Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as I’ve posted in a smattering of other threads, my 2019 Bolt Premier was approved for a buyback months ago and after lots of thumb twiddling, facepalming, and overall angst, I have finally been approved by Chevy to swap my ’19 Bolt for a fully loaded Launch Edition 2022 Bolt EUV. Still some final paperwork to process, but as soon as the EUV hits the dealer’s lot from the factory I should be able to complete my buyback 5 months after my buyback journey started.

While I was waiting for my buyback to process, I decided to put in a reservation for a SR+ Model 3, no frills except for the white faux leather interior. The wife and I decided that we’d go for a Model 3 since the EUV was not a swap option when we placed the 3 order, and we test drove a Model 3 and liked it overall despite some shortcomings. I had to delay delivery of the Model 3 at the end of June because my buyback was still not finished, so it’s looking like a probably end of September delivery date.

So assuming I can take delivery of the EUV by the end of this month, I’ll face a decision about whether to keep the EUV or sell/trade it in for the SR+ 3. Of course, a lot will depend on how I like the EUV for the 1-2 months I’ll be driving it around before the 3 is ready for delivery, but I’ve decided to compare the 2 in several categories to help me decide which one to go with.

Cool Factor
So hands down, the 3 wins this category. While the 3’s exterior styling can be polarizing for some, there’s no question it is overall a much sleeker, sporty looking car than the EUV. The EUV’s more about utility, so the 3 really wins this category by default. The 3’s super simple dash with single tablet screen has also been polarizing, but is also very clean looking and very appealing to the wife. The 3’s superior acceleration and more sporty feel also pad to the Tesla’s lead in this category.

Technology
This category is more debatable. The Model 3 has OTA updates, a much better app, and features like dog/camp/sentry mode, overheat protection, streaming shows via Netflix/YouTube (while parked), a boom box mode, games, etc. The EUV has wireless Android Auto/Carplay and theoretically OTA updates and…..that’s about it (self driving touched on later). But AA/Carplay is a big feature that the Model 3 lacks, and to keep a lot of the entertainment features in the 3 you have to fork over $10/month to Tesla. Meanwhile, I very much like AA and having it be wireless is even better. I’m gonna give the edge to the Model 3 even though it lacks AA and a lot of the features it offers require a paid subscription. The standard features plus OTA updates push it over the top

Creature Comforts
The Model 3 and EUV both have a 6-way power driver’s seat (though the 3 also has a power passenger seat). However, the 3 lacks a heated steering wheel and rear heated seats require an extra $300 to activate on the SR+. On the other hand, the EUV comes standard with a heated steering wheel and has heated front and rear seats as well as ventilated front seats. The 3 has a more expansive glass roof compared to the Bolt’s panoramic moonroof, but the Bolt’s roof actually opens and has a cover. I did also find the 3’s door handles annoying FWIW. The EUV reportedly has a nicer ride than the 3, though I will still have to confirm that myself. I give the edge to the EUV in this category for the time being.

Charging
Not too much to talk about here. 3’s charging capability >>>>>>>> the Bolt’s.

Self Driving Technology
I’ll have to wait until I can actually test out the EUV’s Supercruise feature, but from what I’ve read and videos I’ve watched, I think I will prefer Supercruise over Autopilot. Being able to truly drive hands free without nags makes up for the fact it is usable on less roadways. Plus we’ve seen the plethora of “Tesla on Autopilot crashes….” articles over the years. Yes, Tesla offers “Full Self Driving”, but that costs an extra $10k and isn’t anywhere close to actual full self driving. There are lots of reports of Tesla owners regretting forking over $5-10k for a feature that is still basically in beta and can’t be transferred over to new Tesla purchases.

Cost
The EUV is $43.9k sticker, but due to the buyback I will be able to trade my $43.9k ’19 Bolt for the ’22 EUV for $0 out of pocket. The Model 3 I reserved costs $41.7k ($39.5k base price + $1k white interior + $1,200 destination), but the price has increased $500 since I ordered. Premier/Launch Edition EUV’s seem to basically be selling for sticker right now (outside of a $1k Costco rebate), so I think it’s safe to say these cars are more or less even on price. The 3 has higher insurance costs (talking $200 difference for a 6 month policy in my case) and repair costs are also higher (hence the higher insurance premiums). However, the 3 will likely have superior resale value compared to the Bolt. A little too much uncertainty to declare a clear winner, but probably in the end the TCO is probably similar or maybe slightly in favor of the 3 due to resale value.

If I traded in the EUV for a Model 3, I would most likely be taking on an extra $5k in financial burden to complete the swap assuming I can get at least $36k trade value for the EUV, so that’s another consideration to factor. Keeping the Bolt and not trading into a 3 would save me at least $5k up front. It’s also possible both the EUV and 3 could become eligible for federal tax credits down the road if Congress passes a new EV tax credit and makes it retroactive, but who knows if that will actually happen.

Verdict (for now)
So if we’re keeping tabs on the score, it’s a split decision between the EUV and Model 3 SR+ (3-3). Bolt wins on cost, self driving, and creature comforts, while the Model 3 takes cool factor, technology, and charging.
Obviously, once I actually get to driving the EUV around, I will be able to firm up my decision, but for now it’s still up in the air which car I will settle on keeping. After I get some time in the seat of the EUV, I’ll post updates here about my reflections about EUV ownership.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Practicality would put the EUV ahead, don't you agree? The Y would be a better comparison but the price throws it further out of reach.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I would most likely be taking on an extra $5k in financial burden to complete the swap
So, is the Tesla worth $5k more than the EUV to you, seems to be the root question.

For me, it would be a yes. I was looking at about $11k more for a Tesla over the Bolt and that was just too much. $5k would be a no-brainer. If the tax rebate goes through and I can trade up to an M3 for around $7k, I'm probably doing it.

Some additional/unanswered factors/questions:
How often would you need/use the SC network?
How important is the hatchback/space?
Big one: How long do you plan on keeping the car? Longer time leans more to EUV.

·
Registered
314 Posts
So this weekend I was going to post my comparison of the Bolt vs. Mach-E (what I ended up getting to replace my repurchased Bolt). If you like the looks, I think it'll have everything you're looking for plus it'll be cheaper after credits/rebates (Base is $43-7.5) and have more cargo space. I'm loving it so far (after 1000 miles) and the included lane centering is almost semi-autonomous with full hand-free BlueCruise coming out in a couple of months for $600/3 years.

The way I justified it too was that if I wanted to switch to a M3/MY down the road I could if the credits/rebates came back for Tesla.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Some OCD items that might bug the crap out of me if I go Tesla 3/Y are One Pedal Driving; the size of the screen icons; and no Android Auto/Carplay One Pedal Driving is pretty freakin essential for me and the Bolt's implementation is pretty hard to beat. I use Android Auto almost every time I get into the car. My older eyes are no longer forgiving to the small icons on the Tesla screen.

·
Registered
71 Posts
For me the charging capability and abundance of charging stations for the Tesla make it the only choice for me if I were buying now. I like my 2019 Bolt but when the lease is up at the end of 22, the lack of change for the charge rate makes the new Bolt out of the question for me.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Bottom line for us:
Yes, Tesla, if frequent road trips and infrequent local in-and-out errands.
Yes, Bolt, if frequent local errands and few road trips.
This about matches my thinking for the bottom line. The less tangible is that I like the Model 3 a lot more, but it is considerably more expensive. My inclination (which changes daily) is to own a Bolt and a Model 3/Y. I've come this close to buying a Bolt twice in the last couple of months but the deals fell through. At this point though, I have a growing fire anxiety with the Bolt and I'm not even sure my wife would agree to use the car. I may have to just take a 3 - 6 month break from shopping and see how the pack fire problem sorts out. The more I think about Bolt battery fires, the more I want a fix and not a monitor.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV LT
140 Posts
OP - You don't mention the higher seating position in the EUV. It's one of the reasons I moved from the Volt to the Bolt. I was getting too old to continue climbing in and out of a "low to the ground" sedan. Not to mention the better visibility.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Owning both a Model 3 and Bolt I'm basically going to reiterate what Packard V8 stated.

If you do more long distance driving, go with the Tesla.

If you do very few long road trips and want a car for errands and short day trips, get the Bolt EUV. Then rent a car or rely on an ICE when you need to take a long trip.

This is how I use my cars. If I'm driving on the highway for any distance, I take the Model 3. If I'm running around town and close to home, I drive the Bolt.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I have recently driven a MY and M3 and the 1 pedal driving is more or less the same experience as in the Bolt. Main difference was the lack of the paddle on the wheel. I kept reaching for that in the Tesla.

The M3 is more or less excluded for me because of the trunk and the MY is excluded because of price. If they made a Model 3 in a Wagon I would be all over it. Like BMW has / had a 3 Series Wagon.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have recently driven a MY and M3 and the 1 pedal driving is more or less the same experience as in the Bolt. Main difference was the lack of the paddle on the wheel. I kept reaching for that in the Tesla.

The M3 is more or less excluded for me because of the trunk and the MY is excluded because of price. If they made a Model 3 in a Wagon I would be all over it. Like BMW has / had a 3 Series Wagon.
If the standard range Model Y was still an option, that would be my end vehicle no question. But it's gone (except in China) and so not an option.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OP - You don't mention the higher seating position in the EUV. It's one of the reasons I moved from the Volt to the Bolt. I was getting too old to continue climbing in and out of a "low to the ground" sedan. Not to mention the better visibility.
Yeah, the higher seating position is definitely a + for the EUV.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Often goes unmentioned, but that's the most noticeable thing coming out of my '19 Bolt into the EUV Premier. It sits higher--like an SUV. I liked my "19 Bolt EV, but it's really more a subcompact hatchback. The EUV is a bigger, higher car. I had them both next to each other at the dealer. Plus the ride is better in the EUV. It doesn't bounce around over bumps, which I found annoying.

The Special Edition is in the pricey range with the sunroof and the the self drive mode. I have the regular Premier at $38.5 by default--it had just arrived at the dealer with my buyback papers.
Quite happy with it. The charger is a bit finicky with the 120 and 240V connectors, but it's a learning process.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I think Autopilot is way ahead of the competition... and it's not even close! Supercruise is useless for someone like me who doesn't take long trips using the highway. In fact, I avoid the highway because it is basically an 80 MPH landfill where I am: so much debris you can just about guarantee damage from something like bungee cords, nuts and bolts, 2x4's, floor mats, etc. I use Autopilot like cruise control on back roads, single lane state roads, and even town roads that have marked lanes. You just rest your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and it never bugs you. And Tesla is starting to use the interior camera in the 3/Y to judge driver attention so I suspect it won't be long until you won't need your hands on the wheel.

As for the Mach-E, the Ford lane keeping is downright dangerous. It just gives up on turns it deems too sharp (but are easily navigated by the Teslas) and the Mach-E just drives off the road or into a ditch if you don't intervene. This was one of the scariest videos I've ever seen!

Dave did the same thing in the Model Y, same speeds: not a single problem or disengage:

Mike

·
Registered
265 Posts
If you do a lot of long distance driving, let me make a different suggestion. Try to get a low mileage used long range Model 3. I don't think either the Bolt or Model 3 SR+ are suitable for a lot of long distance driving. The extra mileage of the long range Model 3 makes all the difference.

·
Registered
209 Posts
So as I’ve posted in a smattering of other threads, my 2019 Bolt Premier was approved for a buyback months ago and after lots of thumb twiddling, facepalming, and overall angst, I have finally been approved by Chevy to swap my ’19 Bolt for a fully loaded Launch Edition 2022 Bolt EUV. Still some final paperwork to process, but as soon as the EUV hits the dealer’s lot from the factory I should be able to complete my buyback 5 months after my buyback journey started.

While I was waiting for my buyback to process, I decided to put in a reservation for a SR+ Model 3, no frills except for the white faux leather interior. The wife and I decided that we’d go for a Model 3 since the EUV was not a swap option when we placed the 3 order, and we test drove a Model 3 and liked it overall despite some shortcomings. I had to delay delivery of the Model 3 at the end of June because my buyback was still not finished, so it’s looking like a probably end of September delivery date.

So assuming I can take delivery of the EUV by the end of this month, I’ll face a decision about whether to keep the EUV or sell/trade it in for the SR+ 3. Of course, a lot will depend on how I like the EUV for the 1-2 months I’ll be driving it around before the 3 is ready for delivery, but I’ve decided to compare the 2 in several categories to help me decide which one to go with.

Cool Factor
So hands down, the 3 wins this category. While the 3’s exterior styling can be polarizing for some, there’s no question it is overall a much sleeker, sporty looking car than the EUV. The EUV’s more about utility, so the 3 really wins this category by default. The 3’s super simple dash with single tablet screen has also been polarizing, but is also very clean looking and very appealing to the wife. The 3’s superior acceleration and more sporty feel also pad to the Tesla’s lead in this category.

Technology
This category is more debatable. The Model 3 has OTA updates, a much better app, and features like dog/camp/sentry mode, overheat protection, streaming shows via Netflix/YouTube (while parked), a boom box mode, games, etc. The EUV has wireless Android Auto/Carplay and theoretically OTA updates and…..that’s about it (self driving touched on later). But AA/Carplay is a big feature that the Model 3 lacks, and to keep a lot of the entertainment features in the 3 you have to fork over $10/month to Tesla. Meanwhile, I very much like AA and having it be wireless is even better. I’m gonna give the edge to the Model 3 even though it lacks AA and a lot of the features it offers require a paid subscription. The standard features plus OTA updates push it over the top

Creature Comforts
The Model 3 and EUV both have a 6-way power driver’s seat (though the 3 also has a power passenger seat). However, the 3 lacks a heated steering wheel and rear heated seats require an extra $300 to activate on the SR+. On the other hand, the EUV comes standard with a heated steering wheel and has heated front and rear seats as well as ventilated front seats. The 3 has a more expansive glass roof compared to the Bolt’s panoramic moonroof, but the Bolt’s roof actually opens and has a cover. I did also find the 3’s door handles annoying FWIW. The EUV reportedly has a nicer ride than the 3, though I will still have to confirm that myself. I give the edge to the EUV in this category for the time being.

Charging
Not too much to talk about here. 3’s charging capability >>>>>>>> the Bolt’s.

Self Driving Technology
I’ll have to wait until I can actually test out the EUV’s Supercruise feature, but from what I’ve read and videos I’ve watched, I think I will prefer Supercruise over Autopilot. Being able to truly drive hands free without nags makes up for the fact it is usable on less roadways. Plus we’ve seen the plethora of “Tesla on Autopilot crashes….” articles over the years. Yes, Tesla offers “Full Self Driving”, but that costs an extra $10k and isn’t anywhere close to actual full self driving. There are lots of reports of Tesla owners regretting forking over $5-10k for a feature that is still basically in beta and can’t be transferred over to new Tesla purchases.

Cost
The EUV is $43.9k sticker, but due to the buyback I will be able to trade my $43.9k ’19 Bolt for the ’22 EUV for $0 out of pocket. The Model 3 I reserved costs $41.7k ($39.5k base price + $1k white interior + $1,200 destination), but the price has increased $500 since I ordered. Premier/Launch Edition EUV’s seem to basically be selling for sticker right now (outside of a $1k Costco rebate), so I think it’s safe to say these cars are more or less even on price. The 3 has higher insurance costs (talking $200 difference for a 6 month policy in my case) and repair costs are also higher (hence the higher insurance premiums). However, the 3 will likely have superior resale value compared to the Bolt. A little too much uncertainty to declare a clear winner, but probably in the end the TCO is probably similar or maybe slightly in favor of the 3 due to resale value.

If I traded in the EUV for a Model 3, I would most likely be taking on an extra $5k in financial burden to complete the swap assuming I can get at least $36k trade value for the EUV, so that’s another consideration to factor. Keeping the Bolt and not trading into a 3 would save me at least $5k up front. It’s also possible both the EUV and 3 could become eligible for federal tax credits down the road if Congress passes a new EV tax credit and makes it retroactive, but who knows if that will actually happen.

Verdict (for now)
So if we’re keeping tabs on the score, it’s a split decision between the EUV and Model 3 SR+ (3-3). Bolt wins on cost, self driving, and creature comforts, while the Model 3 takes cool factor, technology, and charging.
Obviously, once I actually get to driving the EUV around, I will be able to firm up my decision, but for now it’s still up in the air which car I will settle on keeping. After I get some time in the seat of the EUV, I’ll post updates here about my reflections about EUV ownership.
I have come to the sad much sadness that Bolt charging for travel is CRAP and Tesla smokes it for charging.... I can find Superchargers all day everywhere.... DCFC for bolt.... very very sparse indeed..... I wish now I had test drove a Tesla and looked a little harder at it..... I am so limited on my travel with my much loved Bolt.
Get the Tesla if you plan to travel, if not get the bolt and commute with it.
Go bolt Nation!!

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you do a lot of long distance driving, let me make a different suggestion. Try to get a low mileage used long range Model 3. I don't think either the Bolt or Model 3 SR+ are suitable for a lot of long distance driving. The extra mileage of the long range Model 3 makes all the difference.
I think I've fast charged my current Bolt once. And it wasn't really even necessary. The Honda Pilot is our road trip car. The Bolt serves as my commuter/around town car. So fast charging isn't really a huge deal.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts