Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV / 2014 Spark EV / 2020 Tesla Model Y
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I stumbled across these entries at a GM Parts Direct web site. Does anyone know what changed in a second Bolt EV battery design?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Ohhhh that's interesting. Don't think it affects the Bolt's range or else the Chevy site would have adjusted the info. Took a look at the part illustration too and it looks exactly the same, but pricing is different. hmmmmm

I can only assume that they're simply different batches of battery?

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
The part illustration is for a Volt battery pack...

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
I saw the same thing. Given that the photos are of the Volt pack which does have a Gen 1 and a Gen 2 I assumed that someobody f'd up.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV / 2014 Spark EV / 2020 Tesla Model Y
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those are Volt packs instead of Bolt? Maybe... But Volt's have had no less than 4 revisions, and they have one for the Gen 2 '17 at P/N 19333494 for about $6,200. So pricing is in line with this being a lot more battery than Volt. Hmmm.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I like how in the video, even the instructor calls the Bolt "Volt" initially. Dang it GM Marketing, get your act together.

Some comments:

1. At 18:28, he drains the Bolt's battery coolant into a tub with coolant from the 2018 Volt battery pack. Wow, so little coolant even if there's more coolant in the battery pack. I was expecting maybe a gallon but it looks like less than that came from the Bolt.

2. At 27:11, the sticker on the battery pack shows:
LG Electronics
Model Name: VISTA 2.0 Cell Module Assembly
Rated Energy: 57kWhr
LiMM-C.F / LGE. 1707
Assembled In South Korea
Does this mean we only have 57 kWh available with 3 kWh as buffers? Does this mean we have 1.5 kWh top and bottom buffer?

3. Did not expect so little material besides the metal and rear seat cushion. No wonder there so much road noise inside the Bolt EV cabin.

4. Nice to see clearly where the lift pads are.

·
Registered
1 Posts
VIN number cut off point

Just want to share this with the group, according to this video, VIN number after ****163254 is version two.

Search YouTube for this: 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV Battery Disassembly from WeberAuto

Version one may have some issues.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The professor in the video mentioned an issue where the car would estimate a higher range than what’s actual with the previous battery version.
Fast forward to around 4:45 in that second tear down video.

Link:
https://youtu.be/ssU2mjiNi_Q

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Our car was built long before the second battery VIN number, and the label under our battery says VISTA 2.0. However, the battery in the video also has a second label, which says: TWO NO., followed by a seven digit number. I would upload the screenshot, but the site won't let me. Not a computer guy. It allowed me to upload other screenshots from the same video, so not sure what is up.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
The professor in the video mentioned an issue where the car would estimate a higher range than what’s actual with the previous battery version.
Fast forward to around 4:45 in that second tear down video.

Link:
https://youtu.be/ssU2mjiNi_Q
I think he's referring to the low voltage error that ends up stranding Bolts that a small number of early production Bolts suffered.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Mine was built 4/17 and my vin is 57482 so I guess that means I have version # 1. I have not looked under the car yet but will next month when I do my first rotation.
The label, on ours, is on the side of the pack, just to the rear of the seam between the front and rear door. I slid a mirror along the garage floor under the rocker panel until I found it. Then I stuck a camera under, and took a picture. I'd love to know if anybody before the VIN he listed has that second label.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
I think he's referring to the low voltage error that ends up stranding Bolts that a small number of early production Bolts suffered.
Yeah. That low voltage error is exactly what you would get if one of your cells was below spec. Since these packs are top balanced, a slightly low capacity cell's voltage doesn't fall off the cliff until you get down to those last few miles remaining. One of my questions is; Did they just reprogram the computer to show less range for the last bar or two on later cars, and change the label from 60 kWh to 57 kWh?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts