Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I remember reading (here?) a post about a Bolt person, carrying in the car a collection of 240V adapters to be able to plug his EVSE into all types of 240V outlets. As it always is, can't find this post :(

Here is the Q: My portable EVSE has a relatively rate, 10-50 plug (I ordered it that way, because I already had a 10-50R near the car port.

I am gathering that some of the more popular layouts are 14-50 and 10-30. So, I should be looking to get a 14-50P to 10-50R and a 10-30P to 10-50R adapters. What is a good place to buy them?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Commercial adapters will be expensive....like $60-80 each...because of two things...

1) the 14-50 plug is large and expensive.
2) the adapter needs to be rated for 50A (40 continuous) to be listed as safe...since it could be used at that current hooked up to a 14-50.

The result is a large and heavy duty thingy with a ton of copper in it.

If you have a 40A portable charger....then this is what you need and you just spend the money. EVSEupgrade seems to have a selection.

I have a dual voltage 16A 240V portable I got on FleaBay for $175, so I made up a bunch of adapters myself using smaller wires, and a small, 5-20 receptacle for the EVSE end (which has a 5-15P plug on it).

I made up 6 for a total of about $100 this way. The other nice feature of this arrangement is I can use a standard (cheap) 12 AWG extension cord with 5-15 outlet and plug, since it can go between my adapter and my EVSE. It was under $50.

So for about $300 total I got a 2.9 kW portable L2 with a 120' reach that can fit 6 different 240V outlets.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! A lot of good info. My portable EVSE allows to choose among 3 ampere settings (16-24-32), and of course I'd like to use it @ 32A whenever I can.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you are looking for a reasonable priced alternative with a variety of fittings, you should do a search on Etsy for "EV Level 2 Charge Adapter for OEM 2016-18 EVSE" (I'd give a link, but still a junior member). The vendor is IdeaFab.

Honestly, I don't think you will find much of a need for a wide variety of adapters though. I bought one from Idea Fab to use the Chevy charging cord on our Volt. I bought a dedicated cable (no adapter) for my Bolt. I had two 240V 14-50 outlets installed in my garage, so that is the only adapter I bought.

The one adapter I think I still need is one to convert a Tesla destination charger to the J-1772. See recent thread "I have one of these - it works great…" for discussion on that. If you are going to take a road trip, there are many Level 2 chargers that are "Tesla" destination chargers (different from their superchargers). A converter would be ideal (and maybe critical).

·
Registered
173 Posts
Personally I've taken the approach of not sweating the adaptors until I know I need one. I mean some of those plugs that you can get are very one off in use imho.

https://www.evseadapters.com/collections/all Sells premade ones.

Amazon will gladly sell you the bits needs to make your own, if inclined.

One man's thread on what he carries
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?295329-Bolt-EV-portable-charging-accessories

Chris_tx Nema chart
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?218442-2016-Volt-120v-EVSE-is-L1-L2-Conversion-Capable&p=3033402#post3033402

·
Registered
293 Posts
I would agree that it doesn't make sense to drop a lot of cash for an assortment of 240V adapters. I did it b/c I could do it DIY cheap, mostly for peace of mind and b/c I was having fun.

I mostly figured that the most common 240V plug in most random houses would be a dryer plug, and that would not be in a garage....so I got two different dryer plug adapters and extension cord compatibility. And then I did the other adapters on a lark.

·
Registered
643 Posts
NEMA 14-50 and a Marine ShorePower to NEMA 14-50, and a Dryer/WaterHeater plug adapter will cover 80% of the 240 plugs you're going to run into, if you want another 10% then get a NEMA 6-50 adapter...

I recommend the Tesla UMC (gen 1) and the J-1772 to Tesla Adatper pigtail - this will get you very very good compatibility and an awesome portal EVSE.

·
Registered
134 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
NEMA 14-50 and a Marine ShorePower to NEMA 14-50, and a Dryer/WaterHeater plug adapter will cover 80% of the 240 plugs you're going to run into, if you want another 10% then get a NEMA 6-50 adapter...

I recommend the Tesla UMC (gen 1) and the J-1772 to Tesla Adatper pigtail - this will get you very very good compatibility and an awesome portal EVSE.
Is your recommendation for a gen 1 because it was 40A capable while gen 2 is 32A capable, or is there other reasons to prefer the 1st generation that I'm not yet aware of?

Do you know if the current adaptors that Tesla sells work for the gen 1 as well, or are they gen 2 specific? I ask for two reasons: a new Gen 2 is $300, and used Gen 1 pricing is the same. Also, the adaptors listed on Tesla's site state Gen 2.

https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/gen-2-nema-adapters.html

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

·
Registered
643 Posts
yes my recomebdation for gen1 is due to it being 40 amp - but you can no longer order the gem 1 with adapters which makes me sad - the gen2 is now the most flexible 32 amp mobile EVSE in my opinion

1 - 11 of 11 Posts