Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Sell it as used right after delivery. The only miles I ever put on it may be driving it from the dealership to a Carmax (for a trade-in quote) enroute to my home, and then hopefully to the bank to seal the deal with a private sale. That or back to the Carmax. Lol
You should be able to cancel the order with the dealer. Dealer would be ecstatic having a new EUV on the lot to sell.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
You should be able to cancel the order with the dealer. Dealer would be ecstatic having a new EUV on the lot to sell.
Can't cancel as I need to take delivery to complete the buyback. I did tell the dealer if he's interested in taking it in for their used inventory, to give me a good offer. If they do give me a good offer, I may never actually drive the EUV.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I think I've fast charged my current Bolt once. And it wasn't really even necessary. The Honda Pilot is our road trip car. The Bolt serves as my commuter/around town car. So fast charging isn't really a huge deal.
yes... my travel car is a 2008 Mercury Sable with 210,000.... a great car that runs flawlessly still. I just got my Electric Bill for July... it was only 18$ more than last years bill... I love my bolt!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ugh, nevermind, it's still stuck in "microprocessor" hold. Showing up on the Chevy website apparently doesn't mean anything. Guess the Model 3 is back on!
That's exactly what I found out from my dealer's rep. "In Transit" means it's left the factory. However, it went as far as a staging lot where it will sit until parts become available. I wasn't certain ordered vehicles would take precedence over already-built units for dealer stock with respect to order of fulfillment, so I changed color and pulled the trigger. And, am I glad I did - there's not one available equipped the way I want in either of the three colors I was looking at within 1500 miles.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
That's exactly what I found out from my dealer's rep. "In Transit" means it's left the factory. However, it went as far as a staging lot where it will sit until parts become available. I wasn't certain ordered vehicles would take precedence over already-built units for dealer stock with respect to order of fulfillment, so I changed color and pulled the trigger. And, am I glad I did - there's not one available equipped the way I want in either of the three colors I was looking at within 1500 miles.
Sorta curious what caused it to pop up on the Chevy and dealer's website. From what the dealer told me, it's been in this parts hold for over a month, but only just showed up on the websites yesterday.
There are now 303 Launch Edition EUVs showing up on Chevy.com (was 57 to start the week), so something is happening at the factory.

·
Registered
341 Posts
So as I’ve posted in a smattering of other threads, my 2019 Bolt Premier was approved for a buyback months ago and after lots of thumb twiddling, facepalming, and overall angst, I have finally been approved by Chevy to swap my ’19 Bolt for a fully loaded Launch Edition 2022 Bolt EUV. Still some final paperwork to process, but as soon as the EUV hits the dealer’s lot from the factory I should be able to complete my buyback 5 months after my buyback journey started.

While I was waiting for my buyback to process, I decided to put in a reservation for a SR+ Model 3, no frills except for the white faux leather interior. The wife and I decided that we’d go for a Model 3 since the EUV was not a swap option when we placed the 3 order, and we test drove a Model 3 and liked it overall despite some shortcomings. I had to delay delivery of the Model 3 at the end of June because my buyback was still not finished, so it’s looking like a probably end of September delivery date.

So assuming I can take delivery of the EUV by the end of this month, I’ll face a decision about whether to keep the EUV or sell/trade it in for the SR+ 3. Of course, a lot will depend on how I like the EUV for the 1-2 months I’ll be driving it around before the 3 is ready for delivery, but I’ve decided to compare the 2 in several categories to help me decide which one to go with.

Cool Factor
So hands down, the 3 wins this category. While the 3’s exterior styling can be polarizing for some, there’s no question it is overall a much sleeker, sporty looking car than the EUV. The EUV’s more about utility, so the 3 really wins this category by default. The 3’s super simple dash with single tablet screen has also been polarizing, but is also very clean looking and very appealing to the wife. The 3’s superior acceleration and more sporty feel also pad to the Tesla’s lead in this category.

Technology
This category is more debatable. The Model 3 has OTA updates, a much better app, and features like dog/camp/sentry mode, overheat protection, streaming shows via Netflix/YouTube (while parked), a boom box mode, games, etc. The EUV has wireless Android Auto/Carplay and theoretically OTA updates and…..that’s about it (self driving touched on later). But AA/Carplay is a big feature that the Model 3 lacks, and to keep a lot of the entertainment features in the 3 you have to fork over $10/month to Tesla. Meanwhile, I very much like AA and having it be wireless is even better. I’m gonna give the edge to the Model 3 even though it lacks AA and a lot of the features it offers require a paid subscription. The standard features plus OTA updates push it over the top

Creature Comforts
The Model 3 and EUV both have a 6-way power driver’s seat (though the 3 also has a power passenger seat). However, the 3 lacks a heated steering wheel and rear heated seats require an extra $300 to activate on the SR+. On the other hand, the EUV comes standard with a heated steering wheel and has heated front and rear seats as well as ventilated front seats. The 3 has a more expansive glass roof compared to the Bolt’s panoramic moonroof, but the Bolt’s roof actually opens and has a cover. I did also find the 3’s door handles annoying FWIW. The EUV reportedly has a nicer ride than the 3, though I will still have to confirm that myself. I give the edge to the EUV in this category for the time being.

Charging
Not too much to talk about here. 3’s charging capability >>>>>>>> the Bolt’s.

Self Driving Technology
I’ll have to wait until I can actually test out the EUV’s Supercruise feature, but from what I’ve read and videos I’ve watched, I think I will prefer Supercruise over Autopilot. Being able to truly drive hands free without nags makes up for the fact it is usable on less roadways. Plus we’ve seen the plethora of “Tesla on Autopilot crashes….” articles over the years. Yes, Tesla offers “Full Self Driving”, but that costs an extra $10k and isn’t anywhere close to actual full self driving. There are lots of reports of Tesla owners regretting forking over $5-10k for a feature that is still basically in beta and can’t be transferred over to new Tesla purchases.

Cost
The EUV is $43.9k sticker, but due to the buyback I will be able to trade my $43.9k ’19 Bolt for the ’22 EUV for $0 out of pocket. The Model 3 I reserved costs $41.7k ($39.5k base price + $1k white interior + $1,200 destination), but the price has increased $500 since I ordered. Premier/Launch Edition EUV’s seem to basically be selling for sticker right now (outside of a $1k Costco rebate), so I think it’s safe to say these cars are more or less even on price. The 3 has higher insurance costs (talking $200 difference for a 6 month policy in my case) and repair costs are also higher (hence the higher insurance premiums). However, the 3 will likely have superior resale value compared to the Bolt. A little too much uncertainty to declare a clear winner, but probably in the end the TCO is probably similar or maybe slightly in favor of the 3 due to resale value.

If I traded in the EUV for a Model 3, I would most likely be taking on an extra $5k in financial burden to complete the swap assuming I can get at least $36k trade value for the EUV, so that’s another consideration to factor. Keeping the Bolt and not trading into a 3 would save me at least $5k up front. It’s also possible both the EUV and 3 could become eligible for federal tax credits down the road if Congress passes a new EV tax credit and makes it retroactive, but who knows if that will actually happen.

Verdict (for now)
So if we’re keeping tabs on the score, it’s a split decision between the EUV and Model 3 SR+ (3-3). Bolt wins on cost, self driving, and creature comforts, while the Model 3 takes cool factor, technology, and charging.
Obviously, once I actually get to driving the EUV around, I will be able to firm up my decision, but for now it’s still up in the air which car I will settle on keeping. After I get some time in the seat of the EUV, I’ll post updates here about my reflections about EUV ownership.
An even swap of a '19 Bolt (Premier, I guess) for a '22 EUV Premier special edition sounds like too good a deal to pass up. I did not get as good a deal on a '19 Bolt buyback for a separate EUV Premier purchase just arrived at the dealer. An earlier swap offer was only for '21s. You go with Tesla only if you want a ritzy sports sedan and drive a lot of highway miles with long trips; but you also get a brand name with limited distribution that may not last when the EV market gets consumed by auto giants like GM, Ford, Toyota, etc.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I don't see much need for any of this except for long and straight highway travel, in which normal cruise control works fine. You get into back roads with traffic and turns, anything more auto looks dicey.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So I’m in the same boat and I finally just made up my mind,

couple weeks ago I put a deposit down on a bolt EUV without SC,I always had the itch to check out a Tesla 3 and see what it’s all about. So last night I went to check a used 2020 SR+ with 15k kms on it, everything was amazing but it was used…bumper to bumper warranty ends at 80k, I live 15 hours away from the nearest service centre and there is 2 mobile techs but there was an issue with the M3 passenger side window causing the inability to open the door or else the glass would smash out.

So I was scheduled to pick the m3 up tomorrow but really thought, it’s be a better piece of mind going with the bolt and having a dealer 2 min away, better piece of mind for extended warranty. (Tesla doesn’t have extended and I would have to go 3rd party iffy)Lower payment on the bolt, and the free home charger install.

so I’m going to go with the bolt, I drive a bunch, lots of wear and tear in vehicle, the bolt fits more of my needs, and the m3 was mostly wants.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
An even swap of a '19 Bolt (Premier, I guess) for a '22 EUV Premier special edition sounds like too good a deal to pass up. I did not get as good a deal on a '19 Bolt buyback for a separate EUV Premier purchase just arrived at the dealer. An earlier swap offer was only for '21s. You go with Tesla only if you want a ritzy sports sedan and drive a lot of highway miles with long trips; but you also get a brand name with limited distribution that may not last when the EV market gets consumed by auto giants like GM, Ford, Toyota, etc.
One reason for going for the Tesla is future resale value. I am pretty sure the Tesla will have much better resale compared to an EUV in 2-3 years. The battery fiasco is definitely not helping the Bolt, that's for sure.

·
Registered
341 Posts
One reason for going for the Tesla is future resale value. I am pretty sure the Tesla will have much better resale compared to an EUV in 2-3 years. The battery fiasco is definitely not helping the Bolt, that's for sure.
GM is more concerned about Ford than Tesla. Tesla needs to partner with a major carmaker to increase distribution and be more price competitive for volume. GM will be OK with the Bolt as long as there are no fires in '20-'22+ models. Hyundai had the same problem, and they're a very good company.

·
Registered
189 Posts
For true. Our 2017 Bolt was the first one here in town and wasn't equipped with DCFC. There are some here who claim a Bolt without DCFC isn't worth having, but for four years we've loved it for local use and it's never needed charged away from home.

Here in the intermountain west, the distances are so vast and six months of the year the temperatures are so low, road trips using DCFC might not be possible, certainly impractical. If one were determined to road trip through here in an EV today, the Tesla long-range models would be the only choice. I just saw 8 superchargers, available 24/7, up to 150kW, in Lima, MT; about the ass-end of nowhere.

jack vines
We are all different and use our cars differently. I have had my car 3 months or so, and have fast charged it so many times I couldn't give an accurate count of how many times I have fast charged.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
So I did a search for Launch Edition EUVs either available or in-transit in the entire country, and chevy.com lists 57 available/in-transit. So I guess they are trickling out of the factory. Hopefully the one with my name on it makes it off the factory lot soon.
Now up to 318 Launch Editions listed. Unfortunately my EUV is still not at the dealer (nor left the factory).

·
Registered
18 Posts
So I just about pulled the trigger on a 2019 m3 LR w/ 42k kms on it on the weekend, dealer let me take it for a cpl days. The car is amazing and while I haven’t drove a bolt yet, it was my first drive in an electric and it was very comfortable and smooth. I felt the dealer was asking too much for it though, and the uncertainty of issues coming up and being 15 hrs away from the nearest service centre and it being our families only vehicle I decided against it. I’m going to hold off for the bolt and drive that for atleast 5 years, it’s a much more practical vehicle, down the road when I’ll be looking for something more luxurious I’ll visit on Tesla again.
My only gripe with the Tesla was the climate controls & door handles were a pain in the ass. Lol

·
Registered
209 Posts
So I just about pulled the trigger on a 2019 m3 LR w/ 42k kms on it on the weekend, dealer let me take it for a cpl days. The car is amazing and while I haven’t drove a bolt yet, it was my first drive in an electric and it was very comfortable and smooth. I felt the dealer was asking too much for it though, and the uncertainty of issues coming up and being 15 hrs away from the nearest service centre and it being our families only vehicle I decided against it. I’m going to hold off for the bolt and drive that for atleast 5 years, it’s a much more practical vehicle, down the road when I’ll be looking for something more luxurious I’ll visit on Tesla again.
My only gripe with the Tesla was the climate controls & door handles were a pain in the ass. Lol
That is a great plan.... big thumbs up. I am thinking the very same thing myself.... right now still working commuting and this Bolt is freaking awesome!! Saves me over $200 a month in gas and I only go to the maverick for sodas... LOL

·
Registered
929 Posts
What were they asking for the 19 M3? I have only driven the Dual Motor M3 an MY and the acceleration difference to the Bolt is insanely different. I image the acceleration in rear drive only will be similar to that of the Bolt. Have you inquired with Tesla if a Mobile Service tech is available in your area? Also, don't let the lack of a dealership be too big a sway as many people even with local Chevy dealers have had bad experiences with service on their EV as either the dealer was not certified or had no interest in servicing a Bolt or a Volt. I know I was less than thrilled with my local dealer when I took my Volt for service that was clearly covered under warranty in the TSB but they still tried to charge me. The biggest decider for me was at the time I could buy a new Bolt for half of what it would cost to buy a Dual Motor M3.

Also, if you do buy a Tesla I highly recommend buying the Dual motor of the RWD only.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It wasn’t a dual motor and it was rwd, still seemed plenty fast to me lol. Yeah I just don’t want to change buying a used m3, my current vehicle is. 2019 acres rdx and over the past 2 years I’ve had that thing in the dealer to get fixed for quality issues (brakes, sunroof, suspension, seats) time and time again so I don’t want to get burned again. There’s is only 1 mobile tech for Tesla and heard from other owners it takes weeks for them to show.
Going with a bolt will be the right choice right now and then after a few years I’ll most likely look at a model Y, so many more EV to shop from down the road!

·
Registered
205 Posts
What were they asking for the 19 M3? I have only driven the Dual Motor M3 an MY and the acceleration difference to the Bolt is insanely different. I image the acceleration in rear drive only will be similar to that of the Bolt. Have you inquired with Tesla if a Mobile Service tech is available in your area? Also, don't let the lack of a dealership be too big a sway as many people even with local Chevy dealers have had bad experiences with service on their EV as either the dealer was not certified or had no interest in servicing a Bolt or a Volt. I know I was less than thrilled with my local dealer when I took my Volt for service that was clearly covered under warranty in the TSB but they still tried to charge me. The biggest decider for me was at the time I could buy a new Bolt for half of what it would cost to buy a Dual Motor M3.

Also, if you do buy a Tesla I highly recommend buying the Dual motor of the RWD only.
I have the RWD only version which is only marginally slower than the AWD version. Maybe a few tenth's of second slower to 60. You probably couldn't tell the difference if you didn't know. Still in a different league than a Bolt.
I also would push back on avoiding a RWD only on the used market. Having owned a FWD EV for years, I knew I would never own another and in my region, would have preferred AWD but it wasn't available at the time. I've been through 3 winters now and with snow tires, it's extremely stable and predictable. The biggest gripe I have is the ground clearance is low so on roads not plowed, the snow between the tires can be taller than the clearance. The car is pretty heavy so it's never been a problem but just a nit.
Getting unstuck would be the biggest advantage of the AWD.

·
Registered
205 Posts
It wasn’t a dual motor and it was rwd, still seemed plenty fast to me lol. Yeah I just don’t want to change buying a used m3, my current vehicle is. 2019 acres rdx and over the past 2 years I’ve had that thing in the dealer to get fixed for quality issues (brakes, sunroof, suspension, seats) time and time again so I don’t want to get burned again. There’s is only 1 mobile tech for Tesla and heard from other owners it takes weeks for them to show.
Going with a bolt will be the right choice right now and then after a few years I’ll most likely look at a model Y, so many more EV to shop from down the road!
It's a legitimate concern being so far from a Tesla Service Center. It may be a Canadian issue with the mobile tech delay but if you can't drive the car and it takes weeks to get fixed, stay away.
Have you looked at the Ioniq 5? Are they available in Canada?

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's a legitimate concern being so far from a Tesla Service Center. It may be a Canadian issue with the mobile tech delay but if you can't drive the car and it takes weeks to get fixed, stay away.
Have you looked at the Ioniq 5? Are they available in Canada?
They aren’t available until next year and I’m thinking one with decent options would be close to $60k so more than I want to spend right now. I asked the local dealer here and they won’t receive them until early next year, but yeah it looks really nice.

·
Registered
205 Posts
They aren’t available until next year and I’m thinking one with decent options would be close to $60k so more than I want to spend right now. I asked the local dealer here and they won’t receive them until early next year, but yeah it looks really nice.
Dang, I didn't know they'd be so expensive. But from what I saw of it, it's not too surprising. For anyone with a firm <$30k budget and wants a new EV. The Bolt is hard to beat.

61 - 80 of 103 Posts