Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey! It's been about two months since I got my Bolt and six months of EV ownership all together. I wanted to make a little update about my time with my 2022 Bolt EV! Thank you to everybody who gave me advice when I was looking to get one and after I did! I thought I'd let you guys know that everything is going great! And I've learned so much!

I've taken it on road trips already! Even with the reduced range I'm having no troubles at all! I am charging more often, and primarily at electrify America stations for the time being. Even so, the slower charge rate hasn't really bothered me much either! I'll just shop around while I wait or talk to other EV owners! My charging situation is a little bit unique, I'm staying with my parents until my life gets settled after my ex uprooted my life! ( Man the big trunk space was helpful for moving ) My parents have been extremely kind to let me charge at an outlet here. I'm using the charger that came with the car, but my parents outlet takes about 3 to 4 days to fully charge the car..so with my long commute to work I primarily charge at electrify America maybe once every three days, and leave the car on charge when I'm at home. I'd love to speak more about my experience not having a (reliable) home charger with an ev if anybody's interested. when I move out of my parents house I will be going to an apartment that also does not have a charging station! I see a lot of people ask about if ev ownership is possible in a situation like that, it totally is. ( Atleast imo )

It's been a blast to own and drive all-around! I have plans to get the roof wrapped black, get the windows tinted so I'm not driving in a fishbowl, and do the dimmer diode thing for the break lights. I haven't seen anybody do this on the EV model though, anybody know what it looks like? Messing around with my car and talking to other EV owners has been a really great distraction for me and has cheered me up so much!

There are so many great things that I love about this car, even the fact that it takes a little bit longer to charge has been a positive for me! I get the opportunity to meet a bunch of other EV owners, see cool evs, and help people out sometimes too! The only negative that I can think of is how the tires will spin out so easily, it prevents me from absolutely launching off at green lights though so maybe it is a positive in the end lol.

In general I am extremely lucky and thankful to have gotten "Baby" in such a great condition ( basically brand new ) at the price point, and time that I did. I absolutely love it! And can't wait to see how things will be in another few months !

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood

Tire Land vehicle Car Wheel Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Dog Hood Car Motor vehicle Window

Attachments

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EV
77 Posts
Hi! When charging at your parents house, you may want to check to see if you are charging at 8 amps or 12. The car will default to 8 amps unless you select 12. If the house wiring is good (i.e.: modern) and there are no other loads on the branch you should be fine charging at 12 amps and it will be a little bit faster than the 8 amp default. The 8/12 amp selection is on the car’s charging menu on the center display.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi! When charging at your parents house, you may want to check to see if you are charging at 8 amps or 12. The car will default to 8 amps unless you select 12. If the house wiring is good (i.e.: modern) and there are no other loads on the branch you should be fine charging at 12 amps and it will be a little bit faster than the 8 amp default. The 8/12 amp selection is on the car’s charging menu on the center display.
Thanks! I did check this out and I decided to stay on 8 amps, they are unsure of if anything else is connected or using the wiring as it is near the garage, it's an outside outlet in a woodsy area too. So I decided to stay on 8 amps just in case, I don't want to over..draw..? If that makes sense, I don't want to put unnecessary pressure on the electrical box..and if a critter decides to chew on The wire or anything happens, it might be a little bit safer? I'm probably not as informed about this as I should be maybe I should revisit this.. using 12 amps would definitely save me from spending so much at EA though!

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EV
77 Posts
An easy way to check what other outlets are on the circuit branch you’re charging from is to shut off the circuit breaker for that circuit at the main panel and see which outlets or lights aren’t working after that. Also I would check to see if the breaker is rated at 15 or 20 amps. If you have a 15 amp circuit breaker you can charge at 12 amps but you’ll want to make sure there are no other loads on the branch (when a continuous current draw is on the line, like for hours and not just a few minutes, you want to make sure you’re not drawing more than 80% of what the circuit is rated for.) If your branch circuit is rated for 20 amps, you’ll have an additional “safety factor”. I charge at Level 1 at home at 12amps on a dedicated 20 amp branch circuit…. It’s been fine for me as I don’t put too many miles on the car in a single day.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
An easy way to check what other outlets are on the circuit branch you’re charging from us to shut off the circuit breaker for that circuit at the main panel and see which outlets or lights aren’t working after that. Also I would check to see if the breaker is rated at 15 or 20 amps. If you have a 15 amp circuit breaker you can charge at 12 amps but you’ll want to make sure there are no other loads on the branch (when a continuous current draw is on the line, like for hours and not just a few minutes, you want to make sure you’re not drawing more than 80% of what the circuit is rated for.) If your branch circuit is rated for 20 amps, you’ll have an additional “safety factor”. I charge at Level 1 at home at 12amps on a dedicated 20 amp branch circuit…. It’s been fine for me as I don’t put too many miles on the car in a single day.
Oh my god, great idea. I'll go check it out and see if I can boost it up to 12 amps! Thank you!!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
5,129 Posts
If you have access to a 240V outlet (clothes dryer or stove?), there's a "hack" to use the OEM 120V EVSE on 240V and charge at 250V x 12A (gain about 10-12 miles for each hour of charging).

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Great to hear from you @ExEV6Bolty ! It looks like you find the hidden truth : when life gives you a kick in the arse, it means at least a step forward, never backwards !
Really happy to know all is good for you and your Bolt ! Enjoy it and smile. My Bolt puts a smile on my face even now, after 4 years of ownership.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
524 Posts
Hey! It's been about two months since I got my Bolt and six months of EV ownership all together. I wanted to make a little update about my time with my 2022 Bolt EV! Thank you to everybody who gave me advice when I was looking to get one and after I did! I thought I'd let you guys know that everything is going great! And I've learned so much!

I've taken it on road trips already! Even with the reduced range I'm having no troubles at all! I am charging more often, and primarily at electrify America stations for the time being. Even so, the slower charge rate hasn't really bothered me much either! I'll just shop around while I wait or talk to other EV owners! My charging situation is a little bit unique, I'm staying with my parents until my life gets settled after my ex uprooted my life! ( Man the big trunk space was helpful for moving ) My parents have been extremely kind to let me charge at an outlet here. I'm using the charger that came with the car, but my parents outlet takes about 3 to 4 days to fully charge the car..so with my long commute to work I primarily charge at electrify America maybe once every three days, and leave the car on charge when I'm at home. I'd love to speak more about my experience not having a (reliable) home charger with an ev if anybody's interested. when I move out of my parents house I will be going to an apartment that also does not have a charging station! I see a lot of people ask about if ev ownership is possible in a situation like that, it totally is. ( Atleast imo )

It's been a blast to own and drive all-around! I have plans to get the roof wrapped black, get the windows tinted so I'm not driving in a fishbowl, and do the dimmer diode thing for the break lights. I haven't seen anybody do this on the EV model though, anybody know what it looks like? Messing around with my car and talking to other EV owners has been a really great distraction for me and has cheered me up so much!

There are so many great things that I love about this car, even the fact that it takes a little bit longer to charge has been a positive for me! I get the opportunity to meet a bunch of other EV owners, see cool evs, and help people out sometimes too! The only negative that I can think of is how the tires will spin out so easily, it prevents me from absolutely launching off at green lights though so maybe it is a positive in the end lol.

In general I am extremely lucky and thankful to have gotten "Baby" in such a great condition ( basically brand new ) at the price point, and time that I did. I absolutely love it! And can't wait to see how things will be in another few months !

View attachment 49796
View attachment 49795 View attachment 49798 View attachment 49800
As PDX mentioned, charging with 12A might be possible and would be faster. Here's the math. It would reduce your 30% to 90% charge time by 12.6hrs. If you were depleting the battery down to 10% (not recommended on a regular basis), it would reduce your 10%-90% charge time by 20.1hrs.

8A:
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Pattern

12A:
Font Material property Rectangle Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks cowboy and pdx, I determine that there is nothing else plugged in using that wire/line.. and it has its own breaker box switch too! I'm going to try using 12 amps tonight to see how it goes! That will certainly help a whole lot as far as how often I'm charging at public chargers, thanks so much guys !!

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
524 Posts
@ARCowboy @PDX Bolt the 12 amps works great! Now I don't have to charge up in public so much anymore! Thank you guys so much for taking the time to explain it to me!
Awesome, glad to hear. Happy to help when you pay with the dog pictures in advance ! haha

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EV 1lt
5 Posts

View attachment 49796
View attachment 49795 View attachment 49798 View attachment 49800
Great vehicle. Did you paint the rims black as an aftermarket upgrade?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Great vehicle. Did you paint the rims black as an aftermarket upgrade?
I did! I did the rims and the chrome details as well as blacked out the bowtie on the back! it was super easy! I'm happy with how it looks and want to wrap the roof black as well! That one won't be as easy lol.. I can take some better pics if you're interested in seeing how it looks!

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EV 1lt
5 Posts
I did! I did the rims and the chrome details as well as blacked out the bowtie on the back! it was super easy! I'm happy with how it looks and want to wrap the roof black as well! That one won't be as easy lol.. I can take some better pics if you're interested in seeing how it looks!
What method did you use to black out the rims? I want to make mine black as well. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What method did you use to black out the rims? I want to make mine black as well. Thanks so much!
Honestly I just use Plasti dip! Didn't take the wheel off or anything just got some painters tape and covered up the important bits and stuffed some plastic bags inside the rims to protect the breaks. It was super easy and removable if I ever want to take it off! I put around 3,000 miles on it since I've applied the plasti dip and it's holding up extremely well too!! Although it's a bit janky, here's a picture of the chrome trim being dipped
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

1 - 20 of 24 Posts