Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hence mass scale investment into production...

A quarter of all “eco cars” will use carbon fiber within six years as automakers ranging from General Motors Co. (GM) to Toyota Motor Corp. turn to lighter materials to improve fuel economy, a Japanese supplier says.

Osaka-based Teijin Ltd. (3401), provider of carbon fiber to Airbus Group NV (AIR)’s A380 superjumbo, forecasts industry sales of carbon fiber cars will reach 3 million units by 2020 as it works with Detroit-based GM to develop the material for mass production, according to a Nov. 7 statement.

Carbon fiber -- about 10 times stronger and 75 percent lighter than steel -- has so far been used only in sports cars and luxury vehicles such as Toyota’s Lexus LFA and Volkswagen AG’s Lamborghini. Of the 100 million vehicles to be produced annually by 2020, about 12 million will be eco cars such as electronic vehicles and hybrids, according to the Teijin statement.

·
Registered
639 Posts
It's one of the practical things they can do to improve on range. Weight is a big killer of range, where ever they can cut it is a win for them, especially with all the batteries and components needed for an EV powertrain.

·
Registered
428 Posts
CF is going to be used more generally since there have been huge strides forward in the production process. It just makes extra sense for EVs. The weight reduction will be useful everywhere but especially for EVs.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know, realistically light weight benefits hydrocarbon propulsion more then electrical propulsion... BUT SHH...

·
Registered
428 Posts
I don't know, realistically light weight benefits hydrocarbon propulsion more then electrical propulsion... BUT SHH...
How is that so? I just imagine weight reduction is good no matter what form of propulsion you are going with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts