Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After trying and failing to get the third key fob that I held onto from my 2020 Bolt EV to program with my 2022 Bolt EUV I have determined that they are not compatible. They operate at different frequencies. The 2017-2021 operate at 315 MHz and the 2022 operate at 433 MHz.

First try was to follow the manual and try to program it. No joy. I am aware that a paired remote may require flashing to unlink it from its original vehicle. Always start with the no cost and simplest options when troubleshooting.

While looking for fob re-flashing services I noted that the stickers on the back of the 2020 remote have a "315M" and the 2022 has a "433M". This prompted me to track down the part numbers and FCC ID numbers, where found out that their frequencies are different. Here is the information that I found.

2022 Bolt:
GM Part # 13535665
FCC ID: HYQ4ES
Frequency: 433 MHz

2017-2021 Bolt:
GM Part # 13529664
FCC ID: HYQ4AA
Frequency: 315 MHz

I would love for someone to prove me wrong so I can find a way to reuse the fob I have even if I need to get it re-flashed to an unpaired state.

· Registered
163 Posts
HEY thanks for asking and posting your great details! You can "re-use" it the hard way, but you won't want to.

I have a third remote fob that I paired to 2 previous Bolt EV's (2017 then 2021). AND I paired the third fob again to my 2022 EUV (partially, I will explain). Before you can re-pair it to another car then you have to get it "unlocked" at least, to be "like new" and ready to pair. I got it unlocked by keys4less.net, total fee + shipping about $24. I got it back in about 3 weeks.

So I tried to pair by the manual procedure, it more or less paired ok and confirmed on the dash display (after 1-2 false starts), but the remote buttons didn't work and the DOOR buttons didn't work (wtf). So what paired? I am GUESSING the RFID in the fob, only when sitting in the pairing port in console, allows the car to START and drive (as when your correct fob battery is dead). Which obviously isn't too useful for remote functions. I only reasoned this out after I then noticed the new EUV little white 433 sticker did not look like the third fob's 315 sticker, as you also noticed.

If I get the third fob manual key cut for the EUV, then I could use the third fob to enter and drive the car in an emergency, but I'd have to unlock the door manually every time I locked it (manually!)

Time to get a new fob, I reckon. There IS a 5% chance that I will just cut a key for emergency use - that has gotta be cheap, right? So I can keep digging this hole deeper. And resolve to then never lose my originals in the first place.

· Registered
2023 EUV Premier Bright Blue
2,685 Posts
They also changed the frequency of the TPMS sensors along with the key fobs.
Much to my chagrin.

I was uncertain about that but hoping the 2021 had already switched to 433 MHz when I put my wheels with snow tires on two days ago. Now they need to come off for new sensors, as of course my relearn tool was of no use. The tires/wheels were last used on our trade repurchased 2021 Bolt.

My confusion may have come from the fact that apparently, Canadian Bolts switched over to 433 MHz at least by 2020, but US Bolts stuck with 315 MHz (or maybe it's 314.9) until the 2022 MY. That was discussed on this forum maybe a year ago. I may have read something pertaining to Canadian Bolts and thought it pertained to all Bolts. I feel like an idiot now.🤪

Anyway, now the Chevy dealer might be switching them out because our new EUV is being towed there today with the "Condition not right to shift" issue. It coincidentally occured yesterday, one day after installing the 315 MHz snow tires/wheels. I'll pay them to do it since they'll have the car anyway.

· Registered
6 Posts
Hey @Village Idiot did you have any more luck with getting a replacement key?

I've been looking into the keys, and there appear to be Camaro ones with the same FCC ID of HYQ4ES for pretty cheap. I've been trying to figure out if they'd be compatible with the 2022+ Bolts but haven't found much on them.

I'm sort of assuming they would have the same remote functionality (lock/unlock/remote start/alarm) with the exception of a trunk key that does nothing.

· Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven’t gotten any additional fobs. The currently available ones are too rich for my blood at this point. I do have an inquiry with a vendor on Aliexpress about some knockoffs that look to have potential. They are selling 5 fobs for about $80. I don’t expect a response until after the new year celebrations are over.

I believe I have come across the Camaro fobs you mentioned. As long as they are the same frequency and have at least the same buttons as our current fobs they might work. I have a friend that is using a fob from a vehicle with remote start for his dodge that doesn’t have remote start. The button for it just doesn’t do anything.

My buddy with an EUV is very interested in getting more fobs since he says his family members are notorious for losing them. So I’m expecting him to go for the Aliexpress ones if we get an encouraging response. I’ll probably pay him for one. I’ll definitely report back on how it works if I get one.

· Registered
6 Posts
Awesome - thanks. I'm probably going to try one of the eBay vendors (they might start carrying the normal 4 button EV/EUV ones soon, per pinging one of them last week) but it'll be good to have some documented way of finding them instead of paying 120+ for fob+key.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts