Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after a couple weeks of owning my Bolt I decided to actually work to get good mileage and ended up with 4.5miles per kWh today on 123 Miles while running Uber/Lyft .. trying to be quick and efficient ..a total of 32 stops (pu/drop offs) .

I was at 4.8 miles per kWh until I had to take someone 13 miles down the highway and 13 back .. 70 miles an hour took its toll.

Easily 260 miles today if I just did city runs.

I am pretty much a leadfoot so for me to slow down to 2 miles above speed limit was pretty good. It is NOT easy in the Bolt to back off acceleration from a stoplight ..

SO my goal is at least get the 238 miles but I am going to work for 250-260 every day.. until it starts to get cold anyways

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
When we examine the four "T"s of range, temperature (outside), terrain (not "hills" per se, but net elevation change {although since when you descend the hill, you only recapture ~65% of the energy you spent ascending it, multiple hills do take their toll}), technique (top speed and # of high-acceleration {jack-rabbit} starts), and temperature (inside setting {energy is lost when heating or cooling the cabin}), we find that it is not the multiple starts and stops of city driving that increases mi/kWh, but the fact that your top speeds {with its parasitic drag} are usually kept much lower than highway traveling. Manage the two "T"s over which you have control, and you will increase range significantly.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Bolt LT, Cajun Red (w/o fast charge)
9 Posts
So after a couple weeks of owning my Bolt I decided to actually work to get good mileage and ended up with 4.5miles per kWh today on 123 Miles while running Uber/Lyft .. trying to be quick and efficient ..a total of 32 stops (pu/drop offs) .

I was at 4.8 miles per kWh until I had to take someone 13 miles down the highway and 13 back .. 70 miles an hour took its toll.

Easily 260 miles today if I just did city runs.

View attachment 30296

I am pretty much a leadfoot so for me to slow down to 2 miles above speed limit was pretty good. It is NOT easy in the Bolt to back off acceleration from a stoplight ..

SO my goal is at least get the 238 miles but I am going to work for 250-260 every day.. until it starts to get cold anyways
Hey, good job!
For me anything over 4 is AOK in my book.
When it gets cold, make sure you remember to set your pre-start conditions, departure charging, and be plugged in.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I tend to get between 6.0-6.2 miles per kWh with my wife's lil' SparkEV. (She gets around 5.5m/kWh.) But it has other limitations, including the faster degradation of battery (lost 2 kWh out of original 18.5, almost 11%, in about 20K miles). But it is our 'close to home' car (60-70 miles roundtrip), generally less than 20m a day. Most efficient EV I've ever driven (well, if you don't count the electric bike).

·
Registered
538 Posts
As you get used to the car and pay attention to the details and the nuances, I think you can continue to improve the efficiency. I started out with about 4.0 mi/kWh two years ago but now I get around 5.0 mi/kWh on the highways in summer as long as the temperatures don't shoot up too high.

·
Registered
38 Posts
As you get used to the car and pay attention to the details and the nuances, I think you can continue to improve the efficiency. I started out with about 4.0 mi/kWh two years ago but now I get around 5.0 mi/kWh on the highways in summer as long as the temperatures don't shoot up too high.
How the freak do you pull that off on the highways without being THAT guy that's driving 30mph under the speed limit?

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
374 Posts
That is a very good result for the use case.

Last week, I hit my second best efficiency commute, 6.2 mpk over 130 miles (6.5 mpk is my best). That suggests a theoretical range over 370 miles (60kWh * 6.2 mpk).

Of course, weather plays a key role. Winter driving is generally under 5mpk, and as low as 3.2 on extreme days.

I come nowhere close to this around town, maybe 5-5.5 at best and typically in the mid to high 4s.

Clearly, freeway speeds of 55+ take a toll, when I use Interstate instead of my preferred route, it is the same distance, 5-10 minutes faster, but stretches where 70MPH is about as slow as you dare go. It is also significantly less efficient, low to mid 5 is about the best I can do with Interstate the whole way.

With less construction and congestion, the backroad route is far more relaxing and scenic, not to mention efficient.

The GOM this morning reads 263 miles @88% HT Reserve.

·
Registered
361 Posts
How the freak do you pull that off on the highways without being THAT guy that's driving 30mph under the speed limit?
IIRC, Wesley is in South Korea.
"The speed limit on most city streets and rural two-lane roads is 60–80 km/h, but the limit on expressways managed by the Korea Expressway Corporation ranges between 100 km/h and 120 km/h. Four-lane roads between cities generally have an 80 km/h limit."

·
Registered
538 Posts
Most of the expressways I travel on have 100km/h (62mph) limit and I just set the cruise speed to that. Keeping to the furthest lane from the middle usually works fine because that's reserved for trucks and buses that legally need to drive at 20km/h (12mph) slower (i.e. 80km/h or 50mph). Obviously, they tend to drive a bit faster than that in reality, which works to my favour. The faster traffic on the closest lane from the middle generally go at around 110 to 120km/h (68 to 75mph) so when I need to pass the slow truck I accelerate to that then go back to the original lane.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yesterday I went 120 miles..about the same ..123 miles as the day before and ended up with 4.7.

Very nice to wake up in the morning and see 268 as "expedited" miles for the day based on yesterdays driving.

I realize GM and all the others have a built-in reserve but considering this is a 3-year-old EV ...I am very happy that it is capable of going that far. When I purchased I fully expected to get as 220 Miles considering it was a 3 year old car/battery instead of the rated 238

I am installing the 32amp charger today ..

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
When I purchased I fully expected to get as 220 Miles considering it was a 3 year old car/battery instead of the rated 238
My almost three year old easily has this range, but I'm at half your mileage though. So in another three years, I should be in good shape then. The Bolt's batteries are proving to be solid. Not solid state, just a solid product.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just picked a Premier up and my usual is 190 miles fully charged. I have aftermarket tires and my 120 mile round trip commute is 80 miles at 70-80mph, so I think I’m happy with that. I usually end up at 3.3/kWh.

·
Registered
303 Posts
sounds about right for highway travel at that speed. 3.3 kWh. Lots of wind resistance.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I've averaged 5.0 miles/kWh since I had to reset the odometer 15,000 miles ago for a software upgrade/recall on my '17. Took a picture of my histogram screen today that shows a mixture of different driving around town with some elevation changes. Easier to maintain efficiency this time of year without having to run the air conditioner as much in the mornings. Also try to stay off the highways if I can. Really is a wash time wise as it takes me 5 minutes to get to the highway where I can almost get into town on the back roads in 5 minutes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts