Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we just picked up the 2020 Bolt LT today. My wife and I currently both have a 2017 Bolt LT, so if my counting/math is correct, that makes three Bolts in the household. One will be lease returned in about 2-3 months, and another will be returned later this year.

Didn't see another thread on this topic, so here are my observations after driving the 2020 Bolt for a little bit:

2020 Pros:
1. More range
2. AC/Heat separate buttons
3. Set max charge level
4. Front seats have more cushioning, definitely more comfortable, especially the lumbar area.
5. Suspension feels less harsh, overall just feels like a more solid car. Either 30k+ miles on the Bolts really causes a deterioration in ride quality, or they made minor suspension improvements
6. HD rear cam is nice
7. Seems like there are a decent amount of extra settings you can mess with (door locks, check the rear seat reminder, horn/lights)

2017 Pros:
1. Rear doors have exterior unlock buttons on the handles. Very helpful if you have kids that you need to load first.

2020 Cons:
1. Rear door handle unlock - see above
2. Makes this weird humming/pedestrian warning type sound. Need to figure out if it can be disabled
3. The front grill is now very textured. Its like that flame motif went from 2d to 3d.

Anyways the subtle changes are nice, or maybe its just having a new car again is nice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great list and I agree with everything, picked up my 2020 LT in December.

The one that drives me nuts is the removal of the rear door handle unlock! I had no idea how convenient it was until it was gone!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
The one that drives me nuts is the removal of the rear door handle unlock! I had no idea how convenient it was until it was gone!
I wonder where GM gets its input for design changes. I LOVE this feature and would miss it. To my knowledge, GM does not follow or consider the comments on this particular forum (with > 6000 contributors {not all of whom own, or have even driven, a Bolt EV}).

·
Registered
797 Posts
Hopefully the pedestrian warning on the 2020 is like the earlier cars... pull one fuse in the fuse box and it is disabled with no warning lights or other problems. I just wish I could turn it on "as needed" in parking lots like at grocery stores that actually have pedestrians walking around. I just hated hearing it every time I slowed down for a stop light / stop sign, so I pulled the fuse.

From your comment I assume that the pedestrian warning on the 2020 is more intrusive and annoying than on the earlier cars?

On the subject of door handle buttons, not having them on the rear would be annoying, but I found that in bad winter weather they can get covered in ice and not work... I wish GM used a buttonless proximity recognition to unlock the doors... that would solve the problem of bad weather AND rear door access.

Keith

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hopefully the pedestrian warning on the 2020 is like the earlier cars... pull one fuse in the fuse box and it is disabled with no warning lights or other problems. I just wish I could turn it on "as needed" in parking lots like at grocery stores that actually have pedestrians walking around. I just hated hearing it every time I slowed down for a stop light / stop sign, so I pulled the fuse.
Sept. 2019 started a phase-in period where the pedestrian warning horn is mandatory vs. optional for a manufacturer to install. Wouldn't disable it on a 2020 unless I was 100% sure I would never hit a pedestrian. I'm worth suing though.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Sept. 2019 started a phase-in period where the pedestrian warning horn is mandatory vs. optional for a manufacturer to install. Wouldn't disable it on a 2020 unless I was 100% sure I would never hit a pedestrian. I'm worth suing though.
Mandatory or optional for the manufacturer, it was installed on my 2017... I was just wondering if the 2020 is even more annoying.

If you are worried about lawyers, take the fuse out, blow it with over current (hook directly to a battery) and reinstall it. If there is any investigation after you run down your mother in law, they will find the blown fuse, and it will be to blame for the non-functional pedestrian warning :)

Keith

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I deliver for Meals on Wheels and use my rear door lock/unlock buttons constantly. Every time I see other cars that lack the buttons it reminds me how nice they are to have. It's a real shame that they've dropped them from the 2020 Bolt EV.

I wish GM used a buttonless proximity recognition to unlock the doors... that would solve the problem of bad weather AND rear door access.
Wasn't that supposed to be the function of KeyPass?

Also, don't forget that if the door buttons themselves are frozen you can still manually unlock them using your fob.

·
Registered
57 Posts
got my 2020 bolt premier yesterday and noticed today no rear door outside lock buttons / caught me by surprise
also can mention no 2 yr maintenance like tire rotations I had on the 2017
and trial onstar is only for 1 month not 3 months

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
got my 2020 bolt premier yesterday and noticed today no rear door outside lock buttons / caught me by surprise
also can mention no 2 yr maintenance like tire rotations I had on the 2017
I saw in some paperwork free first maintenance within 12 mo 12k, but might be dealer specific. They did give me 21k Chevy points for the purchase, which supposedly is worth $100 in service or accessories. Didn't get anything when I leases the two 2017s (one from same dealer, one from another dealer)

I'm not sure if it's the pedestrian earning sound, but it was audible up to 30 mph and maybe higher. It's a very low hum, definitely is not there on the 2017. I noticed it but it didn't bother me too much, but in a short 2 min drive my wife noticed it immediately and couldn't stop hearing it. So, not the end of the world but again, noticeable.

I think there's an option now to auto lock the doors when you leave, but I haven't researched what all of the options do. The language and pictures on the option screen aren't the most intuitive. For example, there's an option that disables outside door locking where you lock the door by pressing the tiny button on the handle. I guess some people want to dig their key out of the bag/pocket to lock, or manually press the button inside before closing the door. That was the first thing we enabled - allow exterior door locking from the handle button

·
Registered
10 Posts
Picked up our 2020 Premier this week, returned our 2017 LT. Rear locks goofed us up too but really nice car, better ride, safer, longer range and the price kills everything out there. Fully loaded, even GM heavy duty floor mats for our northern winters. My dealer said she called dozens of dealers trying to get stock but everyone is out or running out.
Switched my Bridgestone WS80 snows with wheels on to the new car. They cut the range but boy are they good in the snow and ice. I'll flip the original Mich. tires back in April and get a better idea of the greater range but the difference seems to be noticeable even with the WS80's.

I thought I read somewhere that the new charging rate is 80kW, anyone tried it out, we charge at home but might be good for summer trips.

Still love this car!

·
Registered
57 Posts
another change i found from the 2017 to a 2020 is turning the fan speed off / before i used to just knock the fan speed down to 0 / now you have to hit the "ON" button again to turn fan off . I was thinking maybe they wanted low speed fan on all the time .

·
Registered
153 Posts
Was there ever a clear answer on the MyChevrolet APP Remote Keyfob / Onstar confusion?
I know with my '17 Bolt, I got Onstar "Basic" free for 5 years, which included remote keyfob functions.
So I can remote lock/unlock/precondition, etc.. No need for an OnStar plan.

Since then, it is my understanding that OnStar has changed their "Basic" plan and the Remote Keyfob is no longer part of it. You can buy the Remote Keyfob package from OnStar for $15/month.
Now, my remote stuff still works, and that is probably because even tho it just said I got OnStar Basic, at the time OnStar Basic included Remote Keyfob.

I have been hearing from people buying newer Bolts with lots of problems trying to get Remote Keyfob free...

It sounds like maybe that is no longer free for 5 years and you'd have to pay for it.
If so, 5 years at $15/month is $900... So that's not a tiny bit of money. ;-(

I wonder if someone negotiating with a dealer would be able to get that thrown in, or is OnStar separate enough that it wouldn't be an option.

(Interesting part is that OnStar (and Chevy) are collecting a lot of data from us owners. If I weren't getting Remote Keyfob for "free" in exchange for that, I'd be tempted to pull the modem card so they weren't getting my data for nothing.. But that's just me.. ;-)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Wasn't that supposed to be the function of KeyPass?

Also, don't forget that if the door buttons themselves are frozen you can still manually unlock them using your fob.
Both of these solutions (KeyPass and Fob) require taking something out of your pocket. Since we are talking about the buttons being frozen over, I assume the user is wearing gloves, and has to remove them first. That's just an extra hassle, and exposes your hands to the frigid air (uncomfortable).

I know, I know, first world problems. But not a problem with my wife's CMax (it senses your hand in the handle plus your key in your pocket). But her car doesn't have rear buttons, and that's a pain for the kids.

·
Registered
32 Posts
pull one fuse in the fuse box and it is disabled with no warning lights or other problems. I just wish I could turn it on "as needed" in parking lots
me too, occasionally . That could be easy, add a dash rocker-switch to interrupt that circuit

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have been hearing from people buying newer Bolts with lots of problems trying to get Remote Keyfob free...
The MyChevrolet app on Android 10 just crashes when trying to use the key fob functionality (whether or not in KeyPass range).

·
Registered
153 Posts
The MyChevrolet app on Android 10 just crashes when trying to use the key fob functionality (whether or not in KeyPass range).
Too bad about that. Hope they get it resolved.
I'm still on Android 9 (I just double checked. ;-) and use it daily without issues.
Also, I have never setup the Keypass stuff... I just use remote keyfob functions in the app.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Too bad about that. Hope they get it resolved.
I'm still on Android 9 (I just double checked. ;-) and use it daily without issues.
Also, I have never setup the Keypass stuff... I just use remote keyfob functions in the app.
Without KeyPass (which required lots of tries to set up on Android 9, but no longer works on Android 10), the MyChevrolet app goes through OnStar for the key fob (and other) functionality.

When I had KeyPass working, doing anything through the MyChevrolet app was much faster when in KeyPass range than when it had to go through OnStar.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts