Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Chevrolet Bolt EUV Premier (Launch Edition w/ Super Cruise)
22 Posts
Personal opinion, so take with a grain of salt.
I had the opportunity to drive a Tesla S with Auto Pilot a couple of years ago. I thought it was great, game-changer even, especially in stop and go traffic.
However, after picking up my Launch Edition this past weekend, I'd give the nod to Super Cruise, and this is due to the price (including rebates, dealer cashbacks, etc).
I was able to get the Launch Edition w/ Super Cruise for around $37K.

It drives the same, if not better (completely hands off) and safer (you need to actually look ahead towards the road vs "sleeping" in AutoPilot lol) than Tesla's AutoPilot.
Small, not deal-breakers, are the manual lane change in Super Cruise, and not being able to use it in city roads (only in the LiDar mapped freeways/highways).

·
Registered
928 Posts
Saying you like the current year's Super Cruise over 2 year old Auto Pilot is like saying you prefer the newest Samsung Galaxy over an iPhone 4. Not saying Super Cruise is bad but it does not the things that FSD. It doesn't even do the things that the current Auto Pilot does.

Here is a review of the latest beta of FSD.

How To Use Super Cruise On The Chevy Bolt EUV (gmauthority.com)

To emphasize this point still further, here are the things that Super Cruise does not do, as fitted to the Bolt EUV:
  • It does not prevent crashes or warn of possible crashes.
  • It does not steer to avoid stopped or slow-moving vehicles, cross-traffic, construction barriers, cones, motorcycles, children, pedestrians or other objects in the road.
  • It does not steer in response to vehicles or objects next to your vehicle, including other vehicles attempting to enter your lane.
  • It does not respond to traffic lights, stop signs or other traffic control devices.
  • It does not respond to crossing or oncoming traffic.
  • It does not make turns or change lanes.
  • It does not steer to merge onto or to exit highways.
  • It does not steer to avoid, or steer through, construction zones.
  • It does not function on city streets or in city driving conditions.
To the point though, the only product on the road in a passenger non commercial vehicle that does any of the above is Tesla's FSD.

That said, if I bought an EUV I would want it to have Super Cruise. Even thought there are limited roads where I live that I could use it.

Welcome to the forum, sorry if I come off rude. ;)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Saying you like the current year's Super Cruise over 2 year old Auto Pilot is like saying you prefer the newest Samsung Galaxy over an iPhone 4. Not saying Super Cruise is bad but it does not the things that FSD. It doesn't even do the things that the current Auto Pilot does.

To emphasize this point still further, here are the things that Super Cruise does not do, as fitted to the Bolt EUV:
  • It does not steer to avoid stopped or slow-moving vehicles, cross-traffic, construction barriers, cones, motorcycles, children, pedestrians or other objects in the road.
  • It does not steer in response to vehicles or objects next to your vehicle, including other vehicles attempting to enter your lane.
  • It does not respond to traffic lights, stop signs or other traffic control devices.
To the point though, the only product on the road in a passenger non commercial vehicle that does any of the above is Tesla's FSD.

That said, if I bought an EUV I would want it to have Super Cruise. Even thought there are limited roads where I live that I could use it.

Well, you know in all fairness, auto pilot isn’t stellar at those yet either. IMO😅

·
Registered
2 Posts
One other thing I like about my EUV is the wireless phone charging - my phone gets charged while I'm driving, without having to fool with USB cords. Of course, it doesn't work with all phones - my wife's phone still has to be plugged in to charge it.

·
Registered
2022 Chevrolet Bolt EUV Premier (Launch Edition w/ Super Cruise)
22 Posts
One other thing I like about my EUV is the wireless phone charging - my phone gets charged while I'm driving, without having to fool with USB cords. Of course, it doesn't work with all phones - my wife's phone still has to be plugged in to charge it.
It's actually a really minor gripe for me, that there is no way to turn off wireless charging. Sometimes I want to plug in directly for faster charging, and since that area is the best place to put my phone (especially when the cup holders have coffee or other drinks occupying them), the wireless charger is still ON. Phone gets really hot from the wired charging, as well as wireless charging.

No worries mate.
I mean I would love a Tesla, but for the price difference, and the Super Cruise working as intended for my commute (stop and go traffic, and long distance freeway driving), I would currently rather drive the EUV until a working, safe self-driving car is available.
I watched this one, and I know it's beta, but there were a few close calls there:

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt and all Tesla models owned by me and my family
641 Posts
In my experience having all the toys on Tesla ....Super Cruise is good alternative....but EUV is just not the EV for long journey and there is very little to enjoy....but if someone needs it ...more power to them.... will i order again any EV with nannies to drive for me....no I have grown to use car the way is meant to be.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Respectfully, SuperCruise does indeed work to mitigate the effect of crashes (if not avoid them entirely), as well as warn of possible crashes - both with vehicles and pedestrians. Additionally, mine has yet to have an issue with a construction zone (of which there are two on my daily commute to and from work).

I've driven a 3 with FSD Beta on city streets and, while it does an ok job, it doesn't inspire a level of confidence which would encourage me to use it.

Finally, the most important word in your post is "beta". It's not fully baked yet and, as such, has disclaimers in place that it cannot be entirely relied upon under all conditions. While SuperCruise may have some limitations as you outlined above, I have a higher level of confidence that it will do what it's supposed to in the areas where it does function.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
So I'm taking delivery of the Model 3 next Thursday. Dealer still has no idea when the EUV is coming in. I think it's likely I'm going to end up keeping the 3 and selling off the EUV (unless something stupid happens and I get a stupid offer for the 3). The wife really wants the Tesla, and that pretty much trumps everything else as far as decision factors.

If anyone is interested in taking the EUV off my hands for $40k (plus I'll transfer the $500 EVgo credit if there's a way to do that) and you're in the central MD area, let me know. Dealers seem to not be discounting the EUV (and especially a Launch Edition) at all right now unless you qualify for a conditional rebate, and are even marking them up past MSRP. I have to think it'll hit the dealership sometime in August, so it should be ready to sell by next month.

·
Registered
209 Posts

Points well taken... but looking at "Bang per buck" I think Super Cruise is the winner. Tesla wins in the numbers game, more chargers , faster chargers, more vehicles on the road, etc.
If I were going to "Travel" more with my Bolt this stuff would be great, or if I lived in a congested, high traffic area (which I don't).
I still like the Bolt for all the great features at 25,000 (with rebates, incentives... 2021 LT) it is hard to justify the massive cost difference.
I do feel The incentive program surely needs revamped.... Tesla, GM and others seem to be "penalized" because they sold more cars faster.... really? They should get more incentives not less.
Go Bolt Nation!!

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Oh snap, it looks like my Launch Edition EUV has finally shipped from the factory! Its VIN is listed as "in-transit" according to Chevy.com. This throws a curveball into my plans of taking delivery of the Model 3. I was assuming there was no way the EUV would arrive prior to the 3 being ready for delivery. Now I need to step back and figure out if I'm really gonna keep pick up the Tesla or just pass and take the EUV.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
So I did a search for Launch Edition EUVs either available or in-transit in the entire country, and chevy.com lists 57 available/in-transit. So I guess they are trickling out of the factory. Hopefully the one with my name on it makes it off the factory lot soon.
Wow, huge jump in Launch Edition numbers. They pretty much doubled overnight! Guess they finally solved the microprocessor shortage. Went from 57 nationwide to 136.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Oh snap, it looks like my Launch Edition EUV has finally shipped from the factory! Its VIN is listed as "in-transit" according to Chevy.com. This throws a curveball into my plans of taking delivery of the Model 3. I was assuming there was no way the EUV would arrive prior to the 3 being ready for delivery. Now I need to step back and figure out if I'm really gonna keep pick up the Tesla or just pass and take the EUV.
If you really want the 3, ask GM/Chevy for a "Straight Settlement" and take the cash.

·
Registered
66 Posts

Is Tesla FSD hands free?

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
If you really want the 3, ask GM/Chevy for a "Straight Settlement" and take the cash.
I don't want it that bad. Plus that would probably set my timeline back another 1-2 months and after waiting 5 months screw that. I guess it's a race to see which arrives first: the EUV or the Model 3!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Is Tesla FSD hands free?
Not in the public release as of today. Not even sure if the V9 Beta is, but I know they are working on using the same infrared camera based, eyes on the road, system in Supercruise and others so eventually the answer is yes. They have the hardware since maybe 2017.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't want it that bad. Plus that would probably set my timeline back another 1-2 months and after waiting 5 months screw that. I guess it's a race to see which arrives first: the EUV or the Model 3!
I think once you are approved for a "buyback" you can do either. From my experience, they gave me a straight settlement but I wanted swap. All i needed to do was get a VIN and they will process the swap. I'm thinking they could switch your swap to a straight settlement pretty quickly....certainly not 1-2 months...maybe ask?

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I think once you are approved for a "buyback" you can do either. From my experience, they gave me a straight settlement but I wanted swap. All i needed to do was get a VIN and they will process the swap. I'm thinking they could switch your swap to a straight settlement pretty quickly....certainly not 1-2 months...maybe ask?
I already went down the straight repurchase route and their offer would have left me owing money. The swap is a MUCH better deal for me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I already went down the straight repurchase route and their offer would have left me owing money. The swap is a MUCH better deal for me.
Ahh..ok. So if you want the 3 and dont wanna keep 2 cars, your option is to sell the EUV as new before you take delivery or used after you take delivery?

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Ugh, nevermind, it's still stuck in "microprocessor" hold. Showing up on the Chevy website apparently doesn't mean anything. Guess the Model 3 is back on!

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Ahh..ok. So if you want the 3 and dont wanna keep 2 cars, your option is to sell the EUV as new before you take delivery or used after you take delivery?
Sell it as used right after delivery. The only miles I ever put on it may be driving it from the dealership to a Carmax (for a trade-in quote) enroute to my home, and then hopefully to the bank to seal the deal with a private sale. That or back to the Carmax. Lol

41 - 60 of 103 Posts