Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2022 Bolt EV
87 Posts
Hi! When charging at your parents house, you may want to check to see if you are charging at 8 amps or 12. The car will default to 8 amps unless you select 12. If the house wiring is good (i.e.: modern) and there are no other loads on the branch you should be fine charging at 12 amps and it will be a little bit faster than the 8 amp default. The 8/12 amp selection is on the car’s charging menu on the center display.

· Registered
2022 Bolt EV
87 Posts
An easy way to check what other outlets are on the circuit branch you’re charging from is to shut off the circuit breaker for that circuit at the main panel and see which outlets or lights aren’t working after that. Also I would check to see if the breaker is rated at 15 or 20 amps. If you have a 15 amp circuit breaker you can charge at 12 amps but you’ll want to make sure there are no other loads on the branch (when a continuous current draw is on the line, like for hours and not just a few minutes, you want to make sure you’re not drawing more than 80% of what the circuit is rated for.) If your branch circuit is rated for 20 amps, you’ll have an additional “safety factor”. I charge at Level 1 at home at 12amps on a dedicated 20 amp branch circuit…. It’s been fine for me as I don’t put too many miles on the car in a single day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts