Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see on my window sticker that 65% of my car’s parts are US/Canadian and 19% are Korean. I’m curious, is that 19% mostly the battery and is there a place to look up a more detailed breakdown of which parts are made where?

·
Registered
847 Posts
I am not sure if there is a way to really find out the origin of the parts.
Even if the battery pack has Made in Somewhere, the subparts could be made Elsewhere.

Mind me asking - Why do you want to know that?

Reactions: Todd111

·
Registered
4 Posts
I see on my window sticker that 65% of my car’s parts are US/Canadian and 19% are Korean. I’m curious, is that 19% mostly the battery and is there a place to look up a more detailed breakdown of which parts are made where?
The motor is also made in Korea (it says on top of it). I believe I've heard that the AC and display are as well. All by LG.

That means US made parts are probably the body, interior, wheels, etc. The windows, although they come from a Chinese company (Fuyao), I looked it up and apparently they own one of the largest glass factories in the world here in the US. There's even a Netflix documentary on it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mind me asking - Why do you want to know that?
I’ve owned only Japanese brands until now (a couple of them were built in America). The info on the window sticker just got me curious about my first “American” car.

So...I’m only really asking out of curiosity.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
847 Posts
Keep the business local?
Keep your neighbors employed?
American car, huh?
Wheels are stamped China or Korea, tires are where, India? France?, TPMS - China?, battery?...
I wonder how many parts were really made on the US soil.
And honestly - I do not think it matters as you use the car here. In the US. You bought it here where the tax was paid.
The market/trade exchange will even it out. US can make other cars and ship them out.

Uhm... Korean manufacturer, KIA, has the assembly plant in Georgia (state of GA, I mean), while USA manufacturer, Ford, has it's plant in Ontario (that is in Canada). So how does it work then?
Can one follow up all parts and pieces origin?

And just out of curiosity - if you find out that in reality 53% of parts are from overseas locations - will you be upset with the car? Will you ban sales?

I am sorry for ranting, but I am really puzzled by the "must be made in Murica" approach.

Just the other day, in my local Home Depot, I purchased wooden panels to finish basement. Turned out they were made in... Sweden. How does it make any sense to import wood from Sweden?

·
Registered
10,647 Posts
As I understand, environmental regulations restrict harvesting in the US, so it is often cheaper to ship from overseas.
I wish that was true. Central Virginia looks like a war zone. Trees are considered a crop here...a crop that takes 40 years to regrow, assuming they will grow back given increasing temperatures, diseases, and pests.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
As I understand, environmental regulations restrict harvesting in the US, so it is often cheaper to ship from overseas.
This is true. I took an Alaska cruise years ago that ended in Canada. I did some reading about the areas the ship was passing through and stopping at. I learned that there was once huge lumber mills and paper plants and thousands employed up there. All that came to an end due to regulations to appease "environmental" groups. As we were working our way through the islands off the coast, shortly after crossing into Canada, there were suddenly these huge chunks of brown where trees had been recently clear-cut. You could also see huge tracts of shorter trees that had been previously cut. Apparently Canada has no problem with using their replaceable natural resources.

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier
981 Posts
Other than the parts that LG built (the drive train, battery, and the infotainment system), I know that many of the mechanical parts in Bolt EV are also sourced from Korean factories. This is because I saw GM Korea sending a notice a couple of years ago that said that it would reduce the price of the locally-sourced parts used in the repairs. It seems that this was possible through getting the parts directly. Apparently, it used to be that the parts made in Korea was first shipped to the U.S., then when it was needed it was shipped (back) to Korea. Heh.

·
Registered
10,647 Posts
Uh... we're talking about trees here, negative Nancy.
And the scientists are saying we need to be planting unimaginable numbers of them. So many that we need to stop using land for cattle feed, and convert it instead to trees. So my point is cutting trees is counterproductive, unless you are planning to dump them in a subduction zone, Pollyanna.

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,455 Posts
It's strange that this tag has changed that much.
I doubt the car parts actually changed that much, but who cares.
Someone in the department that makes these labels has some splaining to do.
But GM is doing more important work right now, carry on....

·
Registered
2020 Premier
143 Posts
In 2021 the engine/trans is made in the U.S, 2020 in Korea. The 2020 Korean parts content (including e/t) was 57% and 2021 (not including e/t) was 19%. Assuming not too much else changed in where it was made (e.g. battery is U.S. in both cases) I think that says the engine/trans is 38% of the vehicle cost FWIW.

This may be relevant if there is a retroactive EV tax credit - I hope 43% U.S. (2020) is enough to qualify. 2021 at 81% U.S. should qualify but it depends on how they define made in the U.S.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts