Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently the next generation Nissan Leaf could provide up to 340 miles of range. Pretty significant. The next generation is due in 2018 which will be before the Model 3 comes out. The concept car that they previewed at the Tokyo Motor Show last November featured a 60kWh batter pack that they said would provide 310-340 miles of range. The only thing that's left to consider is if it'll be able to meet Nissan's price and durability targets.

·
Registered
862 Posts
That range number is likely based on the NEDC (New European Driving Cycle). The 2016 30 kWh LEAF is rated at 155 miles on the NEDC. The EPA rates it as 107. 310 would be double the current 155 with double the battery capacity. I assume the 340 range would depend on batteries becoming available with higher energy density (Wh/kg) resulting in a much lighter vehicle.

The EPA's city test is 31 minutes long, for example, while the European "Urban" test is 13 minutes long.

NEDC's "Extra urban" test takes 6 minutes, 40 seconds; the equivalent EPA highway test is 12 minutes, 45 seconds.

Reflecting differing traffic conditions between centuries-old European cities and sprawling post-war suburbia in the U.S., speeds are different too.

During that 13-minute NEDC urban test, the highest speed attained barely exceeds 30 mph, and that rate is maintained for a mere 12 seconds.

The rest of the test is made up of slow acceleration and deceleration, while more than 2 minutes is spent at a standstill.

By comparison, the EPA's city test occasionally reaches almost 60 mph, while the rest of it is spent accelerating up to 30 mph and then returning to a dead stop--and repeating--for true stop-start driving that's much harder on efficiency.

It's the same with highway testing--not only are the EPA's tests longer, but cars spend much more time at greater speeds.

The basic highway test cycle still only tops out at an unrealistic 60 mph, and averages only 48 mph, so it's not representative of real-world driving today.

The EPA also takes into account extra variability, such as 'High Speed', 'Air Conditioner,'and 'Cold Temperature' tests, to adjust the city and highway efficiency posted on every new car's window sticker to keep it relevant to real-world use.

That all adds up to significant differences between U.S. range ratings for electric cars and those found on identical cars in Europe.

U.S. combined range ratings are generally considered accurate for electric cars operated in temperate climates, where cabin heating isn't required.

·
Registered
730 Posts
As great as that is, one problem is they lack the culture and appeal Tesla has and it's a big deal, it's why people buy iPhones without thinking about it much but down the road discover an Android would be better for them. But it's not often you find someone with an Android that find they NEED an Apple iPhone even after knowing what it can and can't do. I have a feeling that's the case here.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a pretty crazy difference, I had no idea it worked like that :| To be completely honest, I didn't even know what that was until you mentioned it admittedly.

But I can agree to that... Tesla is like the Apple iPhone of the EV world

·
Registered
263 Posts
If Nissan can actually produce a 340 mile range EV with real world drive data to back this up then I'm all for it but, I've been reading a bit and most articles mention a range of 210 to 220 mile for their 60kWh battery.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If Nissan can actually produce a 340 mile range EV with real world drive data to back this up then I'm all for it but, I've been reading a bit and most articles mention a range of 210 to 220 mile for their 60kWh battery.
That's a significant difference between real word mile range vs spec sheet mile range. Is that even legal ?!

·
Registered
263 Posts
That's a significant difference between real word mile range vs spec sheet mile range. Is that even legal ?!
Maybe that was the concept model's range number? They don't even have a production model ready so the actual real world range is still up in the air.

You can probably get that kind of mileage, but you have to drive rrrrreeeeeaaaaaalllllyyyyy sssssssssssllllllllloooooooooowwwwwwwwww....... ;-)

This guy drove a 24kwh Leaf 188 miles, but it took 10.5 hours!

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=296190#p296190
He was going at an average speed of 15.4mph... I'd go nuts after the first ten minutes at that speed let alone 10.5 hours! sure you'd probably be able to squeeze a few more miles out of the Leaf by doing that but I assume a majority of us won't.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
an average of 15.4mph. I could never do that for anything over 5 minutes :| How is it possible for one to drive so long, at that speed. How does one not get a ticket for obstructing traffic or something ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts