Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

While some jurisdictions are trying to do as little as possible to take on the earth's collective mission to fight climate change, others are stepping up to do more than their fair share.

A total of 5 countries and 8 states have committed to banning the sale of gasoline-powered vehicles by the yaer 2050. "Which countries and states are those?" you might ask. Well here they are.

The 8 states are those that follow California's zero-emissions vehicle mandate. They are California, Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, Oregon, and Vermont.

Countries signing on to this goal include Germany, the UK, the Netherlands, Norway, and Quebec.

The ZEV announcement was made against the backdrop of the United Nations Conference on Climate Change (COP21) taking place in Paris. It's not clear whether the ZEV alliance, which was established only last August, has the legal authority to impose such a mandate—particularly one with such a draconian impact on the automobile market.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
2050 seems a bit late. Why not 2030? I think that was the goal for California so it should be a feasible option elsewhere too and by 2030 there should be quite a few electric vehicle options out there since a few auto companies are already looking into producing one.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you think about the development process for vehicles and how companies would have to develop an entire lineup that's electric. That would take a while and may just be impossible given the scale of battery production available today.

·
Registered
264 Posts
So they have a plan to ban gasoline cars but they don't have a plan for increasing the production of electricity in a cleaner way then the current coal fired manner.

The 'earth' does not have a collective mission...

If we REALLY cared about climate change we would stop buying cheap made in china goods that contribute to their black skies. Why don't you ask the Somali's if they give a-about climate change.

The Germans only care about EV's now because diesel is demonized.

Add to the fact that a 30 year promise is worthless and you have a ton of sound and fury that means nothing.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I like this goal a lot since when you look at the current state we're at and how much longer we have to go till that time comes, it will impact a small minority. Things can really ramp up in a couple decades.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So they have a plan to ban gasoline cars but they don't have a plan for increasing the production of electricity in a cleaner way then the current coal fired manner.

The 'earth' does not have a collective mission...

If we REALLY cared about climate change we would stop buying cheap made in china goods that contribute to their black skies. Why don't you ask the Somali's if they give a-about climate change.

The Germans only care about EV's now because diesel is demonized.

Add to the fact that a 30 year promise is worthless and you have a ton of sound and fury that means nothing.
I don't think its true that they have no plan. At least we cannot assume that. Many places are eliminating coal power production. I know that Ontario has.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I am shocked— *shocked* —to find that vested interests are trying to protect their massive piles of money !!

(with a wink to Claude Rains).

·
Registered
229 Posts
Bazinga asks,"2050 seems a bit late. Why not 2030?..."

Germany has mandated that new vehicles must be EV by 2030, hence the aggressive push by the VW group, Mercedes, BMW to introduce new EV models. The government has also tasked the German auto manufacturers with providing the charging infrastructure to service the needs of their EV owners.

I believe Norway plans a 2035 or 2040 sunset for new ICE sales. But 50% of all sales in that country are already BEV or PHEV.

The rest of the EU is expected to follow suit by 2050.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Countries signing on to this goal include Germany, the UK, the Netherlands, Norway, and Quebec.
Quebec is a province, not a country - it's Canada's equivalent to a US "state". And British Columbia, Canada's left coast province, has also just announced that it will require all light duty cars and trucks to be zero emission by 2040.

One of the reasons for doing this is to signal manufacturers to start making more electric vehicles available. The lack of EV inventory here is holding back sales - you typically have to get on a waiting list for 6 months or more in order to buy a new electric vehicle.

BC and Quebec both generate almost all of their power with hydro-electric dams, so converting to a zero emission fleet will mean a huge reduction in greenhouse gases compared to jurisdictions that generate electricity from fossil fuels.

I recently got an email from Flo, one of Canada's EV charging networks, that says 2018 EV sales in Canada are on track to be more than the previous three years combined.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I recently got an email from Flo, one of Canada's EV charging networks, that says 2018 EV sales in Canada are on track to be more than the previous three years combined.
Hmmm. I thought Flo sold car insurance. (That's a stupid joke about Progressive insurance ads aired in California.)

Concerning the underlines - is that due to Tesla (did the model 3 sales shoot through the roof)?

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
The gassers I'm keeping are going to be worth a ton after they are banned. I've got a most excellent Acura TSX manual I'm keeping and intend to teach my children how to drive stick. Don't know if that will be considered cool in the era of autonomous vehicles, but it's pure joy to me.

Be the "Uncle", from Rush's Red Barchetta:

Lyrics:

https://www.rush.com/songs/red-barchetta/

·
Registered
678 Posts
Quebec is a province, not a country - it's Canada's equivalent to a US "state". And British Columbia, Canada's left coast province, has also just announced that it will require all light duty cars and trucks to be zero emission by 2040.

One of the reasons for doing this is to signal manufacturers to start making more electric vehicles available. The lack of EV inventory here is holding back sales - you typically have to get on a waiting list for 6 months or more in order to buy a new electric vehicle.

BC and Quebec both generate almost all of their power with hydro-electric dams, so converting to a zero emission fleet will mean a huge reduction in greenhouse gases compared to jurisdictions that generate electricity from fossil fuels.

I'm not sure if the OP was going by past experiences or not, but sometimes it does feel like I am living in a different country;)

·
Super Moderator
2,552 Posts
The gassers I'm keeping are going to be worth a ton after they are banned. I've got a most excellent Acura TSX manual I'm keeping and intend to teach my children how to drive stick. Don't know if that will be considered cool in the era of autonomous vehicles, but it's pure joy to me.
You could convert your Acura to electric and keep the 5 speed you know. Just because a car is battery electric does not mean it can't have a transmission.

I hear you though. If the human race survives, I expect that people will still be driving ICE powered vehicles at the turn of the next century. They will be hobbyists (such as you and me), and poor people living in poorly developed countries. Likely they will be powered by ethanol and bio diesel as gasoline and diesel production will all but disappear from the planet.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I'm not sure if the OP was going by past experiences or not, but sometimes it does feel like I am living in a different country;)
I recall an old Wayne & Shuster piece about how close Canada and the US are. They showed two people, an American and a Canadian, saying "they speak alike, they dress alike, they watch the same TV shows. Which one is which?". So they pointed the mic at one and said "You sir, are you a Canadian?".

"No", he replied, "I'm an American".

Pointing the mic at the other person: "So you must be Canadian!"

"Non! Je suis Quebecois!!!!"

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
You could convert your Acura to electric and keep the 5 speed you know. Just because a car is battery electric does not mean it can't have a transmission.

I hear you though. If the human race survives, I expect that people will still be driving ICE powered vehicles at the turn of the next century. They will be hobbyists (such as you and me), and poor people living in poorly developed countries. Likely they will be powered by ethanol and bio diesel as gasoline and diesel production will all but disappear from the planet.
I'm sure I'd break the 6-speed transmission by oversizing the motor and exercising insufficient restraint. The ICE makes something like 215 HP, which is a bit underwhelming in the heavy car, but fun enough. Really it's just rowing the smooth gearbox that is pure joy. Maybe I'll convert it to ethanol one day. It's supposed to run 91 octane anyhow.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I recall an old Wayne & Shuster piece about how close Canada and the US are. They showed two people, an American and a Canadian, saying "they speak alike, they dress alike, they watch the same TV shows. Which one is which?". So they pointed the mic at one and said "You sir, are you a Canadian?".

"No", he replied, "I'm an American".

Pointing the mic at the other person: "So you must be Canadian!"

"Non! Je suis Quebecois!!!!"

Except that they're both "American". As are Mexicans, Colombians, Brazilians...you get the picture. >:)

·
Registered
676 Posts
but but but... it makes a great headline and the politicians get to say they did /something/. Conversation went like this: I banned drinking straws. HA that's nothing I banned gas cars 30 years from now. I love this feel good crap that does much of nothing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts