Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
If you look at your charging screen while charging at a DCFC when charging rate drops it actually changes the rating from "fast charging" to Medium charging" in the Bolt.

Keith

·
Registered
328 Posts
Something with peak speed faster than around 10kW and slower than about 30kW is called medium/intermediate speed (중속) charging in Korea as well. In order to qualify as DCFC the charger must be capable of 100A output and it happens to be that most public DCFCs can do at least 110A. So a pure medium speed charger is rare and AFAIK only one operator offers the speed on their DCFCs as a slightly cheaper option.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think Medium / Intermediate DC chargers will become more common as they nicely balance cost with speed.

Restaurants, grocery stores, health clubs and movie theatres are obvious candidates.

L2s remain optimal for workplaces, apartments, and hotels - anywhere people remain all day or over night.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, perhaps medium DC chargers for free and charge for DCFC. There was an article talking about McD somewhere in Europe adding charging stations.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Although I've repeatedly used several free medium speed DC chargers in my area, free isn't sustainable. 5 to 10 cents per minute may be reasonable with discounts for frequent shoppers, certain membership tiers, yadda yadda.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just passed a Smith's with a gas station and thought how nice it would be if shoppers with EV can get a quick 10-20 KWh from a shopping trip. If not free, then at least very near or at cost. They're doing that for gas consumers already.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Although I've repeatedly used several free medium speed DC chargers in my area, free isn't sustainable. 5 to 10 cents per minute may be reasonable with discounts for frequent shoppers, certain membership tiers, yadda yadda.
No free charging is sustainable. Once there are enough EVs, the free chargers will always be full everywhere. Free chargers will either switch to pay to charge or be turned off. Only long distance travelers will be willing to pay to charge, the way it should be. Everyone else will charge at home.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No free charging is sustainable. Once there are enough EVs, the free chargers will always be full everywhere. Free chargers will either switch to pay to charge or be turned off. Only long distance travelers will be willing to pay to charge, the way it should be. Everyone else will charge at home.
Yep, getting lots of EVs locally... the local mall gets 100% saturation around lunch time daily. Not sure if its the employees or customers.

As far as paying to charge, apartment and condo dwellers will still be willing to pay to charge... as EVs get more popular, there is no guarantee of overnight charging either.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think Medium / Intermediate DC chargers will become more common as they nicely balance cost with speed.

Restaurants, grocery stores, health clubs and movie theatres are obvious candidates.

L2s remain optimal for workplaces, apartments, and hotels - anywhere people remain all day or over night.
Places like these will end up having a mix of both as there will be situations at each where a bit faster charging will be useful.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
227 Posts
There will be a percentage of folks who will not easily be able to charge at home. Medium speed DCFC at a modest cost in public spaces will serve that need.

Charging doesn't need to be free. But it cannot be at ultra high speed rates up to $60/hr usage either.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The concept of validating a parking ticket comes to mind... this guy goes to Ikea, buys something, and they deduct the purchase price from his charging bill. This would work great at a grocery store when you can tie your charging account with your membership card.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I was far from home today and stopped at a Festival Foods, a new one, for lunch. Noticed they had a ChargePoint station for 2 cars on the lot. Looked fairly new. Plugged in because it was free, would not if it wasn't. I don't need to charge away from home and I sure as fudge won't wait around for a charge. It was a Level 2 charger, supposedly rated at 5kWh but it wasn't giving that out, it was in the 4's. The cord on the charge handle seemed pretty darn small, seriously laughable at how thin the cable was. In any case, after 80 minutes the car took 6.1 kW, or roughly 4.5 kwH. I'm thankful for the free charge at a grocery store, but that rate is rather 'low.'. I'll leave it at that. For what it's worth, the other grocery store in town has full rate chargers, all L2.

·
Registered
243 Posts
It was a Level 2 charger, supposedly rated at 5kWh but it wasn't giving that out, it was in the 4's. The cord on the charge handle seemed pretty darn small, seriously laughable at how thin the cable was. In any case, after 80 minutes the car took 6.1 kW, or roughly 4.5 kwH. I'm thankful for the free charge at a grocery store, but that rate is rather 'low.'. I'll leave it at that. For what it's worth, the other grocery store in town has full rate chargers, all L2.
Huh?

Your post and usage of units are really confusing.

Charging rate is in kW, a measure of power. Energy (such as what's dispensed) is measured in kWh. If you charge at 6 kW for 1 hour, then 6 kWh was dispensed. If you charge at 6 kW for 2 hours, 12 kWh was dispensed.

If you charged at 80 minutes at 6.1 kW, then ~8.13 kWh should've been dispensed.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Huh?

Your post and usage of units are really confusing.

Charging rate is in kW, a measure of power. Energy (such as what's dispensed) is measured in kWh. If you charge at 6 kW for 1 hour, then 6 kWh was dispensed. If you charge at 6 kW for 2 hours, 12 kWh was dispensed.

If you charged at 80 minutes at 6.1 kW, then ~8.13 kWh should've been dispensed.
My apologies, I wasn't using the correct terms.
The charger had a placard that it was rated at 5 point something kW's. When I was done, the rate was in the 4's by my math. Here's what ChargePoint reported for me. The temps were in the 60's, the battery was at approximately 45% when I pulled in.
cp.JPG

·
Registered
243 Posts
^^^
Yeah, from that, your charge rate averaged about 4.2 kW.

In the ChargePoint app, if you tap on the hamburger menu > charging activity, then tap on a session, you can see the graph. You can then press, hold and drag left and right to see the energy dispensed (in kWh) at a certain point and power level (in kW) at that time..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts