyramid with a thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at me.... (Why am I the only one who has that dream?)

Anyway, I had this quirky thought (and I don't expect this in ANY way to happen), but...
What if some auto shop said, "Hey, for $1000 (or whatever), we can take apart your pack and scan it (xrays, whatever) for the problem."
Then I would know whether my existing pack is OK or not....
If so, and it passed, would I rather keep my original pack rather then trade it in for a "fixed" higher capacity pack?
I might... This car has been so stable...
OK, back2reality...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Thanks for all the feedback,

I'll see if I can capture any further Torque sensor data in the app for diagnostic purposes. The car goes in tomorrow and I'll keep everyone updated.

Let me know if you want any other data to help future owners.

·
Registered
9,929 Posts
It's unlikely the chemistry but rather the assembly or QA processes.

I have been watching bad cells pop up on this forum for four years now. My Spidey Sense tells me that the 2020-2022 are seeing bad cells sooner than the 2017 to mid 2019.

Whether this is the chemistry, or bad QC, GM has one h3ll of a problem.

·
Registered
9,929 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback,

I'll see if I can capture any further Torque sensor data in the app for diagnostic purposes. The car goes in tomorrow and I'll keep everyone updated.

Let me know if you want any other data to help future owners.
Are you using Telek's PIDs?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I'd like to point out that the myChevrolet app is not indicating any battery problems from the diagnostic checks.

Also, kind of odd that it warns my tire pressure is low by 3 psi but the car instrument panel hasn't complained at all. They should be synced in my opinion, but I guess the car warning has a different threshold.

Font Material property Technology Screenshot Electronic device

21 - 40 of 76 Posts