Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I think I've fast charged my current Bolt once. And it wasn't really even necessary. The Honda Pilot is our road trip car. The Bolt serves as my commuter/around town car. So fast charging isn't really a huge deal.
For true. Our 2017 Bolt was the first one here in town and wasn't equipped with DCFC. There are some here who claim a Bolt without DCFC isn't worth having, but for four years we've loved it for local use and it's never needed charged away from home.

Here in the intermountain west, the distances are so vast and six months of the year the temperatures are so low, road trips using DCFC might not be possible, certainly impractical. If one were determined to road trip through here in an EV today, the Tesla long-range models would be the only choice. I just saw 8 superchargers, available 24/7, up to 150kW, in Lima, MT; about the ass-end of nowhere.

jack vines

·
Registered
275 Posts
The nice thing too about the Bolt is you can just go to the dealer and pick the car up, almost sight unseen. I literally took delivery on my 2021 EV without first inspecting the car. You [still] can't do that with a Tesla. Even a M3. You need to walk in with a checklist and make the sure the car is ready for prime time. How busy the local service center is is also a factor. For me personally, the higher ground clearance of the Bolt, the rational user interface (nice balance between touch screen and physical controls), the greater amount of regen (I've driven them all, and although the Bolt cheats, it has the best one pedal driving experience, like regen to 0MPH), and the great reliability of the Bolt all add up to make the car more compelling than the 3.

But if you need fast charging on trips all bets are off. The 3 of course wins hands down.

Reactions: calibolt23

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
The nice thing too about the Bolt is you can just go to the dealer and pick the car up, almost sight unseen. I literally took delivery on my 2021 EV without first inspecting the car. You [still] can't do that with a Tesla. Even a M3.
My 2021 Model 3 buying experience was orders of magnitude easier than buying my 2019 Bolt. Once I decided to trade my Bolt for the Model 3 in late March, I called the local Tesla service center. They had at least a dozen Model 3's in inventory so it was easy to pick the one I wanted. I picked one from their inventory and asked when I could get it. The salesman responded today (on a Saturday)! I went there (about an hour from my house) and picked it up at 7:30pm the same day. Dropped off the Bolt, the guy transferred the plate, told me how to set up the phone as a key, gave me a packet, and off I drove. Was there maybe 20 minutes total and most of that was me inspecting the car before accepting delivery. When I got there, I knew right away which car was mine because it had a piece of paper on the dash with my name on it. Beats the 3+ hours at the Chevy dealer sitting around while they prep/wash the car (poorly), run credit checks, try to sell you extended warranties, etc.

Once I told the Tesla salesman I wanted to go through with the trade/sale, he simply sent me a few requests during the day... didn't even interrupt my day more than a few minutes here and there. Things like submitting my insurance card, registration for the Bolt, driver's license, and so on, all through the Tesla app. So when I got there, everything was already done: I took my time inspecting the car and just signed off that I accept it via the app. So much easier than the **** that dealers put you through.

Mike

·
Registered
275 Posts
My 2021 Model 3 buying experience was orders of magnitude easier than buying my 2019 Bolt.
Glad you had such a positive experience! Yes, if initial build quality was not such an issue, Tesla really does have delivery dialed in. However, after listening to countless stories over the years from owners reporting issues with their cars, it strikes me as reckless to take delivery of any Tesla sans a full inspection. Which alone can sometimes be a hassle. I am recalling what finally pushed me to cancel my Model Y order was a new owner posting pics of key bolts missing on the drivers seat mount of their Model Y.

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt and all Tesla models owned by me and my family
641 Posts
My girlfriend has put orders on Tesla 3 long range..... And her 2020 Premier is on Sale...
7500 miles... there is nothing to compare EUV vs Tesla 3....it win in all aspects....yes it will be more expensive ....but on end of day it is a EV to do all... not just a grocery getter like Bolt EV or EUV.
Good luck .

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
My girlfriend has put orders on Tesla 3 long range..... And her 2020 Premier is on Sale...
So... uh... why didn't she buy the 3 to begin with?
Also, look into doing a trade-in for the Bolt. Nebraska is a state that gives credit towards the sales tax for trade-ins.

·
Registered
641 Posts
So... uh... why didn't she buy the 3 to begin with?
Also, look into doing a trade-in for the Bolt. Nebraska is a state that gives credit towards the sales tax for trade-ins.
Before she get to know me ...she bought 2020 Bolt Premier.....and if sell it private there is no credit for difference on purchase of Tesla....It is going to be clean purchase without trading anything to Tesla.

·
Registered
205 Posts
7500 miles... there is nothing to compare EUV vs Tesla 3....it win in all aspects....yes it will be more expensive ....but on end of day it is a EV to do all... not just a grocery getter like Bolt EV or EUV.
Good luck .
The OP has no intention of supercharging. Do you think the Tesla is still worth the $ difference if you never intend to leave town with it?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a 3 performance, best **** car ever made when everything is factored in. Price, performance, autopilot, technology, charging.
I have 3 bolts, they are super cheap due to discounts, and fun plus easy to drive and park. Also have a rear hatch, so some large items are easier to load than a 3 (but a Y would have way more then the Bolt and 3 combined).
The frunk is also awesome and the 3 handles amazing, why better than the Bolt. The bolt also has bad torque steer and can’t go over 92mph, a problem in Florida. Also, testa destination chargers and Superchargers are everywhere and cheaper/better than Bolts.
I don’t think Supercruise is even better than Autopilot, and Tesla actually pushes regular updates. GM will also make you pay$25-$35/month for super cruise after 2 or 3 years. There is no subscription needed for Tesla although there is an option for $10/month for enhanced infotainment & satellite map overlay

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I have a 3 performance, best **** car ever made when everything is factored in. Price, performance, autopilot, technology, charging.
I have 3 bolts, they are super cheap due to discounts, and fun plus easy to drive and park. Also have a rear hatch, so some large items are easier to load than a 3 (but a Y would have way more then the Bolt and 3 combined).
The frunk is also awesome and the 3 handles amazing, why better than the Bolt. The bolt also has bad torque steer and can’t go over 92mph, a problem in Florida. Also, testa destination chargers and Superchargers are everywhere and cheaper/better than Bolts.
I don’t think Supercruise is even better than Autopilot, and Tesla actually pushes regular updates. GM will also make you pay$25-$35/month for super cruise after 2 or 3 years. There is no subscription needed for Tesla although there is an option for $10/month for enhanced infotainment & satellite map overlay
Yeah, I forgot to mention cargo capacity in my original post. The Bolt can fit bigger things in the hatch, but the 3 can fit longer things (like golf clubs) fairly easily without having to fold down the rear seats. And the 3 also has a frunk, which while small, has its uses. I would probably rate the cargo category a tie.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Yeah, I forgot to mention cargo capacity in my original post. The Bolt can fit bigger things in the hatch, but the 3 can fit longer things (like golf clubs) fairly easily without having to fold down the rear seats. And the 3 also has a frunk, which while small, has its uses. I would probably rate the cargo category a tie.
One of the things I like about the Bolt is the cargo space. No doubt this reflects the kind of stuff I want to haul.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
sell it private there is no credit for difference on purchase of Tesla....It is going to be clean purchase without trading anything to Tesla.
No, that's not what I mean. Not sure if it varies by state, but in AZ if I trade a car in for $25k in value on a $40k car, I only pay the sales tax on $15k, not $40k. So it could make a trade-in worth more or at least be so close that it's worth saving the hassle of selling.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Just got informed that my buyback/swap has moved to the final phase (mailing out paperwork and checks to the dealer and arranging a drop off of current Bolt/pick up date of new EUV). Only problem now is the EUV is still stuck at the factory with a missing microprocessor. It only makes sense that my buyback which has been bogged down by delay after delay ends up being delayed again, not because of the buyback team but because the car I'm swapping into isn't ready. Lol

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Welp, while I wait for the EUV to arrive from the factory, I just got the notice that the Model 3 I ordered will be ready for delivery by the end of the month. May be very likely I'd have to take delivery of the Model 3 BEFORE my buyback is complete. Now I have to figure out whether to delay delivery of the 3 again, or just take delivery and either take delivery of the EUV and immediately sell it, or take delivery of the 3, then eventually take delivery of the EUV, then hawk the Model 3 and keep the EUV. Hmmmmmmmm

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
So I did a search for Launch Edition EUVs either available or in-transit in the entire country, and chevy.com lists 57 available/in-transit. So I guess they are trickling out of the factory. Hopefully the one with my name on it makes it off the factory lot soon.

·
Registered
641 Posts
So I did a search for Launch Edition EUVs either available or in-transit in the entire country, and chevy.com lists 57 available/in-transit. So I guess they are trickling out of the factory. Hopefully the one with my name on it makes it off the factory lot soon.
There are 2 in my city Nebraska with Super Cruise EUV.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
There are 2 in my city Nebraska with Super Cruise EUV.
There is a Premier w/Supercuirse enroute to the same dealer that arranged their Launch Edition order for me. ****, if possible, I'd just swap to that one to speed up the process.

21 - 40 of 103 Posts