Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

2nd Battery Design?

16K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  grommet 
#1 ·
So I stumbled across these entries at a GM Parts Direct web site. Does anyone know what changed in a second Bolt EV battery design?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Ohhhh that's interesting. Don't think it affects the Bolt's range or else the Chevy site would have adjusted the info. Took a look at the part illustration too and it looks exactly the same, but pricing is different. hmmmmm

I can only assume that they're simply different batches of battery?

#7 ·
Those are Volt packs instead of Bolt? Maybe... But Volt's have had no less than 4 revisions, and they have one for the Gen 2 '17 at P/N 19333494 for about $6,200. So pricing is in line with this being a lot more battery than Volt. Hmmm.

#9 · (Edited)
I like how in the video, even the instructor calls the Bolt "Volt" initially. Dang it GM Marketing, get your act together.

Some comments:

1. At 18:28, he drains the Bolt's battery coolant into a tub with coolant from the 2018 Volt battery pack. Wow, so little coolant even if there's more coolant in the battery pack. I was expecting maybe a gallon but it looks like less than that came from the Bolt.

2. At 27:11, the sticker on the battery pack shows:
LG Electronics
Model Name: VISTA 2.0 Cell Module Assembly
Rated Energy: 57kWhr
LiMM-C.F / LGE. 1707
Assembled In South Korea
Does this mean we only have 57 kWh available with 3 kWh as buffers? Does this mean we have 1.5 kWh top and bottom buffer?

3. Did not expect so little material besides the metal and rear seat cushion. No wonder there so much road noise inside the Bolt EV cabin.

4. Nice to see clearly where the lift pads are.

#14 ·
The professor in the video mentioned an issue where the car would estimate a higher range than what’s actual with the previous battery version.
Fast forward to around 4:45 in that second tear down video.

Link:
https://youtu.be/ssU2mjiNi_Q
I think he's referring to the low voltage error that ends up stranding Bolts that a small number of early production Bolts suffered.

#13 ·
Our car was built long before the second battery VIN number, and the label under our battery says VISTA 2.0. However, the battery in the video also has a second label, which says: TWO NO., followed by a seven digit number. I would upload the screenshot, but the site won't let me. Not a computer guy. It allowed me to upload other screenshots from the same video, so not sure what is up.

#15 ·
Mine was built 4/17 and my vin is 57482 so I guess that means I have version # 1. I have not looked under the car yet but will next month when I do my first rotation.

#16 · (Edited)
The label, on ours, is on the side of the pack, just to the rear of the seam between the front and rear door. I slid a mirror along the garage floor under the rocker panel until I found it. Then I stuck a camera under, and took a picture. I'd love to know if anybody before the VIN he listed has that second label.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.