Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't park in the garage. I was thinking about putting some 303 Aerospace Protectant on the plastic parts to keep them fresh and protected from the elements. Does anyone have any thoughts on this, or recommendations for another, better product?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I used one application of the 303 Aerospace Protectant Wipes on my 2014 Volt... after a couple of months in the sun... it discolored the plastic it was applied to.

I wouldn't use anything on the Bolt plastic!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I did a bit of research and aside from those protective films, people just suggested that you give the body a good wax after washing it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used one application of the 303 Aerospace Protectant Wipes on my 2014 Volt... after a couple of months in the sun... it discolored the plastic it was applied to.

Wow. Glad I asked. I've been using the stuff on my boat vinyl for years, but I've never used it on plastic.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
^ the odd thing was that it didn't discolor the actual main dashboard area on the Volt... it discolored the plastic insert strips between the dashboard and windshield... especially bad was the small center strip where the charge indicator LED is located... it got very "chalky" and discolored.

On the Bolt I just use a damp (water only!) microfiber cloth to clean the dash and plastics after the 303 incident with the Volt.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^ the odd thing was that it didn't discolor the actual main dashboard area on the Volt... it discolored the plastic insert strips between the dashboard and windshield... especially bad was the small center strip where the charge indicator LED is located... it got very "chalky" and discolored.

On the Bolt I just use a damp (water only!) microfiber cloth to clean the dash and plastics after the 303 incident with the Volt.
So, I'm mostly concerned about the external plastic, like around the base of the car. Do you use anything special on that?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
^ no, I really wouldn't take a chance with any "treatments" on the plastics.
I think the external plastic will hold up without help.

The only thing I did to the exterior was lay down a couple coats of "Nu-Finish" ($7 at Amazon and Walmart) polish/paint protector because I was getting water spotting on the clear coat which was already visible on the 2-month old Cajun Red paint.
The Nu-Finish has stopped the water spotting issue.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Yeah, better having it on before the spots appear.
It took some pretty hard rubbing to get them out.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I did a bit of research and aside from those protective films, people just suggested that you give the body a good wax after washing it.
That's even what some owners manuals suggest too, these days its easier than ever to wax, there's even spray on waxes for anyone needing a faster application process. Seen someone spray wax their car in under 30 minutes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, better having it on before the spots appear.
It took some pretty hard rubbing to get them out.
I don't know for sure that this would have worked in your case, but when you pull a boat out of the water, it's common practice to spray it with a squirt bottle of 50/50 white wine vinegar and distilled water to remove the hard water deposits.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Thanks Monkey....
I tried diluted and full strength vinegar... didn't work, even tried a commercial water spot remover (Duragloss Water Spot Remover #505- which smelled suspiciously like vinegar/acetic acid)... that didn't work either.
The only thing that worked was serious elbow grease with the Nu-Finish polish.

Going forward... the Nu-Finish is super easy to apply if you don't already have the water spots or paint damage, so I'll just put a fresh coat on when needed (every six months maybe?) to stop the spots before they ever start appearing again.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I don't know for sure that this would have worked in your case, but when you pull a boat out of the water, it's common practice to spray it with a squirt bottle of 50/50 white wine vinegar and distilled water to remove the hard water deposits.
If car paint isn't much different than marine paint I would say its a good thing to do along with not harming what ever protector was put on. Maybe a quick stop to an automotive store someone can find a automotive specific product that does this?

·
Registered
30 Posts

I did not use the wipes but did use the actual 303 spray on my 2013 Volt and did not have issues. It did not seem to do as good a job as vinylex but I didn't get discoloring... Just to double check but we are not talking about the glossy plastic but the more vinyl-like non-leather stuff, right? So weird and unfortunate. It's supposed to be good stuff but I did notice it took a good cleaning followed by two applications to get a good protected "look".

·
Registered
204 Posts
+1 on the Nu Finish. Great stuff that I've been using since it first came out. EZ on. EZ off. Long lasting. Advertising says apply at 1 year intervals, but I find 6 months is better.

I've got some spray stuff for the vinyl on my motorcycle. It's called "SC1" and is made by Maxima Racing Lubricants. I like how it goes on and the finish it leaves. I suspect it's silicone based, because the concrete floor of the garage is slippery from overspray.

On the Bolt, I use it on the outer lower trim. I slide a piece of cardboard along the top edge of the trim to keep the spray off the paint. I can't vouch for long-term use on the Bolt (new 2/17), but everything on my 4-year old motorcycle looks in good shape.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mother's Back to Black

On flat black unpainted plastic I found Mother's B-t-B works well to preserve the black plastic. Kept my 2003 PT Cruiser looking great. Also never take your car thru a car wash. Best to use a self car wash and just use the pressure spray. Bring a bucket and car wash that does NOT remove wax. 1st time rinse car and fill bucket add wash and hand wash. 2nd through rinse.
Wipe on as much B-t-B as possible then when done wipe off any excess. It acts like a sun screen. Grey black plastic looks gross.
Greg

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've used 303 for a number of years on several different cars. The only issue I've had is the occassional streaking, but if you really saturate the area and let it sit a bit, it evens back out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts