Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
There's no way to disable that which works. I recall a "Remote Left in Vehicle Alert" from page 149 of https://my.gm.ca/content/dam/gmowne...?evar25=ch_bolt-recall_owners-manuals_bolt-ev. I've shut that off already and checked it. It doesn't help. Have gone thru this many times (e.g. checking that the setting is off and turn it on then exiting then back off then exiting)

If you know of a setting that works, let me know.

I don't recall the exact repro steps but it's along the lines of with fob in pocket, turn off car. Exit car via driver's door and maybe close it (don't lock anything and I don't have passive locking or unlocking enabled). Re-enter from driver's side w/fob in pocket. Upon closing driver's door you may get the triple quick braps of the horn.
I have a 2021 LT and I was able to turn off the horn blaring when the car is turned off and the remote is left in the car. Home Screen/Settings/Vehicle/Remote Lock Unlock and Start/Remote Left in Vehicle

·
Registered
12/16 build, 2017, white LT
11,196 Posts
There's no way to disable that which works.
Here is what I did four and a half years ago. I went into vehicle setting on the center screen and turned every single thing off. There are dozens. Then after a few days, I went back and selected the two or three I wanted. Our Bolt is blessedly silent, and only blinks lights for the few things I want.

·
Registered
28 Posts
After the first snow with our Bolt, I couldn't get up our gently-sloping driveway. It just came to a stop. It was weird pressing the accelerator pedal and nothing happened. I needed to turn off traction control and then it was no problem.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
700 Posts
Here is what I did four and a half years ago. I went into vehicle setting on the center screen and turned every single thing off. There are dozens. Then after a few days, I went back and selected the two or three I wanted. Our Bolt is blessedly silent, and only blinks lights for the few things I want.
I believe they made significant changes to the settings beginning with either the 21 or 22 model year. I'll have to look again, but I don't recall seeing any of those in my car. Based on the appearance of the EV function display, they changed a lot in there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
After the first snow with our Bolt, I couldn't get up our gently-sloping driveway. It just came to a stop. It was weird pressing the accelerator pedal and nothing happened. I needed to turn off traction control and then it was no problem.
That is a great idea. We are supposed to get snow tomorrow and I will give that a shot too.

·
Registered
400 Posts
When I bought my 2019 Bolt at the local dealer, the lady at the end of the process, who hands you the keys, said to me: "We're going to go to the car and push a button to initialize OnStar. An agent will answer and get some contact information from you, and they'll offer you an extra month (or two?) of OnStar for free. But to get the free months you need to give them your credit card info." I think she could read me well enough to recognize that I'm not the kind of person who signs up for a lot of subscription fees. So she advised me: "If you don't think you'll be interested in subscribing to OnStar, then you may want to decline the extra free months, so they don't have the ability to bill you for any additional services." I don't recall hearing anything from OnStar after my purchase, so maybe they only hassle you if they have your CC?

I found my local dealership experience to be straightforward and reasonable. Obviously, that can vary (a lot) from one to the next.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
You CAN NOT go from L to D while driving. Geeze
I think you mean you CAN NOT. My car requires a foot on the brake pedal and a push of the side button on the shifter stalk to get out of Park. Then I can shuffle between D and L all day with no need for anything but moving the shifter. It wants no motion, a foot on the brakes, plus a push on the side button to go from D or L into Reverse, but coming out of R into D is one pull back on the shifter and another for L sans button. One forward push for L to D.

Neutral? I am never sure about how it does neutral, and specifically at the car wash when you don’t want the parking brake to automatically come on when it senses movement. I have to tell the attendant to wait for my signal to start the car wash ☹

That is an issue that needs to be addressed by Chevy. But if you can’t go from D to L or visa-versa, you might want to have a service call set up. They will get either the car or you on the right page 😉

·
Registered
86 Posts
An agent will answer and get some contact information from you, and they'll offer you an extra month (or two?) of OnStar for free. But to get the free months you need to give them your credit card info."
I too am not one to sign up for free things even if you just have to give them a little information and cancel it later.

I had the same experience you did except I pushed back and said that I didn't see anywhere that said that I had to provide my CC to get the extra free months. All I saw was X number of free months of service. After a bit of back and forth, they gave me the free months without me providing any CC info.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
When I bought my 2019 Bolt at the local dealer, the lady at the end of the process, who hands you the keys, said to me: "We're going to go to the car and push a button to initialize OnStar. An agent will answer and get some contact information from you, and they'll offer you an extra month (or two?) of OnStar for free. But to get the free months you need to give them your credit card info." I think she could read me well enough to recognize that I'm not the kind of person who signs up for a lot of subscription fees. So she advised me: "If you don't think you'll be interested in subscribing to OnStar, then you may want to decline the extra free months, so they don't have the ability to bill you for any additional services." I don't recall hearing anything from OnStar after my purchase, so maybe they only hassle you if they have your CC?

I found my local dealership experience to be straightforward and reasonable. Obviously, that can vary (a lot) from one to the next.
It could be excellent training because that is exactly how it went down for me as well. My sales guy sat there while the OnStar lady went through her spiel that ended with "...you will not be billed for two months while you enjoy the benefits of OnStar and you may cancel at any time. While you are getting your credit card, let me ask what name the OnStar account will be registered under..." I reached up and hit the OnStar button disconnecting the call. My sales guy was like "Oh.. just hit the button again to reconnect..." I'm said I hung up on purpose and would set up OnStar if I felt it was necessary. My sales guy went on about how it was an important if not necessary service and was visibly upset. He did call twice in the next two months and I did get a bunch of OnStar spam.

The fun part of the story is my daughter and I drove out of the dealership with her new Bolt, got on a highway and then into an interchange to another major highway and at 65 miles per hour, the Bolt drastically slowed to 35 miles per hour. At the time I did not know about the low battery speed limiting function so we were pretty freaked out plus the battery showed as fully charged. We pulled over to a tiny shoulder and called the dealership and I asked for my sales guy. Sales guy was unaware of anything that would limit the vehicles speed. He wanted me to bring it back but I was sort of reluctant to drive 35 MPH on a major 65 MPH highway until the next exit. So the sales guy says "call OnStar and see if they can get you roadside assistance". Touché.

We limped back to the dealership and after three hours sitting there they determined it was a known defect with a Chevy alert notice to dealerships and they would need to order a part. I was given a loaner after another hour. It was fixed in ten days and the car has been great ever since.

I had been looking for a month or so and found this Bolt online. I set a appointment with a sales guy to come look at the car with financing in hand. The sales guy never showed for the appointment so I was handed to another guy. It took over two hours to complete the sale and I had to go get my kid at that point. Told him to prep the car and leave it out front so I could surprise my kid and we could finalize signatures etc. an hour later. Came back and it was another hour to sign and get the keys and go through the OnStar nonsense. Then had the 35 MPH issue. In total, I spent seven hours at that dealership.

The last Tesla I purchased was online and WITH FINANCING the process took twenty minutes from account creation to receiving an estimated delivery date five weeks later. The night before pickup we got an email saying where the car was at the showroom and when we got to the car hit "unlock" in the app. Arrived at Tesla and 10 cars and three white model Y were in front. It was exciting to hit the unlock button and see the lights flash showing her which was her new car. Got in the car, there was a clipboard with a few sheets of paper, a pen and stickies with three places to sign. This was height of COVID and the instructions said drop the completed paperwork in a drop box by the door or call a number if you wish to have someone come out and do a use training with proper masking and distancing of course. Since I already had a Tesla we declined training and just drove off.

One other fun fact, my wife went to a SuperCharger a month or so later and there was a mobile Tesla service vehicle parked there. As she was charging, the tech came over and spent half an hour going over the features and best practices of the car answering any questions she had. The tech said he regularly hung out at that SuperCharger between calls just talking to Tesla owners and answering questions.

Yes, the experience can vary. I enjoyed the Tesla experience significantly more than the Chevy one.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV LT, Driver Confidence Package
105 Posts
I had the same experience you did except I pushed back and said that I didn't see anywhere that said that I had to provide my CC to get the extra free months. All I saw was X number of free months of service. After a bit of back and forth, they gave me the free months without me providing any CC info.
Back in August when I bought my 2022 EUV I took a chance, provided my CC to the OnStar agent, and got my extra free month or however long it was. Then I canceled OnStar just before the free period expired via their website. It was painless. The "Connected Access" OnStar plan continues free for 10 years until August 2031. The latter doesn't seem to support anything more than current state of charge, charging status and text notification when charging is complete.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yes, but you gave out your information. Over many years of my cybersecurity career, I have learned that it is always best to avoid providing your information. Even when it is painless. I'm sure many people suspect, but never take the time to read the Ts & Cs for the things they sign up for.

By taking the chance and signing up and then cancelling, you have had yourself added to at least one marketing list. The Ts & Cs can give a hit of where else your contact information may end up.

Free is rearely truly free when you have to sign up for something.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV LT, Driver Confidence Package
105 Posts
Guilty as charged. :) Crossing my fingers, so far I haven't been inundated with marketing.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt LT
215 Posts
This is my daughters car but I have been driving it for six weeks until she gets her license in February. My overall impression is the Bolt is a fantastic vehicle and my daughter absolutely loves it. She finds it way easier to drive as she is learning that anything else she has been in. Compared to similar vehicles including ICE it is an 8.5 out of 10. I really love this car. Likes and dislikes ignore the fact this is an EV. We have three EVs in the garage so just focusing on car form and function.

