Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wonder what happened... surprised GM was not able to have faster DC for 2022...

·
Registered
65 Posts
If the car could do 100 kW charging, but the battery was more expensive and the car's MSRP was consequently $53,000, would anybody have bought it?

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT, 2021 Kona EV SEL
607 Posts
I have a lot of theories on this, ultimately I think it's a combination of a number of factors but one I don't think is talked about often is that you can only charge Li-Ion batteries so fast before you start to eat into the longterm SoC. Even if GM re-enginered the on-board charger to accept 100kW peak charging, how much gain is there to be had from a 6X kWh battery pack before you start to lose 10% per year?

The 75kW charging on my Kona is not 50% faster than my Bolt, for instance and that's because of precisely this.

I'll be really interested to see how the Ioniq 5 holds up with its 800v charging architecture all maxed out on a 77.4 kWh battery. I would not be surprised if we see Tesla-level drop off yoy on soc. Maybe there's a whole lot to be gained from BMS as per @The Other Tom 's point and GM didn't want to waste the effort on this generation of Bolt but there's still a battle of battery longevity they're contending with.

I can see that GM engineers are more conservative on some of this stuff than Hyundai observing them both side by side, at least with this generation of Bolt, I would not be surprised if keeping it at 50kW DC FC is part of that conservative philosophy. If they want to be known for good, reliable batteries it won't help them in 2030 if all the Bolts only have 70 miles total with severe performance problems.

This SOC matters, look at how we look at used Leafs now. Leaf was a glorious car for its time it's kind of viewed as junk, used.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
The leaf suffered also from the huge government givaways. The CA cars were flooding the market used and since everyone knew they were almost free to the original owners, why pay more? And they just didn't cut it in terms of miles range.

·
Registered
607 Posts
The Leaf suffered from an air battery cooling system as opposed to a coolant system like every other EV uses. IMO, this hurt the battery more than anything.
Yeah but Teslas are noted for losing 10% SoC per year and that seems to be way more than our Bolts and they have good battery conditioning. They also don't have 3x the battery pack size to go with that 3x draw and DC FC so maybe I'm oversimplifying but I'd wager there's a relationship there.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yeah but Teslas are noted for losing 10% SoC per year and that seems to be way more than our Bolts and they have good battery conditioning. They also don't have 3x the battery pack size to go with that 3x draw and DC FC so maybe I'm oversimplifying but I'd wager there's a relationship there.
No they don’t lose 10%/year. Where did you get that from? That would put 2012 Model S’s with 0% capacity.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Yeah but Teslas are noted for losing 10% SoC per year
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Now where did you pull that FUD from? I know a few tesla drivers that don’t have that issue at all.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I've seen 7% bandied about in 20k miles in several places, sorry for the rounding. Also, 10% / year would not put the Model S at 0%, that's not how percentages work.

As for state of health vs. state of charge, I'll fill up my car from the electron hose with all the kwhs I want on the L3 charger.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I've seen 7% bandied about in 20k miles in several places, sorry for the rounding. Also, 10% / year would not put the Model S at 0%, that's not how percentages work.

As for state of health vs. state of charge, I'll fill up my car from the electron hose with all the kwhs I want on the L3 charger.
What you’ve seen then is also FUD. My almost 4 year old Tesla with 70k miles has lost about 6% and the rate of degradation has tapered. The Tesla average is 10% after 155,000 miles.

·
Registered
607 Posts
What you’ve seen then is also FUD. My almost 4 year old Tesla with 70k miles has lost about 6% and the rate of degradation has tapered. The Tesla average is 10% after 155,000 miles.
This is a somewhat silly rabbit hole as you and your charging/driving habits are going to be different from the next guy.

Not trying to have a conversation about Tesla being crap or exact drop-off in mileage over time, merely trying to say there are known tradeoffs between charging/dissipating lithium-ion battery packs at high volume and wondering how it will play out long term with Chevy on the conservative end and Tesla on the aggressive end.

I expect Teslas to be on the road 10+ years which is all they were gunning for, not trying to poop on them or their design model.

Again, really not trying to make the focus the exact dropoff over time for Tesla.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts