Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my 2022 Chevy Bolt June 25, 2021. During the purchase process they put the car on their Level3 Charger. When I got into the car with the salesman and turned on the car my display showed 255miles available when charger was finished. The Bolt recalls did not start until around August of 2021 I believe. I have the original software in the car when I bought it. Now my car is part of the recall which I am fine with that.
Last week I received a letter that my car is ready for the advanced diagnostic software package that will remove parking and charging limitations on your 2022 model. This software will automatically limit your vehicle's maximum state of charge to 80% enabling 1) Charging indoors overnight 2) depleting vehicle battery below 70 miles, resulting in greater overall vehicle range 3) parking indoors.
I do not park indoors or charge indoors so that I do not care about that. I live in Northern California. My questions are: 1) If I have this new update installed in my car will I lose range? I currently get a charge of 203-207miles when charged in the cold weather. Warm weather I get a charge of around 227-237 miles. I have run my car down to a level of where it said I had 23miles left once. I wanted to see how low I could go. Question 2) I already can go lower than 70 miles so what is this software really doing for me? Question 3) I do not believe I am currently limited on charge. If this new software goes to 80% does that mean my charge when full will be about 170miles when charged. Question 4) I have an appointment scheduled for Jan 21 2022 to have this software installed and I'm not sure I want to if I am going to lose range. I know my range varies by many factors and kwh hours. SHOULD I OR SHOULD I NOT......

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
2,681 Posts
Yes, it will effectively limit your range. If that's a problem for you, don't get the software update.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I received the software update letter for my 2022 today and I'm not having it done. I already park and charge outside and only charge to 80%. I will wait until a replacement battery is available.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
677 Posts
I had the software installed on Wed. Yes, I'm limited to 80%. But the range at 80% is the same as it was before the software install, about 150 miles. But my use case is living/driving on big hills and lots of heat running. Someone in a less cold location and with less severe terrain will see more range than I do. Even at 100% I wasn't topping 200 miles in this cold weather.

For me, the ability to leave it connected to the EVSE inside my garage overnight is more than enough reason for me to get it. That's not to say it's the right thing for you. Everyone's use case differs, and only you can answer if 80% is sufficient for your needs. Remember too that this software is supposed to also identify any potential issues with your battery, and if it does get you moved up in the replacement queue.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EV 2LT
53 Posts
I also have a 2022 EV, bought only four days before yours. Currently have 11,700 miles on it. I do NOT plan on getting the latest recall software installed.

When I took it in to the dealer for it's first maintenance check at 7500 miles (included in the purchase of the car), the dealer applied the first recall update that limited max charge to 90%. I didn't know that update was even available, and was a little miffed that they did it without telling me ahead of time. Wishing they didn't.

My NORMAL everyday driving in the winter is 30-40 miles a day, and in summer 40-80 miles a day. So NORMALLY I only charge to 80% and never get close to 70 miles remaining. I charge (JuiceBox L2 charger) and park it in the garage, but I use delayed charging so it completes at 8 am each day. I leave it plugged in.

However, if I'm going somewhere and need the range, I'll charge it to 90% (delayed charge) and let it get down to about 20-30 miles if I have to. I've done one 1900 mile road trip and several 500-600 mile trips. I would charge to 95 or 100% for a trip if I could.

It all depends on your assessment of the risk involved. I'm comfortable because I consider the risk of a battery fire on this car to be exceptionally low for reasons discussed to death in other threads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts