Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 Bolt - 5000 mile update - I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Happy about:
Operating costs. This thing is cheap to drive.
This car continues to be the appliance I expected.
The "always there" torque makes lane changes simple. That torque also brings grins when needed.
Hatchback functionality. This thing reminds me so much of my '83 GTI as an in town car.

Complaints:
Recirc/Fresh for the hvac doesn't seem to really change what seems to be a constant 50/50 mix.
Car pushes too easily for me (then again, most cars have that issue stock).
The aluminum skin has be a little paranoid about door dings, so I'm extra picky about parking spots.
Infotainment system executed an OTA update without telling me what was going on. Screen was just a chevy bolt logo for about five minutes before it came back up. Car kept driving though.
Cold air range is such that if you're shopping for an electric, cut the range they give you by 50% for worst case days.
Drivers seat is well matched to the 250 mile range. I wouldn't sit in it any longer than that.

Frankly, I can't understand why more people aren't driving one. There are three that I have sighted in my area so far.

·
Registered
501 Posts
BlueStreak said:
...Frankly, I can't understand why more people aren't driving one. There are three that I have sighted in my area so far.
Ditto. Just coming up on 10,000 miles on mine and I love it. Seats are quite comfy and supportive for my body shape 5'10"/175#, love the torque, love the operating costs, love never having to stop at the gas station, etc., etc., etc.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Car pushes too easily for me (then again, most cars have that issue stock).

Infotainment system executed an OTA update without telling me what was going on. Screen was just a chevy bolt logo for about five minutes before it came back up. Car kept driving though.
not sure what you mean by the first one.

the second - are you sure it was an OTA update? they're not supposed to happen without telling you. i've had the screen hang on the splash screen before, and then reset itself, just as you describe. i think it's just a bug.

·
Registered
929 Posts
He means the handling dynamics. 99% of cars made in the past 30 years are by design horribly understeering messes during hard cornering. Ginormous rear sway bar is the usual remedy.

I have also had some screen weirdness a couple of times. Reminds me of my old compact hatch too. My experience is like a mirror of yours...

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I’m coming up on one year with the Bolt, zero issues.

The Bolt is by far the most reliable car I’ve owned.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
I've got nearly 5K milrd on my Bolt. Dealer left a message on my answering service today that OnStar informed them that my Volt needs an oil change and would I like to schedule an appointment.

·
Registered
624 Posts
He means the handling dynamics. 99% of cars made in the past 30 years are by design horribly understeering messes during hard cornering. Ginormous rear sway bar is the usual remedy.

I have also had some screen weirdness a couple of times. Reminds me of my old compact hatch too. My experience is like a mirror of yours...
i know what you mean about the hatch - i came from an '09 gti.

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
Андрей Т.;395946 said:
Bolt's skin is aluminum?
I had no idea.
Yes. It is an incredible piece of engineering. It is a moon shot for GM. My frustration is that motorheads, who normally drool all over the antique tech that the car industry produces, don't get it. And the tech folks who drool all over Teslas don't understand, or refuse to believe, that the Bolt has all that tech at a reasonable price already.

·
Registered
41 Posts
11 months, 22k miles, now I need a another one

Wife's BMW was in the shop for a couple of days, so she drove the Bolt without adult supervision and now I need to buy a second Bolt. Problem is she wants Kinetic Blue color, LT trim with some options.There simply are not a lot of Bolts to choose from, and I live in California. You can get any color you want, as long as it is white. The local dealers have one on their lot.(They list it on both location's web sites.) The next dealer has two, without DCFC. Probably have to go to LA area.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Wife's BMW was in the shop for a couple of days, so she drove the Bolt without adult supervision and now I need to buy a second Bolt. Problem is she wants Kinetic Blue color, LT trim with some options.There simply are not a lot of Bolts to choose from, and I live in California. You can get any color you want, as long as it is white. The local dealers have one on their lot.(They list it on both location's web sites.) The next dealer has two, without DCFC. Probably have to go to LA area.
Your first mistake was letting the missus drive it. My condolences for your loss. Like you said, only way to save your Bolt is give her her own.

BTW, white looks mighty good with black window tints.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.