Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual refers to a '32 amp setting' in the case of Location Specific charging. Where is this setting made ? What is the default for a L2 charger ? I have a Juice Box rated at 40 amps plugged into a 50 amp circuit so what should the Bolt be drawing ?

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
The manual refers to a '32 amp setting' in the case of Location Specific charging. Where is this setting made ? What is the default for a L2 charger ? I have a Juice Box rated at 40 amps plugged into a 50 amp circuit so what should the Bolt be drawing ?
Default for an L2 charger is to charge at the max rate that the EVSE can provide, or the max that the car needs. Don't worry about setting something. The charge rate seems to only be for the L1 portable EVSE that the car comes with.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Since you're on a 50A Circuit don't worry about anything. The car can only charge at 32A.

If you were to use the juicebox on a 30A or less circuit, then you would set the Current in the settings to 80% of whatever your breaker is.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Since you're on a 50A Circuit don't worry about anything. The car can only charge at 32A.

If you were to use the juicebox on a 30A or less circuit, then you would set the Current in the settings to 80% of whatever your breaker is.
The Bolt doesn't let you set the current rate that it will draw from an L2 EVSE. Some EVSE allow you to select a max current rate, but most are fixed from the factory.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The Bolt doesn't let you set the current rate that it will draw from an L2 EVSE. Some EVSE allow you to select a max current rate, but most are fixed from the factory.
Nope, pity also.. It should be able to since the charger is onboard.

You set the Current in the Juicebox Settings.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Nope, pity also.. It should be able to since the charger is onboard.

You set the Current in the Juicebox Settings.
I'm of two minds about being able to set your own current rate on an EVSE. Part of me likes the flexibility that it offers me. But the other part of me fears the people who aren't responsible enough to set the correct rate when plugging into certain outlets, or use plug adapters incorrectly. Like forgetting to set the EVSE to 24A when plugging into a 14-30 dryer outlet because they last used it in an 14-50 outlet.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Personally, I don't care if other people are stupid enough to set their houses on fire.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Personally, I don't care if other people are stupid enough to set their houses on fire.
You should care because it might be someone who lives next to you, or someone you love.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
1) My family isn't that stupid

2) Neither are my neighbors (two of 4 have EVs, BTW).

·
Registered
100 Posts
My thought is that setting the CURRENT should be required during setup. (or in the darn CAR!)

Or a reminder tag on the adapter cords.

I'll admit when I first plugged it in (to a 30A circuit), I thought it was a 30A car (it's actually 32A) and was confused when I popped the breaker. I did not know about the 80% rule either.

But then again, if you have one like Clipper Creek, where you can't set it. It will force you to wire it in with an electrician (at $100's +permits) and it will be safe for the naive.

I needed to be able to use a 30A Dryer plug for a week until I had a plug put on my 40A Circuit (For an old hottub).

(Feels like an old windows vs mac conversation. Apple Macs would keep you in the walled garden, and linux/windows let you configure lots of things but you could hurt things too. )

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
There's a reason that devices come with specifics plugs on them to prevent you from plugging into an outlet that can't support the amount of current draw they want. Or why they're supposed to be hardwired into a circuit that can specifically support it. Circumventing such protections can lead to homes burning down or people getting electrocuted.

·
Registered
508 Posts
My chargepoint is on a 50 circuit. Charges at 32 A and about 7.5 kW most of the charge, then seems to trail off to 0 a little more slowly. It is just plug and go. I let the Bolt set the start time (11 pm to get off peak rate in the Bay Area from PGE. Since I live at the top of a hill, I use Hill Top Reserve and it charges to about 200 mi range. No EV's that close to us.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts