Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new owner so please bear with me. I have been reading one of the other threads about which chargers to use. I see several options and was wanting to see if there were suggestions or any consensus.

I am looking for a level 2 charger for the house that will be wired on it's own circuit. I see options of tesla umc, clipper creek, and juice box. The dealer was trying to get me to buy the chevy one, but i must say some of the features of the juicebox pro look nice.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
782 Posts
any of those will do well - recommend Clippercreek, JuiceBox, or for the adventurous Tesla Wall Charger or Tesla UMC + Adapter…the adapter serves two purposes (one so you can use your home charger) and for traveling that lets you use Tesla chargers you encounter in the wild.

juicebox has best 'internet' connected features…

get at least a 40 amp version (32 amp charge rate) or better for your Bolt and any future EV's that may support > 32 amp charging.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
If you do not need WiFi control of your EVSE, the Siemens VersiCharge (32 amp. continuous) is reliable, easy to install, and less expensive than CC or JBP.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi Andy, Agree with all above comments.

I chose JuiceBox - my local utility rebated $250 to me after installing JB, since it could assist with programming to charge at night when demand is lowest. I get a 20% reduction in charges for only charging my car at night when electricity demand is low. I like the JB app for my phone too.

Also you can remove JB easily from the wall and take it with you if you are travelling and a destination or stop has a 240V outlet you can use. This has proven quite useful when I visit friends in Western Mass, the Cape or up in Maine. I hear good things about the Tesla systems too.

FYI I bought a 240V Tesla -> SAE J1772 adapter on EBay and have used it to recharge in places where Bolt recharging stations (J1772) were scarce. I always get approval from the destination charger owners before I use it (have never had a proprietor say No). Just noting that Tesla received a lot of US Government seed money and ... chose a proprietary charging socket. I think Tesla should use the same socket everyone else uses; but note their supercharger system is totally paid for by them, not anyone else.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I chose JuiceBox - my local utility rebated $250 to me after installing JB, since it could assist with programming to charge at night when demand is lowest. I get a 20% reduction in charges for only charging my car at night when electricity demand is low. I like the JB app for my phone too.

Also you can remove JB easily from the wall and take it with you if you are travelling and a destination or stop has a 240V outlet you can use. This has proven quite useful when I visit friends in Western Mass, the Cape or up in Maine. I hear good things about the Tesla systems too.

FYI I bought a 240V Tesla -> SAE J1772 adapter on EBay and have used it to recharge in places where Bolt recharging stations (J1772) were scarce. I always get approval from the destination charger owners before I use it (have never had a proprietor say No). Just noting that Tesla received a lot of US Government seed money and ... chose a proprietary charging socket. I think Tesla should use the same socket everyone else uses; but note their supercharger system is totally paid for by them, not anyone else.

I am in Georgia, utility here will do the same, $250 towards the charger and super low rates from 12 till 7. I did not think to mention that, i will need to schedule it.

Thank you everyone, I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Which jb model do you have?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Which jb model do you have?
Juicebox 40 Pro. Since I had mine installed in early May, this model has been upgraded as it has been UL approved, and I think now has blinking lights to alert you to its status. (Little blinking lights are always better than the absence of any lights). Functionally just the same as it has wifi connectivity, so it can be controlled by your phone app, and can liase with your local utility re: recharging times.

It installs on a wall slide-on bracket with a single screw at the bottom. Very easy to undo the single screw and put into car for a long distance trip . I have a gazillion old small black laptop cases and repurposed one of them to hold the Juicebox 40 when on the road.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts