Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got our first real rain today since I bought my car in early March, and driving to work this morning I nearly hydroplaned off the road twice at less than 35 mph.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I remember rain in AZ - so infrequent, quite a bit of oil on the roads - wondering how much is that vs. the tire traction. Surprisingly, OEM tires do "OK" in snow/slush - I put on some snow tires in the Winter for great traction - but the OEM tires are definitely a compromise product balancing efficiency, traction, road noise, etc...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Not just in the rain either. I'm a firm believer in summer (all season) and winter tires. At least here in MN.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Interesting... I've driven through an atmospheric river at freeway speeds before without much problem. The Bolt EV hydroplanes less than most other cars I've owned (heavy with narrow tires with large water channels).

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Yeah, my OEM tires were fine in the rain... I suspect it is the AZ oil buildup on the road due to the lack of rain that they were having a problem with.

Keith

·
Registered
46 Posts
We got our first real rain today since I bought my car in early March, and driving to work this morning I nearly hydroplaned off the road twice at less than 35 mph.
They're not the best but, not that bad.

If rain just started, it is often related to the junk (oil, rubber debris and whatever else) accumulating on the pavement getting washed. It often becomes very slippery and then, it washes out a bit.

Again, not the best tires for rain but, not catastrophic either.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I don’t get much in terms of hydroplaning either. But, flooring the accelerator on the Bolt on wet surfaces does result in a lot of wheel spin and squealing / squirreling.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am really picky about wet weather tire performance and find the OEM Michelins to be pretty darn good in that regard, as long as you're not asking them to put power down like it's dry. Then again they can't put power down in the dry either, so 🤷‍♂️:LOL:

·
Registered
466 Posts
I acknowledge the OEM tires are as loose as socks on a waxed floor, but in Michigan, it’s hasn’t rained but thrice in two and a half months and I drive so little due to COVID, I may Be putting on my winter tires without coming close to the recommended rotate mileage for the OEMs for the following spring.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Have driven I-5 in torrential downpour with OEM tires at 65 and no problems. I actually have zero problems with the tires. Don't know where all these "problems" people have come from except expecting too much from a car because it handles decently and has a very nice 0-60. Listen folks, this is not a sports car, was never marketed as a sports cars and shouldn't be driven as a sports car except with tire and suspension mods. Learn this and be happy with the tires and car.

Not to say OP was hot footing it at 35 mph. Clearly there was an issue here, maybe lowering the tire pressure will help.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Road surface also affects traction. That’s ok if you are happy. I just want something a little gripper.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
lol.. wait till you try them in snow :eek:

·
Registered
2020 Bolt
45 Posts
Oregonian here, I KNOW about rain. Once the oils are washed off the roads (and in four dry months there will be oil there) these are decent in the rain Not super rain tires, but they would be bad for range all the time.. Heavy rain kills the range, but that's not a tire dependent thing.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
My first winter was on the OEMs. Awful. Now, I run snow tires.
Yes, same here... the winter tires go on at the beginning of Dec and stay on till April 1st.
The OEM tires are not just awful in snow, they're actually dangerous because of their piss-poor stopping distance and lack of directional control.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oil on the road (which I think is way overrated) doesn't make you hydroplane. Water makes you hydroplane.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Oil on the road (which I think is way overrated) doesn't make you hydroplane. Water makes you hydroplane.
It's primarily the depth of the water and the speed you're driving. Even at 35 mph, most cars will hydroplane in 1" to 2" of water, regardless of tires. Most people, though, refer to hydroplaning when there's a more reasonable or expected amount of water on the road, such as a 1/4" to 1/2". If you're hydroplaning in that at 35 mph, there's an issue. I've driven over 1/4" of standing water at 65 mph in well-worn, stock Bolt EV tires without issue.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have a '17 Bolt and have been terrified twice with unexpected hydroplaning. Doesn't rain much in San Diego, so we get the oily road effect when it does start. The situation occurrs when driving about 50 or 60 on a wet freeway. Brake lights ahead, I apply the brakes moderately and it went into hydroplaning - heading for the rear of the car ahead. The car's antilock feature seems to contribute to the problem. I can gently steer the car during hydroplaning, avoiding a rear end collision so far. Be very careful in these situations !!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Add me to the list of people who HATE the OEM Michelins for lack of wet/dry traction and poor handling. I replaced mine with Vredestein Quatrac 5's, bought a portable compressor, plug kit, and can of sealer, and never looked back. The Vredesteins are low rolling resistance, "Y" speed rated (186 mph), and noticed no significant difference in range. In driving, however, they are day and night better for handling and stopping. I have these tires on 2 other cars (a 2002 WRX wagon, and a 2012 Toyota Highlander AWD). I did note that each tire is different (WRX tires were made in Hungary, and are V rated, and the Highlander tires are made in Denmark, like those on the Bolt, but also with a lower speed rating, but still at a level that is imaginary for the Bolt). While the speed rating is superfluous for the Bolt, it reflects a higher quality tire construction. I consider these some of the best tires I have owned. They receive good reviews from Tire Rack and Consumer Reports, among others, and are considered among the best all season tires for snow too.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
The Vredesteins are low rolling resistance, "Y" speed rated (186 mph), and noticed no significant difference in range.
I find that last part to be a bit suspect. While I'm sure the Vredesteins are decently efficient, the Michelin Energy Saver A/S are in another class, even among low rolling resistance tires. Perhaps it's only a 5% difference in range, but to some people, that would be significant. Everything with tires is a trade off, so we don't just get "free" better handling, better water evacuation, and better cold weather characteristics.

That being said, I'm over 60,000 miles in my second set of OEM Michelin Energy Saver A/S (these are for the Gen 2 Volt), so I will be looking to replace them soon. I'll add the Vredestein Quatrac 5 to my list of consideration (I tend to do A LOT of research before purchasing tires).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts