Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

141 - 160 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Oh, I dont know. I kinda like the subsidies. It’s a good use of public money, as power generation, grid upgrades, coachbuilding, and so on will generate far more jobs than fossil will. The green part is just gravy.
But specific to the $7500, that Tesla and GM have shot their wad gives an advantage to the others, which is a good thing since adoption rates and economies of scale are critical to switching to electric cars. Seems unfair, and frankly it was unfair when the only cars on the market were $100,000 Teslas that only the rich could afford. But now it makes even more sense, big picture.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Page 303 of https://my.chevrolet.com/content/da.../boltev/2020-chevrolet-bolt-owners-manual.pdf lists maintenance for the 2020 model:

Rotate tires every 7,500 miles.
Replace cabin air filter every 22,500 miles or 2 years.
Replace coolant every 150,000 miles or 5 years.
Replace brake fluid every 5 years.
Replace wiper blades every 15,000 miles or 1 year. * **
Replace air conditioning dessicant every 7 years. **
Replace gas struts every 75,000 miles. **

* = Probably easy to tell when needed to replace.
** = Not present in 2017 model owner's manual.

Obviously, replace things like tires when they get worn out or damaged.
Great, thanks. Interesting, the Bolt has coolant needing to be replaced?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Know that Chevrolet/GM does not qualify for the up-to-$7,500 federal tax credit because they have sold too many cars, but curious about it: When it was available, was there an income ceiling limitation? Could a person have earned too much income and thus not qualified for it?
Kind of the opposite, actually. Most low income families would not have qualified for the full credit because they would not have owed that much in taxes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Kind of the opposite, actually. Most low income families would not have qualified for the full credit because they would not have owed that much in taxes.
Makes sense, thanks. Thought I saw somewhere that the federal credit had an income ceiling so someone like Jeff Bezo wouldn't qualify for it if he bought, say, an Ioniq.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Makes sense, thanks. Thought I saw somewhere that the federal credit had an income ceiling so someone like Jeff Bezo wouldn't qualify for it if he bought, say, an Ioniq.
I would imagine the obscenely, insultingly rich would have jets and helicopters and limo's all with drivers available 24/7. Not doodling himself around fraternizing with the great unwashed in little cheapo consumer level cars.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Thought I saw somewhere that the federal credit had an income ceiling so someone like Jeff Bezo wouldn't qualify for it if he bought, say, an Ioniq.
I've heard that idea bandied about and it was included in Biden's campaign policies. But I don't see it in the current version of the GREEN act. Of course it could be amended at any time.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Replace gas struts every 75,000 miles. **
I assume this is the rear hatch gas struts... my rear hatch is starting to not go all the way up unless I push it firmly and it will not stay up under even a light weight like a thin layer of snow...

Keith

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Oh, I dont know. I kinda like the subsidies. It’s a good use of public money, as power generation, grid upgrades, coachbuilding, and so on will generate far more jobs than fossil will. The green part is just gravy.
But specific to the $7500, that Tesla and GM have shot their wad gives an advantage to the others, which is a good thing since adoption rates and economies of scale are critical to switching to electric cars. Seems unfair, and frankly it was unfair when the only cars on the market were $100,000 Teslas that only the rich could afford. But now it makes even more sense, big picture.
You like it, fund it with your own money. Giving wealthy people incentives to purchase cars they don't need is gross and idiotic.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I don't really want a new Bolt EV or Bolt EUV with the slow charging rate and FWD only, I am hoping that any new tax break on GM and Tesla will force their competition to lower prices making them more affordable. I would love to have a 300+ mile vehicle that charges at 150+ KW to fairly high in the SOC range for the new Bolt EV prices.

Keith

·
Registered
744 Posts
I don't really want a new Bolt EV or Bolt EUV with the slow charging rate and FWD only, I am hoping that any new tax break on GM and Tesla will force their competition to lower prices making them more affordable. I would love to have a 300+ mile vehicle that charges at 150+ KW to fairly high in the SOC range for the new Bolt EV prices.

Keith
And I'd like to fly a Unicorn to work too. I think that what we both want are equally unlikely. The Audi E-tron accomplishes 150 kW to high SOC ranges by essentially reserving 20% of the raw battery capacity, charging up to 80%, and calling it 100% SOC in the car. Wouldn't it be smarter to release the actual 100% for more effective range, then only charge up to a 80% first/second taper on road trips?

The two things that folks generally want: range and charging speed, are at direct odds with the third thing most want: decent prices. Bolts are selling new in the low $20K range precisely because they don't have 300 miles of range and don't charge at 150 kW.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
And I'd like to fly a Unicorn to work too. I think that what we both want are equally unlikely. The Audi E-tron accomplishes 150 kW to high SOC ranges by essentially reserving 20% of the raw battery capacity, charging up to 80%, and calling it 100% SOC in the car. Wouldn't it be smarter to release the actual 100% for more effective range, then only charge up to a 80% first/second taper on road trips?

The two things that folks generally want: range and charging speed, are at direct odds with the third thing most want: decent prices. Bolts are selling new in the low $20K range precisely because they don't have 300 miles of range and don't charge at 150 kW.

ga2500ev
The Ultium battery pack is cheaper to build than the Bolt EV battery pack. So tell me again the reason we don't have low cost 300+ mile fast charging Chevy's?

Keith

·
Registered
744 Posts
The Ultium battery pack is cheaper to build than the Bolt EV battery pack. So tell me again the reason we don't have low cost 300+ mile fast charging Chevy's?

Keith
Because you have to have more battery capacity to support those goals. If the Ultium is 30% cheaper but you need 30% more battery to get the range and the charging speed, then it's a wash. That starts the spinning cycle of needing a larger vehicle to carry the batteries, which means that you'll need even more batteries to keep the range up.

Trying to improve range is a death cycle. The only way to win the game is really not to play.

Note that Ultium is going into a $110K Hummer and a $70K Lyriq. It may be 5 years from now before you see one in a $30K vehicle.

·
Registered
713 Posts
FYI
I received this email from my local Chevy dealer when I asked about availability:
"The 2022 Bolt EUV will be available by reservation only. No dealership nation wide will be given a Bolt EUV unless a client has ordered it."

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
FYI
I received this email from my local Chevy dealer when I asked about availability:
"The 2022 Bolt EUV will be available by reservation only. No dealership nation wide will be given a Bolt EUV unless a client has ordered it."
And that's all we need to know about how serious GM is with selling the BEV2 platform.

I hope they don't pull this nonsense with the Ultium EVs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
And that's all we need to know about how serious GM is with selling the BEV2 platform.

I hope they don't pull this nonsense with the Ultium EVs.
Might that just be that particular dealership's approach to selling the EUV? Any one else receive a similar email from other dealers? Not sure what to think about that approach--does a "reservation" only selling approach mean dealers are going to sell only at MSPR or God forbid at MSRP + Added Markup?

·
Registered
55 Posts
You like it, fund it with your own money. Giving wealthy people incentives to purchase cars they don't need is gross and idiotic.
I totally take your libertarian point. But without some kind of incentive to adopt, we’ll never have electric cars. It must be said that the reason there is any kind of public charging is Tesla. Those were rich man’s cars up till recently.
From my pinko liberal point of view, I’m delighted for you to have some of my money if it helps me in the long run.

·
Registered
731 Posts
It's the American way. Or rather, the American politicians way. I thought it was odd that I got huge tax breaks for solar panels that others could not afford. Then California gave me a boatload of money simply because I had a large yard and removed most of the grass. I almost felt bad and then I thought about the ridiculously high taxes I was paying in the first place.

But without some kind of incentive to adopt, we’ll never have electric cars. It must be said that the reason there is any kind of public charging is Tesla. Those were rich man’s cars up till recently.
I doubt there's very many Tesla owners that only bought the car because there was a government incentive... and now there are none. So saying we will never have electric cars without government incentives isn't accurate. Most government "incentives" only create temporary market imbalances, as has happened here. There will always be those that wish to continue those imbalances far beyond their usefulness.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anybody investigated whether a tow hitch can be installed on the 2022 Bolt EV and/or Bolt EUV with the positioning of the reverse light low and in the middle of the rear bumper? I would need one for a bike carrier.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Because you have to have more battery capacity to support those goals. If the Ultium is 30% cheaper but you need 30% more battery to get the range and the charging speed, then it's a wash. That starts the spinning cycle of needing a larger vehicle to carry the batteries, which means that you'll need even more batteries to keep the range up.

Trying to improve range is a death cycle. The only way to win the game is really not to play.

Note that Ultium is going into a $110K Hummer and a $70K Lyriq. It may be 5 years from now before you see one in a $30K vehicle.
"If the Ultium is 30% cheaper but you need 30% more battery to get the range and the charging speed, then it's a wash."

That is EXACTLY what I asked for, an Ultium batter pack in the Bolt (more energy dense, doesn't need more space for that increase in capacity) at the same cost as the current setup.

I will take it, thanks.

Keith

141 - 160 of 165 Posts