It looks cool for a small car. The styling all the way around is excellent. It has pretty big and wide wheels for a car of this size and even the LT model wheels look sweet. The car looks clean and well proportioned. Daughter comment I second; the slant of the windows makes them huge and provides really great visibility. The mirrors sit low so you have very little view obstruction and the hood slants aggressively so you can't see it. Love the non wide angle mirrors, great field of vision and unobstructed view. Hate wide angle "fish eye" mirrors. Interior is huge, hatchback it very large as well. It feels like the entirety of the car is passenger compartment. The interior is very clean and well laid out, the center screen is integrated into the dash well and easy to reach. We have the white so the interior has a really cool white accent around the dash that looks like snow. It makes the interior very bright. There are still buttons and knobs which I don't like but there only a few and the controls are laid out ergonomically. The two screens are bright and have some customization. The design team was on the same page, nothing seems out of place. This is a very well designed car aesthetically. Really like regen braking in low or the option to stay in drive and have more "coast". Not being able to go back to drive once put in low unless you stop is a head scratcher.

Dislikes
Please let me know if there are things I dislike but the cars actually does, I have only been driving it for six weeks. Dislikes number one through about 17 is the dealership. My first two EV purchases were entirely online and after that, I would prefer to never visit a dealership again. I have been hounded for two months to buy OnStar and I can not see any value at all for $200 a year. My sales guy called me twice to subscribe during the 60 day free period and I had to block the OnStar emails. I'm pre-recall so I have scheduled the software update. (Just making the appointment was a pain in the a). I physically have to drive to a dealership and wait 2 hours for a software update. Manufacturers like GM and Toyota that think customers are going to pay for apps or updates that provide little to no benefit will be left behind. I see zero value in the dealership model. Dealerships may be the anchor that sinks legacy manufacturers.

I have the basic Chevy app but I did look at functionality in the OnStar premium version and the additional features seem useless. But so it the basic Chevy app. You can lock/unlock with the Chevy app but can't drive the car. The only two features that seem useful are "where is my car" so I can track my daughter and charge status. I can use "find my phone" for the former and any of the charging company's apps (i.e. ChargePoint) for the later.

Locking/unlocking, starting and putting into drive. OK seriously I hate this part of the car. Hate the useless fob or any other $350 piece of ($#!T) plastic. The theft protecting RFID chip costs $0.20. You have to hit the button on the door or on the fob to unlock (or in the app but you can't drive with the app), why not just auto unlock? The car freaks out and blares three staccato horn honks if you leave the fob in the car. Yes car, I know I left the fob, I meant to leave the fob, I'm an adult with free will in possession of an otherwise useless phone app that can unlock the car if it somehow locks itself which is impossible since the car DOES NOT AUTOMATICALY LOCK. You have to push a button to start and then another button on the gearshift lever to move the shifter. It takes 10 seconds for the car to connect to your phone and you have to select your phone from a list but after connection, you need to wait another few seconds because the notice that your phone connected is OVER the button to connect. It makes me want to punch a baby. (I know you can select a default phone but I needed to vent).

The infotainment system is extremely limited. I have played around with all the screens and there is some very useful energy information. The radio interface is fine and the call interface is OK but everything else you need to use your phone to control. You cast maps and music apps from your phone. No native Spotify etc in the car and the on-screen functionality is almost non existent. You can play and pause, that's it. As a dad, I freaking hate that because I don't want my daughter looking at her phone while driving. The final straw is there is no place to put your phone.

The final issue is sort of big but is kind of not really because of my expectations. The Bolt AWD is not great in snow. I have lived in Colorado all my driving life and driven world class AWD vehicles. The Bolt is average in comparison to Audi's etc. costing twice as much. I have a model 3 and it has done some amazing stuff over Vail pass in blizzard conditions surpassing any AWD I have ever driven until it it hits it's limited clearance. With the Bolt you have to learn the technique to keep power to the wheels as they begin to lose traction. Going up a snowy hill when the wheels lose traction, the Bolt just keeps slowing down trying to gain traction. You can flutter the accelerator and fool the traction control to keep power going to the wheels. For corners you need to slow down excessively before the corner so you can keep power to the drivetrain or it just slides out.

The final analyses is I think the Bolt is an awesome, well designed car. Getting a teenage girl to think it is super cool is an amazing accomplishment and the annoying drawbacks are just annoying. The Bolt is such a great car.
Bolt has AWD? New to me, I thought FWD only??

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think you mean you CAN NOT. My car requires a foot on the brake pedal and a push of the side button on the shifter stalk to get out of Park. Then I can shuffle between D and L all day with no need for anything but moving the shifter. It wants no motion, a foot on the brakes, plus a push on the side button to go from D or L into Reverse, but coming out of R into D is one pull back on the shifter and another for L sans button. One forward push for L to D.

Neutral? I am never sure about how it does neutral, and specifically at the car wash when you don’t want the parking brake to automatically come on when it senses movement. I have to tell the attendant to wait for my signal to start the car wash ☹

That is an issue that needs to be addressed by Chevy. But if you can’t go from D to L or visa-versa, you might want to have a service call set up. They will get either the car or you on the right page 😉
One click backwards on the gear selector cycles between D & L. Push the gear selector forward two times with a slight pause between and you have N.

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
After a good rain our dirt road gets very muddy. The first time I tried to drive my Bolt through the mud it kept slowing down as I kept pushing the accelerator further and further down. You don't want to stop in mud because that's it. You're stuck. After that little experience, I learned to turn off the traction control. Never had a problem after that.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts