Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all !

I should receive my Bolt EV next month and I'm wondering if you all have a 240V charging station at home, or if the 110V unit supplied with the car do the job ?

I'm asking because I would like to know if I should wait to have a 240V unit installed at home or have it installed right now.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
592 Posts
What's the question? Why wait, if you want Level 2 just do it now so you are ready. I installed my first EVSE a year before I got the car.

My situation is odd, but I have three Level 2's at home, 1 spare Level 1 OEM, and free charging at work. Here's what I do from most to least

1. 3.3 kW/6.6 kW Level 2 at work (fill up during the week)
  2. 7.7 kW Level 2 at home, inside and outside (use it to fill up on the high driving weekends)
  3. Free public charging (get a bit while out and about)
  4. 1 kW Level 1 (8A/120V) at home (trickle charge sometimes at night if it's cold)
  5. 1kW-7.7 kW Level 1/Level 2 in car when in a pinch (haven't used yet)
  6. OEM original Level 1 stored in the lowest trunk (emergency backup EVSE)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would check with your province. You're elegible for a rebate so check the rules. In Ontario you neeed to put your VIN number on the form and you only have 90 days I think after EVSE purchase to apply. Probably different rules in Quebec but worth checking.

·
Registered
195 Posts
:)With a Bolt, you're in the Tesla league with EV range and a big battery pack. If you use your Bolt as intended, you'll want the ease of faster charging (25 miles per hour) that a Level 2, 32A or higher, EVSE will provide. Purchase or lease, most will keep their Bolts a minimum of three years. The cost of a Level 2 EVSE spread over three years is smart decision.

Reactions: parrnan

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
It depends on how much you drive, and whether you can easily charge outside home without spending much extra time to do so.

A L1 "charger" that Bolts come with adds 4-5 miles an hour; so, if you commute 50 miles/day and don't need the Bolt for anything else, you'd just plug it overnight on L1 and would not need an L2 "charger".

I drive typically 100-120 miles/day, occasionally up to 200-210 miles, and most of the places I go to aren't charger-rich. Which means I do need a L2 EVSE at home. I also carry a portable L2 with me, not sure why I do that, though :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
I should receive my Bolt EV next month and I'm wondering if you all have a 240V charging station at home, or if the 110V unit supplied with the car do the job ?
Even if the 110v EVSE can cover your charging needs right now, the level 2 will be nicer to have in the winter if you precondition the car (heating up the interior before you get in the car). With the level 2, it will provide enough electric current to cover the amount of electricity used by the preconditioning heating, so you don't drive off with less range.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
As mentioned, whether you must have a Level Two station at home depends upon your use and your weather. We could have gotten by with the supplied Level One charger, but decided to spring for the Level Two just as a precaution. Then, our local utility sweetened the deal with a free charger and almost free ($165) install. It also keeps a separate use record. Our electricity cost is low as is our use, but it's nice to know how much is used/saved.

jack vines

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
If you have an available 240v outlet available, then you might as well use the included EVSE with an adapter on that outlet. It's capable of both 120v and 240v without modification.

I have a wimpy 3.2 kWh battery in my Prius plug-in and still installed a 50 amp NEMA 14-50r receptacle in my garage as a learning exercise and to future proof for a better EV. Not only that, but the charging efficiency is significantly better with 240v vs 120.

If you rent your home, then I wouldn't bother with upgrades, but if you own, then you might as well prepare it for the future. The cost to install a new circuit isn't going to go down in price. EVSE prices might go down in the future, but that's hard to predict.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What's the question? Why wait, if you want Level 2 just do it now so you are ready. I installed my first EVSE a year before I got the car.

My situation is odd, but I have three Level 2's at home, 1 spare Level 1 OEM, and free charging at work. Here's what I do from most to least

1. 3.3 kW/6.6 kW Level 2 at work (fill up during the week)
  2. 7.7 kW Level 2 at home, inside and outside (use it to fill up on the high driving weekends)
  3. Free public charging (get a bit while out and about)
  4. 1 kW Level 1 (8A/120V) at home (trickle charge sometimes at night if it's cold)
  5. 1kW-7.7 kW Level 1/Level 2 in car when in a pinch (haven't used yet)
  6. OEM original Level 1 stored in the lowest trunk (emergency backup EVSE)
I must wait because here in Quebec the governement gives us $350 for the purchase of a level 2 charging station (cost about $920 including sale taxes). He also give us $250 for the charging station installation. In order to get that $600 we must supply the proof that we own an EV and specify the car's VIN in our refund request.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would check with your province. You're elegible for a rebate so check the rules. In Ontario you neeed to put your VIN number on the form and you only have 90 days I think after EVSE purchase to apply. Probably different rules in Quebec but worth checking.
Here the rebate are
$350 for the purchase of a level 2 charging station (cost about $920 including sale taxes).
$250 for the charging station installation.

Of course, in order to get that $600 we must supply the proof that we own an EV and specify the car's VIN in our refund request.

The goverment also give us $8,000 when we buy an EV car, This is good but not as good as the $14,000 in Ontario.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Here the rebate are
$350 for the purchase of a level 2 charging station (cost about $920 including sale taxes).
$250 for the charging station installation.

Of course, in order to get that $600 we must supply the proof that we own an EV and specify the car's VIN in our refund request.

The goverment also give us $8,000 when we buy an EV car, This is good but not as good as the $14,000 in Ontario.
Go ahead and get the installation done now, you have plenty of time to make the rebate request after the installation and taking possession of the Bolt. My dealer gave me the VIN etc several days before I took physical possession of the car. The 120V EVSE option will feel like it takes forever ... which it does. Plus, if you have to pick someone up or have an emergency trip, you will want to have a full battery when you rush out. 240V Level 2 much better. I keep the 120V EVSE in my trunk as an emergency backup option in an old computer laptop bag.

Prior advice posted by O'Rouke is quite good. I got a Juicebox Pro EVSE (not the Tesla unit) because my local utility gave me a $250 rebate on my installation costs if I bought it, since it can monitor my charging times via a WIFI linkage (they give me a discount on the cost of electricity).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It depends on how much you drive, and whether you can easily charge outside home without spending much extra time to do so.

A L1 "charger" that Bolts come with adds 4-5 miles an hour; so, if you commute 50 miles/day and don't need the Bolt for anything else, you'd just plug it overnight on L1 and would not need an L2 "charger".

I drive typically 100-120 miles/day, occasionally up to 200-210 miles, and most of the places I go to aren't charger-rich. Which means I do need a L2 EVSE at home. I also carry a portable L2 with me, not sure why I do that, though :)
Good advise!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thank you all for your advise!

I'll wait for my Bolt EV and then I'll order an EVDuty charging station which seems to be the most popular in my area.

https://evdutystore.elmec.ca/products/evc30-borne-de-recharge-evduty-40-pour-vehicule-electrique-prise-nema-6-50p

And, of course, have it installed.
For that price i would compare it to a JuiceBox Pro https://emotorwerks.com/store/residential/juicebox-pro-40-smart-40-amp-evse-with-24-foot-cable

You get 40 amps, Wi-Fi capabilities and app. But this would require a 50amp breaker and different outlet (NEMA 14-50)

·
Registered
592 Posts
You get 40 amps, Wi-Fi capabilities and app. But this would require a 50amp breaker and different outlet (NEMA 14-50)
It's happy with any adapter you care to throw at it. Otherwise agree, I believe the JuiceBox is the Cadillac of EVSE's.

One thing I'd recommend though is to go pigtail/hard wire for the home installation, unless you want to use the JuiceBox both fixed and mobile. Reason is that you'll be pulling 32A for hours, the connectors will get warm, which wastes energy and is less preferred.

My favorite I have is Clipper Creeks/JuiceBox editions (hard wired) at home, and a JuiceBox Pro in the car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts