Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tinted their Bolt windshield with 90% Crystalline? I did 70 on the front windows and 40 on the rear windows. Now I'm considering doing the windshield. Do you think there will be a glare problem? I've read reports that the curvature of the glass has caused glare issues and I'm wondering how the windshield would react with tint. Also, how much would Crystalline windshield installation cost? I paid $800 for Crystalline installation on everything else besides windshield at Mike's tint shop in Orange, CA. They wanted an extra $350 for the windshield.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
This is all very new to me as I only know one person where I am that has actually tinted their windshield. But it's a show-car so it kind of makes sense and he doesn't get hassled for it at all.

But, I know it's heavily illegal and they don't waste anytime with letting you know it if they see you. Can you guys post some photos of the windshield with tint on it from the outside ? Is it that noticeable?

·
Registered
6 Posts
3m Crystalline 70 on the windshield doesn't look like anything, I just got my bolt done (70 windshield, 50 everywhere else). In california, look around -- like 1 in 4 cars have insane tints and half of all cars are probably "illegally" tinted. I had a car with dark-as-night tint for the last 8 years and no problems ever. At least in cal.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Why tint, looks cool? Easy on the eyes? My association with tinting is either mobsters (east coast) or gangstas (west coast), no interest in it myself, just curious.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Why tint, looks cool? Easy on the eyes? My association with tinting is either mobsters (east coast) or gangstas (west coast), no interest in it myself, just curious.
;)I like tint, in moderation. Too light is a waste of money, too dark is dangerous and a potential big hassle.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I've got a CHP neighbor friend, maybe I should test the friendship and 100% tint :nerd:

I have to admit it looks kind of spiffy on the white bolt. I'm not going to do it, I like to keep things stock if for no other reason, but how much does it cost? Do they remove the window or do it in place? How is it done, a film that is baked on I'd imagine, or something similar I'd hope.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd actually been hoping for a dual effect. 1st to block the IR that heats up the dash and then coats the window with some water soluble film. 2nd to have an anti reflective layer. If you ever look at a store that doesn't have AR glass compared to one that does, it is a huge difference in the visibility through the window during the daytime. Cause if it doesn't do the anti-reflective, then I'll probably have to put something on the dash to keep the reflections down.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
no one can even see 90% VLT crystalline, but it blocks 90% of IR and 99% of UV. the point is thermal control.
I thought the percentages measuring tint were the % of light allowed through, i.e. 70% lets more through than 50%. Is the amount of IR (not UV) allowed through the converse? If you “allow” 90% of light through, do you “block” 90% of the infrared spectrum? If you “allow” 70% (darker), do you actually “block” less IR?

·
Registered
624 Posts
VLT is visible light transmission, so you're right that 90% lets in more light than 70%. however, IR and UV are not visible, so that number doesn't really apply. the amount of rejection depends on the technology used. 3m crystalline is supposed to be one of the best, and it's pretty expensive. specs below:

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
In sun-intense areas like Nevada, tint is a near-must. The biggest thing I'm missing since trading in my tinted-to-legal-limits Malibu is the sun protection. Both temperature and UV/glare. As such, tinting costs are higher out here as well. A full car will cost upwards of $400 at a reputable shop that guarantees their work against any defect large or small. The Bolt goes in next week for similar 3M Crystalline coverage. It was a rough month without it...

Nevada tint limits
Tint darkness for sedans:
Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed above the manufacturer's AS-1 line.
Front Side windows: Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Back Side windows: Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window: Any darkness can be used.

Tint Variance: State laws allow 7% light transmission tolerance.
Certificates: Manufacturers of film need to certify the film they sell in Nevada. Ask your dealer if they are using certified film.
Stickers: No sticker to identify legal tinting is required.

NRS 484D.440  Restrictions on tinting of windshield or side or rear window.

1.  As used in this section, unless the context otherwise requires, “light transmission” means the ratio of the amount of light which is allowed to pass through a product or material to the amount of light which falls on it.

2.  Except as otherwise provided in subsections 3, 4 and 5 a person shall not:

(a) Place, install, affix or apply upon the windshield or any side or rear window of a motor vehicle which is required to be registered in this State; or

(b) Operate on any highway a motor vehicle required to be registered in this State on which there has been placed, installed, affixed or applied upon the windshield or any side or rear window of the motor vehicle,

Ê any transparent material which alters the color or reduces the light transmission of the windshield or side or rear window.

3.  The prohibition set forth in subsection 2 does not apply to:

(a) A window that is to the immediate right or left of the driver if the window is:

(1) Nonreflective; and

(2) Has a total light transmission through the combination, if any, of transparent material and safety glazing of not less than 35 percent with a tolerance of 7 percent.

(b) A side window that is to the rear of the driver, or a rear window, if the vehicle has outside mirrors on each side that are located so as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror for a distance of not less than 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.

(c) Any transparent material that is installed, affixed or applied to the topmost portion of the windshield if:

(1) The bottom edge of the material is not less than 29 inches above the undepressed driver’s seat when measured from a point 5 inches in front of the bottom of the backrest with the driver’s seat in its rearmost and lowermost position with the vehicle on a level surface; and

(2) The material is not red or amber in color.

4.  The prohibition set forth in paragraph (b) of subsection 2 does not apply to a motor vehicle with a model year of 1993 or older, if transparent material was placed, installed, affixed or applied upon the windshield or any side or rear window of the motor vehicle before July 1, 1993.

5.  This section does not prohibit the operation or sale of a motor vehicle which has a windshield or windows that are covered by or treated with any material, if the vehicle was sold when new or could have been sold when new with such material as standard or optional equipment without violating any federal statute or regulation governing the sale at the time of manufacture.

6.  The Director may, by regulation, provide for exemptions and exceptions from the provisions of subsection 2.

7.  For the purposes of NRS 483.473, a violation of subsection 2 is not a moving traffic violation.

(Added to NRS by 1993, 2433) — (Substituted in revision for NRS 484.6195)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Note, the Bolt EV windows (in my 2019) are "E" glass rated, i.e. they block infrared energy. I suppose adding tinting would improve on this. However, as others have mentioned, tinting can cause other issues with driving safety and tickets.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Front window tinting is not a good thing IMO. Other drivers cannot see you and therefore they don't know if you see them.... A little communication in many instances is worth lot more than blocking a bit more light in the side windows.

Reactions: One1whaoo.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts