Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here in prince George BC we're experiencing some very cold temperatures. Monday was -29h low was -35, range was just 210 km,my drive to work is 120k return. I got home with 40k range and was pretty chilly by the time I got home.
Tues hit -40 on the way in, the car cold soaks all day get in it says-29 also tells me propulsion is reduced. By the time I got home it drops another 3 degrees to-32. It's probably going to minus 40 tonight. Will update Wednesday

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Br...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Last winter I had to park a vehicle overnight at -22 F and wondered if that has been my bolt would I have been dead in the water. Guess I would have been OK.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts

Just saying... such funny name for a car. :)

Reactions: kkdmsn

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Now, my +40F experience today...

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Since last full charge and I charge nightly, so this is just today. 57 miles, range from 35-75 MPH... obviously the 75 MPH is on the Interstate. I find the efficiency also vary widely depending on how you accelerate/decelerate.

Lifetime now at 4.2 miles/KWh due to lots of battery powered HVAC in the summer from all the test drives. The car had over a hundred miles when I got it, I figure maybe 20-40 test drives.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
This is what I had to contend with. I admit, the Bolt doesn't do well with icing conditions but this was particularly bad and honestly worse than what I experienced last year so it could be a one off. First off, the Bolt is garaged, a heated garage (39 degrees). It was barely misting, off/on but mostly off. What was icing me up was the water kicked up from the cars in front and the Bolt did not do a good job of shedding it. I had the MAX defrost on the entire time, temp set to 80 and the fan at setting 6. I started off dry and clean, in 20 miles the wipers were completely 'dirty' with ice.

20200111_143737.jpg

20200111_143819.jpg

This is what I had when I got back home;

20200111_151338.jpg

@p7wang This small trip to downtown Milwaukee had a 2mi/kWh performance due to the heater settings and real world driving conditions in a colder state. BTW, there was no battery conditioning listed on the Energy display so this was purely freeway driving and heater.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Since last full charge and I charge nightly, so this is just today. 57 miles, range from 35-75 MPH... obviously the 75 MPH is on the Interstate. I find the efficiency also vary widely depending on how you accelerate/decelerate.

Lifetime now at 4.2 miles/KWh due to lots of battery powered HVAC in the summer from all the test drives. The car had over a hundred miles when I got it, I figure maybe 20-40 test drives.
Ok thanks, the last time I asked you were driving less miles and no freeway.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
This is what I had to contend with. I admit, the Bolt doesn't do well with icing conditions but this was particularly bad and honestly worse than what I experienced last year so it could be a one off. First off, the Bolt is garaged, a heated garage (39 degrees). It was barely misting, off/on but mostly off. What was icing me up was the water kicked up from the cars in front and the Bolt did not do a good job of shedding it. I had the MAX defrost on the entire time, temp set to 80 and the fan at setting 6. I started off dry and clean, in 20 miles the wipers were completely 'dirty' with ice.

This is what I had when I got back home;

View attachment 28070

@p7wang This small trip to downtown Milwaukee had a 2mi/kWh performance due to the heater settings and real world driving conditions in a colder state. BTW, there was no battery conditioning listed on the Energy display so this was purely freeway driving and heater.
The wipers are certainly odd...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Here in prince George BC we're experiencing some very cold temperatures. Monday was -29h low was -35, range was just 210 km,my drive to work is 120k return. I got home with 40k range and was pretty chilly by the time I got home.
Tues hit -40 on the way in, the car cold soaks all day get in it says-29 also tells me propulsion is reduced. By the time I got home it drops another 3 degrees to-32. It's probably going to minus 40 tonight. Will update Wednesday
I'm a few hours south of you and have been receiving warnings and alerts from Onstar about the cold...every 6 hours. One is saying the car is being immobilized. The other saying that it should be plugged in. It has been plugged in for a number of weeks now due to not being able to get up my driveway so basically immobilized anyway. But I worry about the warning now. I'm away for a couple weeks through this deep freeze so I wonder.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Kudos to you cold weather folks. No way would I own an electric car living in those conditions. As a matter of fact, no way would I live in those conditions. Greeting from sunny CA....

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Kudos to you cold weather folks. No way would I own an electric car living in those conditions. As a matter of fact, no way would I live in those conditions. Greeting from sunny CA....
I'm ok having an EV in this cold environment. But I keep the car in a garage and not sitting outside. The garage is heated to about 36-38 degree's though. It never sits more than 8 hours in the cold and I can plug it in to L1 at work if I wanted to.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have left my Bolt sitting out unplugged in sub-zero F temps (never -40 though!). I don't worry about it as long as I intend to drive it within 24 hours. Long term storage I would have some concerns about the battery electrolyte freezing.

EVs are better in cold temps than ICEVs. For the most part, you are plugging the EV in anyway. And if not, you can use some battery power to pre-condition. By contrast, an ICEV needs a block warmer just to start at those temperatures.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Here's my updated experience. Got up this morning it was -39 range was under 200k,that was full charge. Temp in PG was a record-45, no real problem, the problem I have is with the distance I have to go home with, I had to get together with my son and do some running around. Car was great but it knocked my range down to 75 k, while I may have been able to make it home I didn't want to take the chance. So now I'm sitting at a LVL 3 charger getting up to at least 120 k range. Bottom line is the car just works!
Now if I could talk the wife into one of the ev trucks ?.
Will post up Thurs with more of my experience. Stay warm everyone.
Ps one that has happened since the cold his my regeneration has almost stopped working.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Isn't negative Kelvin theoretically impossible?

This winter so far has been quite mild in SE Wisconsin. I'm waiting for the inevitable polar vortex to sweep in and send temperatures to -28F like last year.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts