Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I got my bolt back in mid January, I was lucky to get the only one the dealer had on their lot, A nice Dark Grey Premier. I have been enjoying the drive every day since than.

EV's are nothing new to me, I have been working on the industry even before the Tesla Roadster days, but I never actually owned a high speed EV till now, (I own a NEV), the Bolt is the car that makes sense to me due to my commute (90 miles a day on the busiest freeways in the world) and now that I finally got my HOV stickers, my commute is actually enjoyable.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Welcome and nice snatch up on the last one. What have you been doing as a job in the EV industry before the roadster?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
EV Industry...

Hi all,

Thanks for the welcoming. Many years ago I worked for a company that did car testing for manufactures, we were lucky enough to get access to the R&D departments for GM, Mazda, Honda, Subaru, Toyota, MB etc, and I got a glimpse of what was coming... we also had full access to Daewoo Factory plants, at the time, sister company of SSangYong motors, so our company had access to factory glider vehicles, the idea was born to start an electric vehicle company (even before Tesla) because the government was offering incentives to R&D for new technologies, the company imported P/U trucks and started Phoenix Motor Cars, a small group of engineers (including my self) built the first PMI EV truck and got it to at a conference on the "Withe House Lawn" at the same time in our R&D department we where prototyping vehicles for Zero Truck, Project Better Place, Fly The Road, Coda, and a few other start up companies that didn't survive the madness, sooooo yeah I have been around the EV industry,:D:D (sorry for the long writing but I get excited talking about my EV background)

Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks for the welcoming. Many years ago I worked for a company that did car testing for manufactures, we were lucky enough to get access to the R&D departments for GM, Mazda, Honda, Subaru, Toyota, MB etc, and I got a glimpse of what was coming... we also had full access to Daewoo Factory plants, at the time, sister company of SSangYong motors, so our company had access to factory glider vehicles, the idea was born to start an electric vehicle company (even before Tesla) because the government was offering incentives to R&D for new technologies, the company imported P/U trucks and started Phoenix Motor Cars, a small group of engineers (including my self) built the first PMI EV truck and got it to at a conference on the "Withe House Lawn" at the same time in our R&D department we where prototyping vehicles for Zero Truck, Project Better Place, Fly The Road, Coda, and a few other start up companies that didn't survive the madness, sooooo yeah I have been around the EV industry,:D:D (sorry for the long writing but I get excited talking about my EV background)

Cheers.
Are you still in the EV industry?

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
currently working for Faraday Future.
Oh jeez.. how's that going? The news reports paint a pretty shaky business. I guess a lot of tech start ups are. It was no different in Henry Ford's time either. At one time in America, automobiles and airplanes were hot new buzz words and there where no shortage of people willing to risk it all to be in those businesses. Most start ups back then went broke. At best they were bought up by more established firms.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, there is a lot of speculation about the company finances, I have been down this road before, my previous employer is still up and running, producing electric shuttles buses, after all this years and I don't think they have made a profit yet, lets not forget that Tesla was giving IOU's to some of their employees for a wile wen things got really tough...

My paycheck keeps coming every week on time :D:D

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Yeah, there is a lot of speculation about the company finances, I have been down this road before, my previous employer is still up and running, producing electric shuttles buses, after all this years and I don't think they have made a profit yet, lets not forget that Tesla was giving IOU's to some of their employees for a wile wen things got really tough...

My paycheck keeps coming every week on time :D:D

Cheers
Sweet. I imagine you keep your feelers out just incase. It seems like there is no shortage of start up EV makers these days wanting to be the next Tesla.

Since you are so intimately familiar with BEVs and now you have a Bolt, do you contemplate ways you could make it better? Perhaps even quicker?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Awesome to have you here, I am sure you will be a great asset to the community!

What do you think of the Bolt so far from your perspective in the industry?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi guys, to answer your questions, my Bolt has been very popular around here, so far I'm the first person to own a Bolt out of 1000+ employees, there is a ton of Volt's, Prius, Fiat, leafs, Fusion, many other hybrids and a handful of Tesla so I get a lot of questions about my car, it even has been used for some bench-marking. my perspective about the Bolt is that it perfectly fills the gap between the drivers that need more range but cant justify paying a lot for car, most of the employees here that have full electric commute around 25 miles, the ones that own the hybrids commute around 50 miles, that was the category I fall in to, and I came very close to buying a Volt, but I am absolutely glad that I waited for the Bolt.

My feeling based on the questions I get asked is that consumers are still finding it hard to fully trust electric vehicles, and also having to change their driving habits, unless they know someone that owns an EV and/or they get to drive one from a rental car company, or ride share etc. the transition from a much cheaper and familiar IC car to an ev will be slow, specialty for cars like the Bolt with a higher price tag, so its up to us, and to places and community like yours to keep showing the world how much better Ev's are, invite people to ride with you and let them drive your car, answer their questions honestly, your likes and dislikes, engineers, developers, designers, are paying close attention (trust me I know) and feel very proud wen they get complimented.

DaV8or,
Do you really think the bolt needs to be better? Perhaps even quicker? I find your questions interesting because they are the same questions I got from one of the engineers that worked for GM on the Bolt before coming to work here, what I told him was that I though GM could have done better with their fit and finish, the sun-visors are one example, they are the cheapest you'll ever see in a car, they don't even have a lighted mirror (on a premier?) my wife's first complaint right away!
and yes it could be a little quicker, (a list the sport button gives you that impression by changing the throttle mapping) but overall the car is fantastic for the very reason I bought it! to commute back and forth from work without having range anxiety, and still have plenty juice left for the weekend family joy rides.

Cheers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts