Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Yesterday we picked up our new Chevy Bolt from a dealership in Toronto. Here's my initial impressions 24 hrs in (we only sat in one at the Toronto Auto Show - no test drive before purchasing) :

1. We have no issues with the seats. They're firm, but not uncomfortable to us. Tons of leg room in the back for the kiddies and adults alike.
2. Glad we got the two-tone seats - that colour scheme comes with the black dash colour - no issues with glare.
3. It's **** fun to drive!
4. Love L mode and the regen paddle. Where have you been all my life! Drove around the City of Peterborough in L and didn't lose a km in range (caveat to this is that we've driven the car so little, there's little data for the computer to guesstimate the range properly)
5. Dash display and main infotainment panel is fantastic. I don't mind the angle of the infotainment panel - I'd disregard complaints regarding this.
6. Setting up location based charging rates - peak, mid and off peak - was a bit tricky - took a while to figure out, but was able to finally set Hydro One's time of use scheme
7. I see what people are saying about the rearview mirror camera - when it is in the camera view, the eye has difficulty transitioning from one focal length to another.
8. Reverse overhead camera view is awesome (although one camera is askew) - reverse camera out the back is terrible. They need to upgrade this to an HD camera.
9. It's soooo **** quiet (love it) - except for the slightly annoying pedestrian warning sound (don't love it).
10. Brakes - Touchy to start, but become mushy as you continue to apply. Really have to get on the brakes more than my other cars. (mute issue of course in L mode!)
11. Wireless charging pocket - too **** small!! I have an iPhone 6+ in a thin Otterbox case and there's no chance of getting it in there. Like many others, I'm left trying to figure out where to put my iPhone. (I have a thin wireless gizmo that allows my iPhone to charge wirelessly) The pocket under the infotainment screen is too small too.

That's it for now. Time to head back out to the car and check out all the other bells and whistles in the infotainment screen...

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
....I see what people are saying about the rearview mirror camera - when it is in the camera view, the eye has difficulty transitioning from one focal length to another.
Just stick with it and your brain will retrain your eyes to focus on it correctly. It takes a few days, but then you can use it in either mode effortlessly.

Nice choice of color BTW! :D

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I don't think you can wirelessly charge with your phone in an Otter Box, so it does not matter if it cannot fit. The back case of the phone must be very close to the induction coil and the box gets in the way. I tried taking my S8 out of the case to test the wireless charging, but it was too darned hard to do (I was driving at the time). So I'll cord charge - which is what using Google Maps / Android Auto requires you to do anyway!

One hint on the rearview mirror camera is to focus on something close, like the bow tie on the wheel, then move to the "mirror" view. While driving, your eyes focus at a distance. Move the focus to a stationary close object, then glance in the "mirror". It takes less than one full second to adjust, then scope the view for 2-3 seconds more, then back to the road. Maybe when your view is obscured by a 5th passenger, or objects in the cargo bay, this feature will become more useful, but I agree, it takes some "getting used to".

·
Registered
19 Posts

Yesterday we picked up our new Chevy Bolt from a dealership in Toronto. Here's my initial impressions 24 hrs in (we only sat in one at the Toronto Auto Show - no test drive before purchasing) :

1. We have no issues with the seats. They're firm, but not uncomfortable to us. Tons of leg room in the back for the kiddies and adults alike.
2. Glad we got the two-tone seats - that colour scheme comes with the black dash colour - no issues with glare.
4. Love L mode and the regen paddle. Where have you been all my life! Drove around the City of Peterborough in L and didn't lose a km in range (caveat to this is that we've driven the car so little, there's little data for the computer to guesstimate the range properly)
5. Dash display and main infotainment panel is fantastic. I don't mind the angle of the infotainment panel - I'd disregard complaints regarding this.
6. Setting up location based charging rates - peak, mid and off peak - was a bit tricky - took a while to figure out, but was able to finally set Hydro One's time of use scheme
7. I see what people are saying about the rearview mirror camera - when it is in the camera view, the eye has difficulty transitioning from one focal length to another.
8. Reverse overhead camera view is awesome (although one camera is askew) - reverse camera out the back is terrible. They need to upgrade this to an HD camera.
9. It's soooo **** quiet (love it) - except for the slightly annoying pedestrian warning sound (don't love it).
10. Brakes - Touchy to start, but become mushy as you continue to apply. Really have to get on the brakes more than my other cars. (mute issue of course in L mode!)
11. Wireless charging pocket - too **** small!! I have an iPhone 6+ in a thin Otterbox case and there's no chance of getting it in there. Like many others, I'm left trying to figure out where to put my iPhone. (I have a thin wireless gizmo that allows my iPhone to charge wirelessly) The pocket under the infotainment screen is too small too.

That's it for now. Time to head back out to the car and check out all the other bells and whistles in the infotainment screen...
i read somewhere that in Canada, the price of the Bolt is much lower than in the US because there's no 7500 rebate. is this true? could you share the price you paid for your premier bolt? thanx

·
Registered
4 Posts

I just to a red one too .. I'm really enjoying it. The sound system is a little boomy as set by the factory. The brakes do take a bit to
get used to .. but as you note, I've been doing L and I don't think I've touched the brakes much.
I think the iPhone integration is really good... been digging that.
Love the proximity sensors .. car and pedestrian.

GM did a good job on this car (IMHO)
jeff

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Nice to hear you've had a mostly positive initial experience.

About the wireless charging slot...if you take out the rubber thing, that'll give you more space to fit a bigger phone. Though then you may need to insert something else to make sure the back of the phone stays flush with the side with the charging pad.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Congrats on your Bolt, it looks fantastic! Getting closer myself too, tentative production the week of October 2.

Just a quick comment on setting up charging. We have a ChargePoint charger and used its settings for my wife's 2018 Volt. It's a lot simpler than using the car settings, it pulls all the local utility schedules automatically, don't have to mess with the car settings.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
i read somewhere that in Canada, the price of the Bolt is much lower than in the US because there's no 7500 rebate. is this true? could you share the price you paid for your premier bolt? thanx
Still waiting for mine (October 2 build week), but I can tell you what I'll pay in Canadian $ for a Premier, Nightfall Grey, Infotainment & Confidence Packages (DCFC is standard in Canada):

MSRP: $48,095
Freight & A/C Tax: $1,800
Colours & Options: $1,635
Total MSRP: $51,530
$14,000 Government Incentive (calculated before tax)
$12,389
Total Purchase Price: $39,141 before tax

·
Registered
64 Posts

11. Wireless charging pocket - too **** small!! I have an iPhone 6+ in a thin Otterbox case and there's no chance of getting it in there. Like many others, I'm left trying to figure out where to put my iPhone. (I have a thin wireless gizmo that allows my iPhone to charge wirelessly) The pocket under the infotainment screen is too small too. ]

I dont have the wireless charging option, but i too had no where to fit my phone. so i bought this off of amazon. i have it attached beside the infotainment screen and the charging cable stays out of my way.

[ame]https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00TK01CSU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts